Strom Trooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea how old the battery is in my '09, and I've had a bike battery go from frisky and energetic to deceased while buying gas -- one thing I'd like to avoid happening twice. Anyway, in my shopping, I stumbled on a Walmart link that I suspected was one of those NLA types...

Turns out it's still alive, and I found a Yuasa YTX12-bs AGM for $60 shipped. I had hunted for a good while, and $90 - $100 was typical from the usual sources, so I jumped on it. There's a few left, so here's the link:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/YUASA-YTX12-BS-MAINTENANCE-FREE-12-VOLT-BATTERY/101494115?athcpid=101494115&athpgid=athenaHomepage&athcgid=null&athznid=inspiredByRVIPageWPP&athieid=v1&athstid=CS023&athguid=466001f5-46cfa622-f2ed4b0b9a18a716&athena=true

I don't know if this is a really good price or not, but before they're sold out, I figured it's better to post first and ask questions later.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
The only wonder would be , how long have these been on the shelf?
My Walmart ever-start wasn't dead but questionable. It was at least 6 years old. For the money, I'd give them a go again.
I had gotten a new battery from the corner Auto Zone before I pulled the old battery. So I didn't know what I had.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I was planning on replacing the original battery on my '09 this year too only because it'll be 11 years old. I also found the Yuasa for $60 and bought it. I still have yet to install it because the original is still holding a healthy charge, 12.75v after a few days sitting. I believe the new Yuasa will be fine until I add the acid and charge it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only wonder would be , how long have these been on the shelf?

That's a good concern.

The actual source is Chaparral powersports, so it might not be too ancient, and it's stored dry - it's an 'add acid' type which isn't actually born until I add the juices and charge at 1.2A for about 7 hours. I guess there should be a date stamp on it somewhere; I'll post it if I find it when it arrives next week.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I get to Chaparral occasionally. They don't seem to deal in crap so you will probably be fine. If it is a lead acid and it's comes dry, the shelf life should be many long time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It already arrived! They gave me an initial delivery estimate of Aug. 7th. Not bad!

I found what seems to be a date code, heat-stamped: RH12CQ, which would mean August of 2012, if I guess correctly. I saw one Youtube vid on the topic of battery date codes, and this seems to follow the format. What I don't know: If that date is accurate, if my interpretation is correct, and if it even matters much for a dry battery. The cells are sealed really well with an adhesive film.

Anyhow, the adventures never end...

·
Registered
239 Posts
What I don't know: if it even matters much for a dry battery. The cells are sealed really well with an adhesive film.
If the acid was shipped in Yuasa's plastic gizmo that plugs into the top of the battery to fill it, and afterward you push the not removable plastic strip over the holes, then yes, your battery was 'dry charged' and the date code is irrelevant. You should charge it fully at no more than 10% of its amp hour capacity on a smart charger for agm batteries before use. I believe that 10% number is accurate. Read the instructions and you might google agm battery and read something about the care and feeding of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts