StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be up in the area in September. This is my intended route:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Vancouver,+BC,+Canada&daddr=Whistler,+BC,+Canada+to:Kamloops,+BC,+Canada+to:Jasper+National+Park,+Jasper,+AB,+Canada+to:Banff,+AB,+Canada+to:Whitefish,+MT&hl=en&ll=50.736455,-118.740234&spn=27.86034,86.572266&sll=52.882391,-118.059082&sspn=6.618193,21.643066&geocode=Faqq7wIdOW6p-CmzT6lD8XOGVDGL84Gb6paRuw;FeC2_AId1NGr-CmHe5UDsjyHVDH2z_V16EG3Sg;FVo7BQMdnfPT-CkxOw090yx-UzHnRWmaqpY-0g;FbDmJAMddev0-CGS0ZvObUpy4Skbh0KRyymDUzGS0ZvObUpy4Q;FXvrDAMdr4cc-Sn9SgyRRcpwUzFjlKzavq6vyg;FcSx4gIdn1gv-Sm17K8Uq2lmUzE-RjeIa3rKzA&oq=Jasp&mra=ls&t=m&z=4

So all you folks who live up in that neck of the woods, give me some advice, is this a good route? Feel free to make changes to the map and repost it. I'm meeting up with my cousin in Seattle and he's on a Honda Silverwing, just to keep in mind as far as road conditions.

If anyone knows any great places to stay, or places to eat, please share!

I've got about 5-6 days to do the loop.

If anyone wants to join up for a day or two or whatever that'd be cool also!

Thanks!:thumbup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
You're route is very good, especially if it's your first time in the area. The Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise is nothing short of magnificent. However, the route from Kamloops to Jasper, in my opinion, isn't a great ride.

Here is a much longer alternative route for your consideration. It doesn't make it to Jasper, but is fantastic. Focuses more on out of the less touristy areas and more on great motorcycle roads.

Seattle, WA, USA to Whitefish, Mt, USA - Google Maps

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the change to the route Rod, however the "Going to the Sun" road closes Sept. 22. I ran into this problem the last time I was up the begining of October.

I can probably get to Logan Pass from the west side on "Going to the Sun", but not coming from the east side.

I'll be up to Seattle by the 23rd or 24th then have 5-6 days for the loop.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're route is very good, especially if it's your first time in the area. The Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Lake Louise is nothing short of magnificent. However, the route from Kamloops to Jasper, in my opinion, isn't a great ride.

Here is a much longer alternative route for your consideration. It doesn't make it to Jasper, but is fantastic. Focuses more on out of the less touristy areas and more on great motorcycle roads.

Seattle, WA, USA to Whitefish, Mt, USA - Google Maps
I love that route also!

I rode from Vernon, BC to Wenatchee, WA a few years ago. Apple orchard overload! Hahaha..

This time I was avoiding the Kelowna area only because I'd been through it before. I've never been through Vancouver or up around Whistler and north that direction.

Maybe I should go Kamloops to Vernon and around to Banff that way..:thumbup:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I love that route also!

I rode from Vernon, BC to Wenatchee, WA a few years ago. Apple orchard overload! Hahaha..

This time I was avoiding the Kelowna area only because I'd been through it before. I've never been through Vancouver or up around Whistler and north that direction.

Maybe I should go Kamloops to Vernon and around to Banff that way..:thumbup:
The epic section is from Nakusp to Nelson (actually the Balfour Ferry) and then to Creston. I am not exaggerating to say these are some of the very best motorcycle roads BC has to offer. Maybe it's because I've lived all my life in Alberta, but I would happily trade New Denver/Naskup to Kootenay Lake over the Icefields Parkway. Yes, Jasper is amazing but there is nothing like curves to get soul going.

For late September I would prefer to stay in the Kootenays anyways :mrgreen:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a ton for the info! Keep it flowing! Are there any cheap places to stay in those areas?

I remember talking to a guy at a bike shop in Kelowna last time I was up there and the places your talking about are ringing a bell. I know he'd talked about a Ferry and Nelson. I may have to somehow hit those roads.

Maybe I can push for a full 6 days and/or just put a few extra miles on each day...

The more pictures I come across from up that way the more excited I get!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may run into winter weather in late September, depends on what kind of year we are having.
Other than that the icefields parkway is very nice. Scenic not technical. Traffic will be lighter in September

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may run into winter weather in late September, depends on what kind of year we are having.
Other than that the icefields parkway is very nice. Scenic not technical. Traffic will be lighter in September
Weather could always come, but I'll make my plans with the hopes of blue skies. Last time I was up there it was in October and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. I did hit flurries going into Jackson, WY though....

Fingers crossed! :thumbup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Beautiful road and scenery up to Whistler, heavily used by motorcycles so lots of speed traps.(friend has his motorcycle taken away in Squamish) Once you get past Pemberton on the Duffy Lake Road there is very little traffic and great roads. Keep your eyes on the road coming down into Lillooet as the road is very twisty with huge drop offs and no guard rails. I always enjoy the transition from our moist climate on the coast to the very dry interior region.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Any recommendations for places to stay along the way? Nice camping areas? Nice cabins to rent anywhere?

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Valemount BC

You will love the Duffy Lake Rd; take some time to snoop around Lillooet and learn the history of the place.
Stay and eat in Valemount and you will save a fortune compared to Jasper. Although Jasper is awesome, just costly.

Stay here at this hostel, it's way better than cold rainy camping and cheap. Contact them them ahead to reserve. Just trust me it's the best place and you are passing right by their driveway. Lots of space to spread out in the great room and an amply equipped kitchen. The bunks in the cabins are comfy. I stalled here last summer for 2 nights and days for the rainy weather to clear and met many great people traveling through. This area is so beautiful I didn't want to ride in restricted visibility and miss seeing the mountain scenery. DO NOT rush this scenery.

Jasper National Park Hostels | Backpacker Hostel in Athabasca Falls | HI-Athabasca Falls | Hostelling international Canada

I've a bit of a blog of some of my travels, windtogo | Closing the gap between life as you dream it and life as you live it – Windtogo.WordPress.com | Page 7

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Ride to the Sun road

and don't miss riding through Glacier National Park. If you're a photographer be sure to see the sun come up and go down in this awesome place.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will love the Duffy Lake Rd; take some time to snoop around Lillooet and learn the history of the place.
Stay and eat in Valemount and you will save a fortune compared to Jasper. Although Jasper is awesome, just costly.

Stay here at this hostel, it's way better than cold rainy camping and cheap. Contact them them ahead to reserve. Just trust me it's the best place and you are passing right by their driveway. Lots of space to spread out in the great room and an amply equipped kitchen. The bunks in the cabins are comfy. I stalled here last summer for 2 nights and days for the rainy weather to clear and met many great people traveling through. This area is so beautiful I didn't want to ride in restricted visibility and miss seeing the mountain scenery. DO NOT rush this scenery.

Jasper National Park Hostels | Backpacker Hostel in Athabasca Falls | HI-Athabasca Falls | Hostelling international Canada

I've a bit of a blog of some of my travels, windtogo | Closing the gap between life as you dream it and life as you live it – Windtogo.WordPress.com | Page 7
Thanks! I think I'm going to book that hostel for sure! Looks like a great location.

I also went through your ride, very nice!

I'd like to go through Glacier via the Strom (I've done a few times in a car) but the road will be closed by the time I get there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts