StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original battery is approaching the six year mark and still is performing well but for peace of mind I am planning to replace it. Lots of threads on this already but for the sake of efficiency in ten words or less what batteries are recommended? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Lead-acid, and cheap, is my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
YUASA......I have already gone through "2" cheap batteries on my 2015 XT, the last YUASA I had in a bike lasted 6 years. My current YUASA cranks the engine over like a raped ape, my bike has never started like it does now. Oh and I am betting your original battery is a YUASA, if so that is yet another reason to get another.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Batteries are one of those things you can drive yourself nuts researching. Just head over to NAPA and get youself one of their Legend AGM batteries. ETX12 is the part number, $80 out the door. Bring your old battery in to swap and no core charge.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
By "cheap" I did mean the Yuasa variety. Lead acid being cheaper than the fancy gel cell stuff, right?

Reactions: Big B

·
Registered
274 Posts
You are correct. You aren't on a 450 MX bike where you want to save every pound you can. A good Yuasa or other name brand battery is the way to go. I'd try to buy from a place that has reasonable turnover so you don't get one that has been sitting around for a long time. But it may be that if the battery has never been setup it won't make a difference if it has been sitting on the shelf for two months or two years.

NC

By "cheap" I did mean the Yuasa variety. Lead acid being cheaper than the fancy gel cell stuff, right?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Batteries are one of those things you can drive yourself nuts researching. Just head over to NAPA and get youself one of their Legend AGM batteries. ETX12 is the part number, $80 out the door. Bring your old battery in to swap and no core charge.
AGM is the way to go. O'Reilly auto parts has the same thing, comparable price, if you don't have a Napa close by.

Reactions: D.T.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Another vote for the YTX12-BS Yuasa (best). Don't let the shop fill it, diy per the instructions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yuasa AGM is the only battery I install in the motorcycles I service. One of Yuasa's features is that they have a yearly catalog showing battery applications and specifications. With my battery testers I can check capacity against spec, usually during an oil change, and avoid an unpleasant surprise out on the road.

·
Registered
43 Posts
AGM if you just want lead. EarthX if you want a fancy lightweight one. It's hard to kill them as they have a built in controller.

·
Registered
257 Posts
As mentioned above ... if it lasted 6 years go with the same battery. Not going into details but I learned my lesson few years ago buying some cheap stuff ...

·
Registered
302 Posts
I like a sealed battery, Incase your Strom gets tired and decides to lay dawn and rest for a few minutes the battery won’t leak nasty stuff all over itself.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
O.P.,
I am in the same situation with the battery in my 2014 1000. The O.E.M. battery has performed perfectly, but moving forward, don't want to be stranded. I will be replacing the battery at the dealer in the next few weeks with the same battery. Why ruin a good thing?!

·
Registered
293 Posts
My stocker went 10 years and was replaced because I was nervous over how old it was. Replaced with like king Yuasa from Amazon. AGM. Came with an acid pack. Easy. I keep the bike on a Deltran Battery Tender Junior when ever it's parked.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So how does Amazon handle cores on batteries? Just no charge?

For $58.88 & FREE Shipping the Yuasa YUAM3RH2S YTX12-BS Battery on Amazon seems like a good deal. More so if i can keep my existing battery (which hasn't yet failed).

I also don't know why Amazon doesn't think that is the right battery for my 2014 DL650A, cause i'm pretty sure it is.

·
Registered
365 Posts
My stocker went 10 years and was replaced because I was nervous over how old it was. Replaced with like king Yuasa from Amazon. AGM. Came with an acid pack. Easy. I keep the bike on a Deltran Battery Tender Junior when ever it's parked.
Just throwing this out there in case anybody cares, and as an FYI. The BT jr does not meet the minimum charging rate requirement for our battery, 750mA vs 1.2A.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Another vote for the YTX12-BS Yuasa (best). Don't let the shop fill it, diy per the instructions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
+1 they need to sit and vent after being filled prior to being capped. Buy one that has not been pre filled.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts