StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another newbie question...

I'm storing my wee in a sub-freezing, unheated barn this winter and have just ordered a Battery Tender Jr. Do I remove the battery and keep it plugged in in a nice warm, climate-controlled place or do I leave it sub-freezing and plugged in (with the hopes that I might occasionally get out if the conditions are OK)?

pmk

PS: I'm already going through wee-withdrawal at the thought of not riding for the next few months...... ARGHH!!!!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think your battery will be plenty happy staying in the bike. I have a "Tender Jr." for both of mine and just plug 'em in and forget them until spring. My garage isn't heated either and can get pretty cold here in Northern Indiana.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
My battery has spent three winters on the bike and is still going strong.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
You will get a happy little plug you can leave on the bike

Figure out a secure place for it
Mine kept hitting the floor and eventually died

G

·
This might sounds silly but you might make sure that you have the polarity correct when you attach the leads of the tender.
My neighbour who seemed to be about average intelligence, connected the tender backwards for 4 months.
The battery seemed fine in the Spring (12.5 volts) but kept blowing the fuses on his mid 80's Goldwing.
It wasn't until he checked the polarity that he found the problem.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This might sounds silly but you might make sure that you have the polarity correct when you attach the leads of the tender.
From the Battery Tender Website:

Perfect for all lead-acid, flooded or sealed maintenance free batteries (AGM and gel cell).
Complete 4-step charging program (Initialization, Bulk Charge, Absorption Mode, Float Mode).
Automatically switches to float / maintenance voltage after fully charging the battery.
If the battery voltage drops too far under load, full charger output power resumes.
Solid state two color LED indicates stage of charger.
Spark proof.
Reverse polarity protected.
12' output cord.
5 year warranty

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Yeah, but reverse polarity protected might mean that the unit won't go up in smoke, but also won't charge. Yes, get the polarity right. You want the exposed terminal on the SAE plug from the bike's battery to be the negative terminal. The trickle charger will have an exposed positive terminal, but that's for you to handle carefully.

The trickle charger (and the Battery Tender Jr. is a good one) will keep the battery charged and prevent it from freezing.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I take the battery out of the SV (which is stored remotely) and put it in the basement to keep an eye on it.

If you have easy access to the barn, no worries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
re: battery tender

PMK, I'm also a newbie...how did your Battery Tender install go? I'm only getting a flashing red light...can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
PMK, I'm also a newbie...how did your Battery Tender install go? I'm only getting a flashing red light...can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
Flashing red light means your not properly connected to the bike. Make sure you have the polarity of your wires right and connect directly to the battery. If you have trouble with this let me know I am in your area and would be happy to give you a hand.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've always pulled the battery, but usually stored it in the cold. (Shelf in the garage.)
I've been encouraged to bring it someplace warmer this year. I'm told it should make the battery last even longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Flashing red light means your not properly connected to the bike. Make sure you have the polarity of your wires right and connect directly to the battery. If you have trouble with this let me know I am in your area and would be happy to give you a hand.
Thanks Jim...user error...working fine now.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Good to hear you have it up and running. My Battery Tenders have more then payed for themselves though the years.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CB500X, 2020 Kawasaki Verseys X300
298 Posts
I pull my batteries and store them inside on Battery Tender Jr.s. (4 batteries, two tenders which I switch every week. I read somewhere that it is better to store batteries out of the freezing temperatures- I don't know if this applies to batteries on chargers.

Reverse polarity protection:
I have three motorcylce batteries, and one of them has posts which are on opposite sides from the other two batteries. I didn't notice this the first year in my dimly lit basement, and hooked the tender up backwards. It blew the fuse in the tender cord, which may be what they mean by protection. Actually, it took another fuse to blow till I figured it out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts