StromTrooper banner

Battery Low Voltage in the dashboard

1137 18
I’m a first time V-Strom user so please be patient if this is a dumb question. My dashboard says that my battery is below 11.7v . It starts fine, no sign of weak battery. When I measure the battery under the seat using a voltmeter, it reads above 12v. Do I need to change my battery now? It’s a 2018 1000XT.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Is 11.7 with the ignition on ?

That means you also have the headlights on this will account for the lower voltage.

The best test is to use a volt meter on the battery first thing in the morning before the bike is started.

12.8v is a good battery anything below that and the battery is starting to fail.

Ps, the dash on my 2014 reads 0.4v lower than it should due to voltage loss over the system

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I would use the voltage meter at the battery to get a base line then study the readings at the dash and compare the two.

Then in the future keep a eye on your readings, you will know if you have a problem or you can see when the battery is getting to its use by date.

I replaced my power socket with a volt meter, I know what to expect every time I turn the ignition on

Reactions: Cccj

·
Vendor
7,455 Posts
The voltage indicator reflects electrical system voltage, not battery voltage. As rpm rises the system voltage rises. Sitting at a stop light with heated grips the battery will be discharging. Giving power to the headlights fuel pump etc. By 3,000 rpm the system is making more power than it needs. At higher rpm the voltage regulator keeps max power down to about 14.1 volts.

So as long as that voltage reading was with the bike running at or near idle, it's normal.

·
Premium Member
2016 DL650 bought used w/3600mi now 15000mi. 2004 Honda VTX1300 bought used w/1079mi now 103,000 mi.
392 Posts

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
1,384 Posts
Welcome! While there are dumb questions, your's is not one of them. And hey, we even answer dumb questions.

That's the first thing I installed on my 2011 650 was an aftermarket voltmeter with a switch. It goes right to the battery terminals. The switch allows me to check the voltage without turning the bike on. At rest, no load it reads 12.6-12.7 unless it has sat for a long time without running. 2011 model doesn't come with a factory voltmeter. My cheapo chinese tire pressure monitor included a voltmeter, and those two meters are often very very different while idling because (as noted above) the wiring system voltage at the front of the bike is a different thing than battery voltage.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
You got good answers. My V readings are also lower than at the battery. Key is to know what your "normal " readings are at startup and when the engine is revving in normal use (say 3-5k). As long as these readings do not change significantly in the future all is well. If your startup reading drops, the battery my be coming to its end. If the running reading drops, you may have a charging issue or added too much load to the system. Charging system issues are uncommon for the newer DL1000 models, so rather unlikely (contrary to the 1st gen DL1000, which had lots of issues). Also overloading is less likely since the output is higher than the earlier generation and in general there are just no reports about this kind of problem for the 2014+ DL1000.

·
Registered
997 Posts
It is quite normal for the dash voltage to read lower than the battery voltage by a couple of tenths. I always check voltage at the battery for a true reading. Even on cars if you check the battery voltage inside the computers it is normally a few tenths lower than the battery. Nothing wrong, just that you do get a small amount of voltage drop through the system.
Oh, and check voltage at the battery 1) cold as in before starting the engine and 2) with the engine running a a few thousand RPM steady speed. Those two numbers will tell you a lot more than the dash reading.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here’s what I’ve experienced yesterday. The bike won’t cold start the normal way (1 button press, instant start) but when I pulled the clutch then pressed & hold the starter button, it started after 1-2 secs. After running the engine to warm it up, it started normally. Is this normal?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Clutch safety switch is pretty normal thing. They do vary in how they operate by year. Some bikes will always require the clutch to be in, others will start if in "Neutral" without the clutch pulled.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
It is not unusual to require the throttle be opened, especially with a low battery, give it a try next time.

With your year bike i don't think the clutch switch plays a part unless the bike is in gear, you can confirm this, if the bike will start normally when in neutral without pulling in the clutch leaver the switch plays no part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is not unusual to require the throttle be opened, especially with a low battery, give it a try next time.

With your year bike i don't think the clutch switch plays a part unless the bike is in gear, you can confirm this, if the bike will start normally when in neutral without pulling in the clutch leaver the switch plays no part.
That’s the weird thing about my observation. It’s in Neutral and i needed to pull in the clutch lever for it to start. Perhaps it has something to do with that quick start feature wherein you just need to press the start button once instead of push-and-hold like what we normally do in other bikes. I’m only able to push-and-hold with the clutch in. Anyway, bought a new battery and will observe if this persists. If it goes away, then i guess lower voltage batteries affect that quick start thing.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
All stroms did require the clutch be pulled in to start,

they did change that on the later bikes but I don't know what year that started, it sounds like it is the model after yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All stroms did require the clutch be pulled in to start,

they did change that on the later bikes but I don't know what year that started, it sounds like it is the model after yours.
Mine’s 2018 so it has “easy start” but apparently that feature won’t always work if battery’s not 100% anymore so I had to pull in the clutch to start. Anyway, i replaced my battery yesterday and it works now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts