StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone tried both? What were your thoughts? Which did you like better?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I haven't tried beads. One thing that occurs to me is beads handle rain better for the rider as well as themselves since they let water through instead of making the rider sit in a puddle.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason I ask is I tried the $8 wamart beads. They seemed to make a difference. I decide to make them fit better by cutting out two individual pads for passenger and pillion. That turned into a debacle and ended up with the beads going in the trash. I figure I ought to get something that will fit better and the beads and lambs wool aren't too far off in price. SO I have some experience with the beads but none with the wool. That being said I used to be a bicycle courier and hung out with a lot of motorcycle couriers. I remember many of them sporting the wool seat cover. I figure that's a pretty good endorsement.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't tried beads. One thing that occurs to me is beads handle rain better for the rider as well as themselves since they let water through instead of making the rider sit in a puddle.
That might make a difference in our soggy Southern climate.

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Sheepskin pad gives a little more cushion or comfort. Beads give you some relief from the summer heat and humidity by ventilating your butt.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking maybe I'll get the sheep skin now and the beads in the summer.

I emailed Barb to see if the'd still honor the dead sheep coupon.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,610 Posts
Beads make my a$$ hurt after a couple hours. All the pressure points of the individual beads equal that many little pains. Sheepskin won't make a stock seat into a quality aftermarket seat. They do help and I use them on aftermarket seats. Odd as it may sound, they are MUCH cooler to sit on in the summer heat than a leather or vinyl seat cover. As for the rain, sheep have to stand out in it, and I don't even take my sheepskin covers off or cover them in the rain. Been know to wash the bike with them on ( just not soak them with direct spray ). Never worn one out yet.

·
38,103 Posts
My sheepskin isn't harmed by rain. It just stays wet for a long time if it gets really soaked. I don't like sitting on a cold, wet sheepskin even though it isn't as bad as it probably sounds. It takes a heavy rain to get it in that condition though.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Used both on my Vee. Beads alone for the summer. Kept them on during the winter and threw the sheepskin over it in the winter. A great combination.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also use both at different times. I use the beads in the summer alone, as they're great when it's hot out. I also find that the beads even out pressure on the butt and 7-8 hour rides are not a big deal. Even though I have the tall touring seat that used to be available, the beads also raise me up a bit...still need to add the Richland Rick peg lowering kit. The beads are great when it rains as well by draining away the water.

In the winter I add the sheepskin for a little insulation.

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
I used the beads for a while, the way we sit on our bikes made it very uncomfortable, In the truck they worked great. I use an alaska pad on my spencer modified seat and have no problems doing 400+ mile days.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on sheepskin. It really helps with the heat transfer for a gel seat in the summer. Also Alaska sheepskin is a great company.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Plus one for the sheepskin - over a new-to-me Airhawk for long rides. Also when typing on the computor (the Airhawk, not the sheepskin, that stays on the bike).

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Sheepskin won't make a stock seat into a quality aftermarket seat. They do help and I use them on aftermarket seats. Odd as it may sound, they are MUCH cooler to sit on in the summer heat than a leather or vinyl seat cover.
Agree completely. I only use the sheepskin in summer to avoid "monkey butt."

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had an Alaska Leather for the last 20,000 mikes and have Loved every mile!! I also have one for the pillion and my girl friend will not ride without it! I have a Sargent seat which is a millions times more comfortable than the stock seat, but the Alaska Leather makes it better! Very easy to maintain. I just wash it then borrow my dog's brush to fluff it back up.

Héctor

·
Registered
678 Posts
Had (still have, just don't use) a sheepskin. Didn't find that it made any difference. Did open up a whole new avenue for jokes though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have used a sheepskin cover (not Alaska Leather) and beaded seat pad on a Mean City Cycle hospital-grade, memory foam, modified stock wee seat. Having previously tried a beaded seat on hard seats (both Corbin and Rocky Mayer seats), I found the beads too hard and painful to sit on for more than very few miles. However, with the soft memory foam seat the beads sink in enough to be very comfortable, but not so much that they choke the air flow off. Using a beaded seat with the memory foam is the first option I have had which did not give me monkey butt during the hot, southern summers. That is a huge plus in my book.

I do not like the sheepskin cover as much. Although it is comfortable when first sitting on it, it is much more difficult to shift positions and stay comfortable on longer rides. During the summers I use the beaded seat and in the winters I use a marine grade vinyl covered pad that I made from a Wal-Mart camping pad (3/8' thick of hard foam).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Get up

My sheepskin isn't harmed by rain. It just stays wet for a long time if it gets really soaked. I don't like sitting on a cold, wet sheepskin even though it isn't as bad as it probably sounds. It takes a heavy rain to get it in that condition though.
Get up on the pegs man, attack the road like its a trail.:thumbup:

·
38,103 Posts
Get up on the pegs man, attack the road like its a trail.:thumbup:
I did a lot of that in my youth. I'm 66 but my knees feel decades older and have gone through a couple of surgeries. A few minutes on the pegs are my maximum.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts