StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a few friends in the San Jose, Santa Cruz area who enjoy the usual Strom activities.

I use my 650 as a commuter ever week, but I can't resist taking a ride through the SC mountains and the local roads on the weekends. I go camping every chance I get and would really like to have some fellow riders to enjoy this with.

I didn't see a post for this area and just wanted to see who was interested.

Also I would like to plan a ride down to the tip of Baja and back this January so PM me and we can talk.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We should do an Alice's run. I'm new to the Strom and looking forward to discovering the unpaved roads around here.

I know a few guys on BARF and grouprides.net who are planning a Baja run. Maybe you could check them out. Just don't ride at night in Baja and you will have a great time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know it is a little off track, but my group is riding from sacramento to pismo beach friday, leaving about noon friday, ride around pismo area sat and riding the 1 back sunday. if anybody wants to tag along it will be a bunch of harleys and 1 real bike(mine) riding. We dont ride fast just enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Another Sacto Area Stromer Checking In

I am in the Sacramento area myself. I ride occasionally with the Gold Country Dual Sport Riders as well as Sierra Nevada Adventures, but most commonly go 'lone wolf' style and do solo rides. I don't make it to the coast as often as I'd like but that could potentially change if I had some fellow Strom buddies to ride with!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the idea is that nobody has to ride alone if they don't want to. I'm in my last year of college and most of my friends who ride, only have sport bikes. They might be fast, but they never go anywhere! haha

I usually take a ride on Tuesday every week up in the Santa Cruz mountains. I know a few really fun roads up in the hills with some great views and pretty good dirt.

I'll check this tomorrow morning if anyone wants to get lunch.

Tydive, thanks for the BARF comment. I hadn't found that site yet. TrapperDog, i'll keep you up to date any time Plan on riding through. BigJoe, I hope you brought your earplugs....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hey Teckman,

I was up on 35 today, lots of leaves and branches on the roads after those winds last night.

I can't play tomorrow, but might be up for a ride next Tuesday afternoon.

I'm going on the Doc Wong Dual Sport clinic this Sunday down at Clear Creek. Should be lots of fun and I'm looking forward to getting my dirt skills back up to snuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
New to the Area

I just moved into San Ramon and don't have a ton of "Off Road" experience although I've been on many a fire road. Would love to get more experience and always like to meet Strommers. I usually ride on weekends if I can get away from the house and have mostly been doing some exploring around here. Looking forward to getting farther away from here and into some more dirt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I usually ride on weekends if I can get away from the house and have mostly been doing some exploring around here. Looking forward to getting farther away from here and into some more dirt.
If you want to pick up some tips, Doc Wong has the orientation class for dual sport training Friday night starting at 6:30. everyone is welcome to the talk, the Sunday ride requires a sign up and costs $20. Not sure if it's full or not. PM me and I can send you the details if you want to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you want to pick up some tips, Doc Wong has the orientation class for dual sport training Friday night starting at 6:30. everyone is welcome to the talk, the Sunday ride requires a sign up and costs $20. Not sure if it's full or not. PM me and I can send you the details if you want to go.
Thanks Tydive. I can't go this Friday (Oregon State plays USC) but I did find his website and signed up on his email distro list. I am excited for the next off-road clinic that they do.

I actually saw Dr. Wong at the IMS show on Saturday but had no idea he was that much of a riding enthusiast. Wish I had taken more time to talk to him. Thanks for the great lead and hope to see you on the road.

Brit

·
Registered
26 Posts
If anyone wants to ride this weekend on Saturday post here, maybe we can get a group ride.

I live in Half Moon Bay and there are tons of twisties, easy highway, dirt roads, and lets not forget Skyline Blvd. Alice's Restaurant always has good food and has gas 24/7.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey folks!
Im new on here and to stroms, but not to riding. I recently am healing from a moto related injury and need to retire my ktm 640 adventure, as its too tall. So Im in the market, but having a difficult time locating a reasonable priced Wee thats somewhat local, less than 500miles.

Also looking for buying tips.

Please pm me if you have any info or tips, thanks!
I also started this thread asking for advice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you're looking for a used Wee Strom, I can't help. I was looking for a reasonably priced one and gave up. I did get a good deal on a 2013 GStrom from Fremont HKS, ask for Ted he will hook you up if they have any in stock.

Heal up!

Also, Doc Wong is putting on another dirt clinic, for only $20! It's a blast, I will be going again. You can sign up on meetup or his web page.

Doc Wong Adventure Dual Sport Clinic - April 11/13! Friday evening at his office in Belmont, Sunday all day down a little past Hollister.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Low594: In case you're not in the habit of checking the For Sale section of this site, a DL650 just popped up in San Jose. I'll let you decide whether or not it's reasonably priced: http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/165113-black-2011-v-strom-650a.html

Tydive: Thanks for the tip on Doc Wong's. Did you do his dirt class on your Glee? With stock tires? Bash plate or no? I found it hard to tell from his site what was really necessary. There was something about "knobbies will work best", but also something about a full-dresser Harley completing the ride.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hobbyist,
The Doc Wong ride is very doable with the GStrom on stock tires. Although I just did the training in the big dirt field, and skipped the jeep trail ride. Mostly because I was getting tired. Plenty of other Wee-Stroms and similar in the group.

I highly recommend a skid plate and radiator cover for any off road riding. I went with the Hyde Racing Teflon/plastic bash plate as it is very light weight and they say it can take a beating. Don't worry about the fact that they don't list the 2012+ years, it fits snugly and well. You can do the practice stuff without the skid plate, but the trail ride involves hopping logs and stuff that will probably end your oil filter.

I went with the Enduro Guardian radiator cover and a Fenda Extenda because I found a bunch of dings in my radiator after my first few dirt roads.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Low594: In case you're not in the habit of checking the For Sale section of this site, a DL650 just popped up in San Jose. I'll let you decide whether or not it's reasonably priced: http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/165113-black-2011-v-strom-650a.html

Tydive: Thanks for the tip on Doc Wong's. Did you do his dirt class on your Glee? With stock tires? Bash plate or no? I found it hard to tell from his site what was really necessary. There was something about "knobbies will work best", but also something about a full-dresser Harley completing the ride.
That looks like what I want eventually. Its out of my pric range and its all prepped out. So I would miss the fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Doc's april class

Tydive: Thanks! I've emailed Doc to reserve a spot for April. Maybe I'll see you there.
I took the classroom portion in February but Doc cancelled the field portion so I will be attending the April Field day.

I'm seeing at least 5-6 V-strom riders between San Jose and Walnut Creek.

Anybody want to meet near Sunol and go for a ride?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts