StromTrooper banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ambient HEAT does affect battery life.
I just said exactly that. It doesn't "drain" a battery, it causes the fluids to evaporate, which in turn causes the batteries life to be shorter than normal.

Again, a tender will not cure or fix that particular issue. A battery tenders keeps a battery fully charged, it prevents it from losing any charge, it does not "cool" the battery nor does it help with this type of battery damage that is caused from excessive heat.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I know...I quoted the CR Battery article rather than simply stating anecdotal evidence.
And BT's do help OVERALL with battery life.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The reason Bt's help with overall life is because they don't allow the battery to drain. They don't help when the battery is losing fluid due to heat. Nothing anecdotal or scientific about it.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
I would personally recommend a CTEK MUS4.3, but a BT will do :D

Install a charging pigtail and hang it out the side. That way you have an easy plug in when the bike is stored for short or long periods. I piggyback off the Warm N' Safe heated gear dongle and just plug my chargers into it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Rippinryno..
This isnt about you....I was referring to MY anecdotes and, if you read it, the CR article reinforced the info in BOTH OUR POSTS.👍

·
Registered
850 Posts
We must do things differently down here.

I purchased a new car for the bride a few days ago and I have not tested it but with every other car I have ever owned the power socket shut off with the ignition.

I currently have 12 other cars from 8 different manufacturers and they all loose power when the ignition is shut off.

I find it interesting and like learning new stuff from other parts of the world, could it be part of our ADR's ?
US Ford product's 12V sockets are switched: off with the ignition. My last three new ones are set up this way, but my 2009 Mercury Mariner (Maverick in OZ) is unswtched: powered all the time. I don't know when it was changed.
The OP was inquiring about the battery in his 2018 V-strom, whose 12V socket is switched.

But it is a moot point anyway; in post #7 he went ahead and bought a BT+.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would personally recommend a CTEK MUS4.3, but a BT will do :D

Install a charging pigtail and hang it out the side. That way you have an easy plug in when the bike is stored for short or long periods. I piggyback off the Warm N' Safe heated gear dongle and just plug my chargers into it.
I did the same with my Oxford Heaterz grips. Changed the plug over to an SAE and use the BT Jr lead on the battery: only need one lead coming from the battery that way.

Reactions: Webfors

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was wondering, since my '19 650 Strom has what amounts to a computer, if I remove the battery to keep it charged on a Battery Tender Jr., will the "settings" (i.e. clock time, etc.) be lost and need resetting at all? Also, since I mostly use my tender for a boat battery, can I just hook it to my bike as the bike sits, without removing the positive/neg. leads? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
You don't need to remove the bike battery, simply put an SAE pigtail on the battery. You should have got one in the BT package. If not then get one

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...ocphy=9027978&hvtargid=pla-434957889548&psc=1

......you can install it on the battery, leaving the plug outside, attached to the frame. You can then plug and unplug as needed without removing the seat(y).
10-4. Disconnecting the battery will stop the clock. To avoid resetting it, reconnect the battery at exactly 1am or pm.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts