StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still green enough that I tend to watch what's going on around me pretty closely. I missed one this morning though.

Stopped at a stop light on a long, straight road. No traffic to speak of. I checked the mirrors and the only thing in sight was a mini-van stopped at the next light back. Couple of seconds later I hear brakes locked up well behind me, or so I thought. Next thing I see is this damn mini-van sliding along the shoulder beside me. This dim-wit soccer mom with a mini-van full of kids wasn't stopped at the red light behind me, she ran the red light behind me and damn near ran the one I was stopped at, right over the top of me! Her brakes locked up sounded like they were well behind me because the sound was muffled by my helmet.

Red bike, red helmet, red jacket, red brake light blazing, and this twit paying more attention to the kids in the van than her driving. Be careful out there, it's a jungle and this one just about got me.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Me to, Robert. I don't think this would have been an injury though, I'm pretty sure it would have been a fatality, or if I was real luck just a serious injury.

The speed limit on that road is 45. Nobody goes that slow, not even the police. It was about 7:30am on a Sunday and there was virtually no traffic. When I heard her brakes lock up I honestly thought it was a couple of blocks away. I glanced in my left mirror, didn't see anything, and then she came sliding by me on the right side. Slid all the way past me, through the intersection, and kept on going like it never happened. I just sat there in the middle of the road for a minute (like an idiot!) trying to figure out what had just happened. By the time I did she was long gone somewhere.

·
Registered
219 Posts
That is the thing that "scares" me the most is some idiot not paying attention. I followed a lady up I-40 the other day and she spent more time looking in the back seat at her kids and playing with her cell phone than she did driving. She was well under the posted and then gave me dirty looks when I passed her on the right side.

Again, glad you were not a fatality. Thinking about it, we had a bike get hit from the rear at a red light locally and killed the rider. The little teen ager was on the phone talking and never even hit her brakes till after she was through the intersection.

I am getting a pair of flashing LEDs for the rear of my bike, SOON!!! :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, glad you were not a fatality. Thinking about it, we had a bike get hit from the rear at a red light locally and killed the rider. The little teen ager was on the phone talking and never even hit her brakes till after she was through the intersection.

I am getting a pair of flashing LEDs for the rear of my bike, SOON!!! :shock:
Yeah, the more I think about it the more it scares me. I guess all we can do is keep our eyes opening and moving around. Lesson for today: Just because it looks like someone is stopped at a light doesn't necessarily mean they are!

FWIW I do have a brake light modulator on my bike and typically will release and pull the brakes at lights just so they will flash. Don't know if I did this morning or not though, but she sure didn't see it. I doubt that she would have seen a strobe light, her mind was not on her driving.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
We are invisible to cages- this is how you MUST ride! You could have flashing neon signs on the back of your bike and it's not enough to keep an idiot from plowing into you! Keep your eyes on those mirrors at stops- at least until a couple of cars are stopped behind you- and leave plenty of space between you and the car you're behind...

·
Registered
961 Posts
I read somewhere that the Florida motocops when stopped at a light leave their bikes in gear with an escape route just in case someone fails to stop, makes sense.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
805gregg said:
I read somewhere that the Florida motocops when stopped at a light leave their bikes in gear with an escape route just in case someone fails to stop, makes sense.
The smart ones probably do. . . :roll:

·
Registered
430 Posts
SCraig said:
I'm still green enough that I tend to watch what's going on around me pretty closely. I missed one this morning though.

Stopped at a stop light on a long, straight road. No traffic to speak of. I checked the mirrors and the only thing in sight was a mini-van stopped at the next light back. Couple of seconds later I hear brakes locked up well behind me, or so I thought. Next thing I see is this damn mini-van sliding along the shoulder beside me. This dim-wit soccer mom with a mini-van full of kids wasn't stopped at the red light behind me, she ran the red light behind me and damn near ran the one I was stopped at, right over the top of me! Her brakes locked up sounded like they were well behind me because the sound was muffled by my helmet.

Red bike, red helmet, red jacket, red brake light blazing, and this twit paying more attention to the kids in the van than her driving. Be careful out there, it's a jungle and this one just about got me.
So many boneheads out there driving cars and trucks. Good to see you weren't hurt. ATGATT is about all that would have helped you if she hit you. If you ride defensively these incidents are few over a lifetime of riding. At least they have been for me. And they make me even more defensive as time goes on. However, being in a motorcycle accident has taught me the greatest lessons on driving defensively. But you don't need to go that route. :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not bike but brain-dead driving. A couple of years ago the Fire and Rescue Depts I am in all got paged at the same time one morning. Every rescue bum and fireman for miles going to the same wreck! Turns out a woman taking her daughter to band practice, with two little brothers in the back seat, crossed the centerline and nailed a pickup truck going the other way. All in the car killed, wiping out an entire family except the father (not in the car), no serious injuries in the truck though. Having seen it I would bet anything the driver was distracted trying to break up a fight in the back seat. The hit was so hard the engine block of the truck was fractured.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've read recently that studies have shown that the distraction of driving while on a cell phone imapirs ability as much (if not more) than being legally intoxicated. Having kids myself I suspect that interacting with your children is just as distracting. I'd like to think that the person who barely missed you took that as a wake up call to pay more attention, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I always leave my bike in first gear at red lights and plenty of room in front of me and the car ahead. An escape route of course... leave nothing to chance.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that's what bothers me most about this whole situation. I almost did everything right. The bike was in gear, clutch pulled, ready to go. Front brake was pulled to keep the brake light on. I checked the mirrors and saw her stopped at the light behind me (or at least I thought I did). I was watching the side streets. I had all my gear on (OK, the pants were jeans but they are Joe Rocket Steel Jeans). The only thing I did wrong was to not keep watching the mirrors and that's what nearly got me. I should have seen what was going on but I didn't.

Someone around here has a line in their signature that reads, "It doesn't matter who is right, it only matters who is left." This incident yesterday really brought that home to me. It was a wake-up call, and one that I got away with. I only saw what I wanted to see, not what was actually happening. I think maybe I'll pay closer attention to things again.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself. There are so many "what ifs" to consider. Like, what if you had seen her coming for you and swerved onto the shoulder to get out of her way. She stomps on the brakes and slides into/over you instead of past you. I understand what you're saying about being aware but you can never predict the outcome of a series of events.

·
Registered
852 Posts
You must stay situationally aware at all times when safely riding a motorcycle. There is no time to listen to music, or handle any other distractions.

As vunerable as we are on motorcycles, we need to fully understand that it only takes a moment to not be on our guard to become seriously injured or worse.

Glad to hear you made it through your "experience" with no damage.

400 pound motorcycles do not fare very well when impacted by 5000 pound SUV's!

We need to get our state legislators to understand the fact that we as motorcyclists do have rights and they are not being protected in some states.

I just read where New York is working on bolstering their laws. Here's the article:

"BINGHAMTON, N.Y. A state lawmaker and members of an organization representing motorcyclists are urging Governor Pataki to sign a measure to crack down on drivers who don't yield to bikers or pedestrians.

The legislation would increase penalties for drivers who fail to yield the right of way, causing crashes that result in death or serious injury.

Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo (LOO'-par-doe) of the Binghamton says the measure has taken on added significance following two recent serious crashes involving motorcyclists in her district in a span of a week.

In one case, a man was killed when his motorcycle collided with a turning car. Six days later, a Broome County sheriff's deputy was seriously hurt when his patrol motorcycle hit a sport utility vehicle making at turn.

In each crash, the other driver was charged with failure to yield the right of way.

Drivers involved in such crashes could have their license suspended or revoked under the measure approved by the state Assembly and Senate."

A nicely written letter to your state legislator might get a response. I know mine did.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Scott -
I'm glad you're still here to post about it!.

Face it, no one is a perfect rider, we all "fall asleep at the wheel" , from time to time. Hopefully, that't not the time we get whacked.

Thanks for your story. It will keep me more diligent while riding, at least for a time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts