StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a screw puncture in my rear Trail Wing tire, plugged it, and is holding air, but none of the dealers in town will put a patch on the inside, so I'm thinking of replacement. I do 98% street riding.

Can I put a Battle Wing on the rear (BW502)? It seems to have been discontinued. Or stick with another Trail Wing? If I put a road or touring tire on and keep the stock Trail Wing on the front, will the handling be affected? I am interested in longevity and safety over handling. I would think the Battle Wing is better since it was designed after the Trail Wing was.

·
Super Moderator
16,239 Posts
Battlewing is a better tire overall anyways than the Trailwing, by all means feel free to mix tires. Revzilla still sells the Battlewing, and it is still being made as far as I know.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got an E-mail from Bridgestone. They suggested I try the NEW Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A40 Motorcycle Tire Rear 150/70-17 Radial It's supposed to be better all-around than the Battlewing and more street/touring oriented.

·
Super Moderator
16,239 Posts
I just got an E-mail from Bridgestone. They suggested I try the NEW Bridgestone Battlax Adventure A40 Motorcycle Tire Rear 150/70-17 Radial It's supposed to be better all-around than the Battlewing and more street/touring oriented.
And a helluva lot more expensive too. :wink2:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Our V2 came stock with BW501/502 and they are a VERY good road tyre (tire!) I had just traded our SV1000 running Pirelli Angel GTs, and riding the V2 fast on a very bumpy twisty road I reckon I was as fast as I could ever have been on the SV. My friend on a hot TLS1000 reckons he was at the limit (due to the bumps) basically I,m saying I have been riding the V2 like a sportsbike and the BW501/502 did not limit me. only scraping hard parts did!
On dirt roads they are acceptable but they do squirm around. I have trailwings atm and they are much better in the dirt (maybe I,m getting more comfortable in the dirt?) and I did a fastish ride on the weekend and I had no complaints about the trailwings.
If your 90%+ on sealed roads the BW are the pick :) they are underated IMHO. AND they last for ages! We got 12,000 ks from the rear ,mostly 99% 2 up and many thousands of K,s with a shitload of luggage. I reckon the front would have done 18,000ks :)
FWIW if your tyre was plugged correctly I wouldnt be concerned about if loosing pressure unexpectedly, a rope plug for example isnt gonna just pop out. If/when you take that tyre off, have a look at the knot inside where the rope plug is ;) You,d be more likely to get another puncture than have the repair fail :)

·
aka Rick in Alabama
500 Posts
... snip ...

FWIW if your tyre was plugged correctly I wouldnt be concerned about if loosing pressure unexpectedly, a rope plug for example isnt gonna just pop out. If/when you take that tyre off, have a look at the knot inside where the rope plug is ;) You,d be more likely to get another puncture than have the repair fail :)
What he said about properly plugged tires. I'm running one on the back my my BMW and another on the pickup truck.

Neither has failed.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ran a plugged rear for a summer and half. Only reason for the switch was wear out. I went with BW front and rear on my 04 wee. In the last year I have liked them a lot.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When my rear TrailWing wore out I replaced it with the Battlewing. There was no problem with that combo until the front TW started to wear out. So I also put a BW on the front. Now, I don't find the V-Strom to be that confidence-inspiring on gravel anyway, due to its higher center of gravity compared to some other bikes, but, at least in my opinion the BattleWings handle better on gravel than the TrailWings. And there are a couple of roads near Marietta, Ohio that allowed the BattleWings' grip to scrape a peg a time or two, so I'm quite happy with them as a good general-purpose tire. Also, there are times when I've gassed it pretty hard turning from a stop, and the rear does not break loose dramatically but seems to be predictable- you may feel it slip ever so slightly but nothing scary. (Although that probably also has a lot to do with the V-Strom's nice smooth power delivery.)

That said, I'm planning to get a little "dirty" with the Strom, and have a set of Mitas E-07 Dakars waiting in the garage! But if not for that I'd stick with the BattleWings for as long as they are available.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm wondering if the hole that was made by the screw weakened the cordage and will eventually fail from stresses.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I just got a screw puncture in my rear Trail Wing tire, plugged it, and is holding air, but none of the dealers in town will put a patch on the inside, so I'm thinking of replacement. I do 98% street riding.

Can I put a Battle Wing on the rear (BW502)? It seems to have been discontinued. Or stick with another Trail Wing? If I put a road or touring tire on and keep the stock Trail Wing on the front, will the handling be affected? I am interested in longevity and safety over handling. I would think the Battle Wing is better since it was designed after the Trail Wing was.
I just ordered a BW502 for my Super Tenere about a month ago from Rocky Mountain ATV. Great tire prices and free shipping.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I just ordered a BW502 for my Super Tenere about a month ago from Rocky Mountain ATV. Great tire prices and free shipping.
Yep. Ordered this morning, will be here Thursday. Best price I could find and fast free shipping on top of it.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Rocky Mountain ATV has become my first online stop for all things motorcycle related. I just ordered a set of Shinko 705's from them, to try out on my trip to Maine next month.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll see your $153, and drop it to $147.84 shipped!

BRIDGESTONE BATTLAX A40 150/70R-17 M/C 69V, REAR
That's the best price I've come across, but I already ordered and installed the Battlax Adventure A40. I'm glad my dealer reminded me to take it easy on the curves for the first 75 miles. It's Bridgestone's latest compound and technology, and they estimate a 20% improvement in tread life. I can't tell much difference in ride or performance so far.

Thanks for the advice from the strommer community.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,192 Posts
It's Bridgestone's latest compound and technology, and they estimate a 20% improvement in tread life. I can't tell much difference in ride or performance so far.
If tire manufacturer claims of increased mileage had ANY truth in them, we would be getting 20,000 miles out of a rear tire! Every time they revise a tire, or replace it with another bold new tread pattern they claim a mileage increase. I really don't get why I only see 4500-8500 miles out of a rear tire on about any bike and any tire I run. It IS a conspiracy...........

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
If tire manufacturer claims of increased mileage had ANY truth in them, we would be getting 20,000 miles out of a rear tire! Every time they revise a tire, or replace it with another bold new tread pattern they claim a mileage increase. I really don't get why I only see 4500-8500 miles out of a rear tire on about any bike and any tire I run. It IS a conspiracy...........

I'm with you on that. I average 7-8k out of a rear tire. I think it's our riding styles. I ride aggressively and know that contributes to premature wear. It also has to do with the type of roads we ride where we live. I just bought a DR-Z and learned that the rear tires only last half of that typically depending on the type of tire used.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there,

I am thinking about replacing my rear TW tire with BW - there are 6 different types - B, D, E, F, G and J.
Do you know what the difference between these types is and which one is for my 2006 Suzuki DL650?

Thanks,

Viktor

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Specs per Type for Battlewings:

BW501 type / Speed Rating / Tread Width / Tread Depth / Approved Rim Size

G / 59V / 3.9 / 8 / 2.15

E / 59V / 4.3 / 6 / 2.50

J / 59H / 4.3 / 5 / 2.50

BW502 type / Speed Rating / Tread Width / Tread Depth / Approved Rim Size

G / 69V / 6.1 / 9 / 3.50-4.50

E / 69V / 6.1 / 10 / 3.50-4.50

J / 69H / 6.1 / 9 / 3.50-4.50

Hope this helps. Don't know about the other letters.

PS: tread depth is measured in 32nd's

1 - 20 of 20 Posts