StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 with an Eastern Beaver PC-8 Fuse Panel.
Do I install the Battery Tender pigtail directly to the battery or an un-switched terminal on the PC-8?
Searched but couldn't find an answer.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I ran mine to the unswitched part of the fuse panel (Eastern Beaver) that way I can also use it to power my air pump.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have mine going direct to the battery because I didn't want another stop at the EB along the way and with the extra wiring run that goes with it. Another point of failure for something that could be plugged in for days at a time (although I haven't used mine yet). I'm probably over thinking it though. There's probably no reason why running through the EB would pose a problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
2013 Wee. I installed a 12 volt outlet with waterproofing cap and inline fuse from Amazon. And from Radio Shack (RIP) got a cig lighter adapter for the Battery Tender.
So I just pop it in the outlet in the garage.
Use the outlet for the air compressor as well.
No fiddling around.
Extended the outlet wires to the other side and installed a dual USB and Voltmeter port from Amazon. Monitor the battery level and have power for my phone and stuff.
Cheap mods and soooo convenient.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
For your system to work as a charger you need power 24/7 and the way I read your post that means your volt meter will be working 24/7 too ???

I never use a tender but I do have power socket in my top box for charging phones and headsets, I can put them in the box to charge and walk away.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The instructions for the actual Deltran Battery Tender brand say to connect directly to the battery in step 11. The rest of the safety stuff is about as severe as entering Chernobyl. ☢ There is no copyright info on their .pdf instructions so I believe it is appropriate to post a link here:
http://products.batterytender.com/021-0123-man.pdf

Reactions: HiJincs

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hello all!
I position the (+) terminal of the Tender harness under the battery(+) terminal of the starter solenoid, and the (-) terminal of the Tender harness to the closest frame ground, such as a seat latch retaining bolt.

I find there is much less corrosion at the battery cables, and if I have to replace the battery I dont have to futz with the Tender harness. Also, wiring it that way allows more of the harness to be available for a convenient location on the right side of the lower frame area in the right heel guard area.

·
Registered
238 Posts
There is a good reason to go directly to the battery. The battery tender harness has an inline fuse. You do not want several fuses in series; each one adds more contacts which add resistance and complicate troubleshooting. Running the battery charger (that is what a 'tender' is) through the EB fusebox has no real advantages.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts