StromTrooper banner

Be Kind to a Local Newbie Day?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  motoxusa 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am new to this group and don't have a V-Strom yet but am planning to buy one in the next month or so. I just posted a question to the non-owners group as I am having trouble deciding between the 650 and the 1000.

I'd really be interested in your opinion but was also hoping there might be some kind soul in the Orlando/Central Florida area that might let me take a quick ride (around the block or so) on their 650 or 1000 (You can hold the keys to my '06 Honda Shadow Spirit, my car or my wallet :) ). I know this is a lot to ask but none of the local dealers will let you ride the bike before you buy.

I am determined to move to the Strom from the Honda but hate to make a mistake on which one to buy.

All opinions gratefully accepted!

#3 ·
Everybody has a choice, 650 or 1000. I love my 1000 and don't think I would have been happy with a 650. Got riders in the Meet and Greet section here that love their 650. The choice is one or the other. I have a $20000.00 Harley that now sits in the garage now because of the Vstrom. I have had about 25 bikes in my life and the DL1000 is the most fun bike I have ever riden. It is truly a "Twist and Grin" motorcycle.
Good luck with your choice, either one will be the right choice.

http://whatsnew.fotki.com/cpope3/

#5 ·
DL.65L said:
The Suzuki test rides are at Daytona toward the end of next week. In the past they have had dl1000s and 650s to ride.
I'm always telling people about the demo rides at Bikeweek and I forgot all about it when replying to this post! :roll:

Get over to the Daytona Speedway anytime from March 3, 2006 - March 11, 2006 and ride just about any bike sold by a major manufacturer. You'll need a valid motorcycle license, long pants, over the ankle shoes/boots. Some manufacturers will provide a helmet, but I always take my own. Get to the speedway early and go around to each tent scheduling rides. They take out riders in groups of about 12 with a lead riders and a sweeper in back. Depending on demand and traffic, rides last from 20 to 30 minutes. So just schedule a ride every hour and enjoy!

Found this link, search for "Demo" on the page.

http://www.daytonachamber.com./memb...itle=&f_dept=0&f_type=1&f_sub=0&Submit=Submit

Mike
Tampa, FL
DL650K5

#6 ·
Either bike would serve you well, they're both great. I ride the 650, myself. A few things steered me towards the 650 over the 1000 (a little cheaper, a little better gas mileage, tends to come out a little better in reviews, and seems to be a better sorted package out of the box) but there were two things that decided it for me.

First, I wanted to be able to ride off-road and the 650 is better for that because it's about 40 lbs. lighter. However, the main deciding factor was the fact that my wife is scared of motorcycles, so I know that 99% of my riding would be solo. The few times I've had her on the bike, it handled it just fine. But if I did a lot of two-up riding, I would have gone with the bigger bike.

So I would ride both at the speedway during Bike Week and ask myself how often would I be carrying a pillion, and do I want to do any off-roading?

#7 ·
Many Thanks to All!

Many thanks for all the input. Despite the heavy leaning toward the 1000, I decided on the 650. The max load numbers are identical and I talked my dealer into giving me the tall rather than stock seat so the ergos should be identical. I had a Yamaha FZ6 which had less torque (43 versus 48 for the Wee Strom) and that was plenty and since I never ride 2-up, I decided to go with the 650 for the greater agility.

Sun State Power Sports in Mount Dora gave me a pretty good deal and I am picking it up tomorrow first thing. Can't Wait! I plan on trying to get to the 600 mile service by tomorrow night or Friday at the latest.

Thanks again for all the advice!

#8 ·
Chipgr....You mentioned that you got your new 650 at Sun State Power Sports in Mount Dora. They have a great service department, and their mechanic is very knowledge of the V-Stroms. I was having a nasty problem at low RPMs, and he remapped the injectors and set the idle, and it runs like a dream.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.