StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recovering from surgery and will be off the bike for about 3 months. Is a battery tender necessary? Or is starting it up once a week-ish for a few minutes good enough? Bike is a 2018.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Recovering from surgery and will be off the bike for about 3 months. Is a battery tender necessary? Or is starting it up once a week-ish for a few minutes good enough? Bike is a 2018.
Should be fine to just let it sit, but if you want to do something either disconnect the battery or use a battery tender. Starting it up cold for a few minutes isn't good for the engine and won't do much for your battery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have been riding for 25 years and owned just 4 motorcycles (one from each of the big 4 Japanese), and as well currently own an 11 year old roadster that only sees sporadic summer use. None of the vehicles were purchased new or were newer than 5-10 years old, so I can’t really say what the battery provenance was for each vehicle, although I do know the battery in my roadster is original, so 11 years old.

What I can say is that I put each of these vehicles on a tender whenever they are parked in my garage. I have only ever ONCE replaced a battery, and that battery was in my first used bike, after which time I bought my first tender.

In my experience batteries can last almost indefinitely if kept from sulphating. So unless your bike is a year-round daily driver, spend the $40 on a Battery Tender Jr. and it’ll pay for itself in year or two.

·
Registered
787 Posts
batteries worst enemies are heat and being stored in a discharged state. In the heat of Phx it is cause to celebrate if you get more than 3 years out of a lead acid battery.
I have been able to get more than that by keeping everything that is not used on a DAILY basis on a batt tender. even the car that we use on an almost daily state has a solar batt charger that plugs into the cig lighter. it sits in a carport and gets enough sunlight there to do the job.
I am not a chemist but lead batts do live longer when kept right up at the top of the charged state.
for this area batt tenders are well worth the cost.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Use a Battery Tender👍
I keep all my vehicles on BT's, including my Travel Trailer batteries in the " off season".

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
even the car that we use on an almost daily state has a solar batt charger that plugs into the cig lighter. it sits in a carport and gets enough sunlight there to do the job.
Are you sure your solar system is working ?

If your cars are like Aussie cars and it is plugged into your cig lighter socket, when you turn your ignition to the off position the panel can't be powering the battery.

I'm not a fan of AC powered tenders, without continuously checking the performance of the tender it can kill a battery quicker than not using the battery.

Having said that I love small solar systems like RLB is using, they only supply milliamps and batteries love it.

All my farm vehicles have solar systems fitted, they all have used batteries fitted, they were thrown away for being stuffed, over time the milliamps supplied by the solar systems soften the plates up and get the batteries back to a useable condition, not like new but useable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went ahead and ordered a battery tender +. I probably would have been OK without it, but peace of mind was worth the cost. Thanks all.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would not swear that all U S car cig lighter sockets are hot with the switch off but on our car in question it is hot at all times. not hard to check with a volt meter. this can be good or bad. yeah, if you leave a load plugged in you can drain the batt. I was a little surprised to find the cig outlet hot at all times.
now that I think about it they sell a lot of those solar chargers for cars here. I wonder if they work for all cars here.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I would not swear that all U S car cig lighter sockets are hot with the switch off but on our car in question it is hot at all times. not hard to check with a volt meter. this can be good or bad. yeah, if you leave a load plugged in you can drain the batt. I was a little surprised to find the cig outlet hot at all times.
now that I think about it they sell a lot of those solar chargers for cars here. I wonder if they work for all cars here.
I have seen many plugged into dead sockets and the owner thinks they are working because the light is flashing.

The original ones I got about 10 or 12 years ago could only be plugged into a cig socket so I made up leads to hook them directly to the battery or to the cars fuse box, the ones they sell now down here come with battery clamps, leads and much heavier wires.

One problem is the plastic ones can melt in the Aussie sun.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't use tenders. My batteries seem to last as long as they say they will. A tender would be good probably if your bike is going to sit for 6 months or more, but otherwise you should not be losing much charge. They are designed for long periods of inactivity. Unless your bike is drawing power, which you will notice if it's going dead between rides during the season, the battery tender cannot be responsible for a longer lasting battery, that's not how they work. This is contrary to what the manufacturer will tell you about their tender. AGain, if your storage period is long, you would want one, but for me. maybe 5 months at most, and likely I 've had a ride in there somewhere....not worth the time.

I also wouldn't start it up once a week unless you're planning to ride it. So many people do this and it drives me nuts. One thing I never settle well with is the frequent starting of an engine and not actually riding or running it more than idle.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has a "Hot" cig lighter socket in the centre console and it is to that that I hooked up our dash cam. We then have the option to leave it on if we are parked up anywhere or just shut the cam off at its power switch when we shut down the Jeep.

BTW - I've kept all our vehicles on BT's for years now, with never a problem even in the Illinois cold and now the Texas heat for the past 15 years.
Most of our batteries tend to last for about 6 years and a couple even longer(y).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Running the bike just to maintain battery charge may lead to problems in other areas.
I would put it on a charger, preferably a float charger, such as a Battery Tender Junior mentioned by other posters here. A float charger charges the battery up to a set value, then shuts itself off and monitors the rate of discharge.
When the voltage drops below a certain threshold, it starts charging again. This keeps the battery at an optimum state of charge without putting constant charge into the battery, which can shorten its life.
Your 2018 has a number of parasitic current draws, from the clock to various sensors and processors. When you turn the ignition off, these components are still running in the background, keeping memories "hot." Over time, the battery may become severely discharged if it is not replenished.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Are you sure your solar system is working ?

If your cars are like Aussie cars and it is plugged into your cig lighter socket, when you turn your ignition to the off position the panel can't be powering the battery.

I'm not a fan of AC powered tenders, without continuously checking the performance of the tender it can kill a battery quicker than not using the battery.

Having said that I love small solar systems like RLB is using, they only supply milliamps and batteries love it.

All my farm vehicles have solar systems fitted, they all have used batteries fitted, they were thrown away for being stuffed, over time the milliamps supplied by the solar systems soften the plates up and get the batteries back to a useable condition, not like new but useable.
Most of the cars I have owned power the cigarette lighter when the car is off.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Testimonial to Battery Tender JR:
My Diesel offshore boat has two Optima batteries. At $275.00 each. The boat sits in a 100 degree plus Baja garage for 6 months each year.
First year the batteries did not survive that.
Bought two Battery Tender Jrs. and the replacements are still strong 6 years later.
Just sayin'....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wish you a speedy recovery! If it's only going to be 3 months, I think you could get by without it. You could remove the battery and bring it inside for some extra temp control.

If you can swing the cost of a battery tender and have somewhere to hook it up, it's a better solution, but I wouldn't say it's required.

·
Registered
15,417 Posts
I also, too installed battery leads so I can plug my BT easily. I also put volt meters on the bikes so it's easy to check the state of charge. The $3 digital meters were only a bit of bother to mount since I had to come up with the bracket to hold them. Each is different.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Most of the cars I have owned power the cigarette lighter when the car is off.
We must do things differently down here.

I purchased a new car for the bride a few days ago and I have not tested it but with every other car I have ever owned the power socket shut off with the ignition.

I currently have 12 other cars from 8 different manufacturers and they all loose power when the ignition is shut off.

I find it interesting and like learning new stuff from other parts of the world, could it be part of our ADR's ?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Testimonial to Battery Tender JR:
My Diesel offshore boat has two Optima batteries. At $275.00 each. The boat sits in a 100 degree plus Baja garage for 6 months each year.
First year the batteries did not survive that.
Bought two Battery Tender Jrs. and the replacements are still strong 6 years later.
Just sayin'....
I know you're just saying, but I figure it might be worth informing you that, if you think your batteries died the first year due to not having a tender, yet you stored the batteries in the same 100 degree heat in a baja garage, the tender isn't what saved your batteries the next year. Heat doesn't drain a battery, it damages it by allowing the battery fluid to evaporate. A tender is not what saved your batteries the 2nd time around from heat. I also doubt that 100 degree heat was causing any issues to your previous batteries.
We must do things differently down here.

I purchased a new car for the bride a few days ago and I have not tested it but with every other car I have ever owned the power socket shut off with the ignition.

I currently have 12 other cars from 8 different manufacturers and they all loose power when the ignition is shut off.

I find it interesting and like learning new stuff from other parts of the world, could it be part of our ADR's ?
This is nothing more than vehicle manufacturer related. Chevy's stay on. Volkswagons do not.

That's just one comparison since I have one of each of those cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts