StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to get a new battery (for the bike) after five years. Is this about a normal lifespan?

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
My OEM is in it's fifth year, and a load test at the beginning of the summer suggests I will be replacing it come what passes for winter in N. FL. will be going with a MotoBatt from Murph, I think.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Considering the crude charging system on Stroms then yes its fine

ALSO

If you put the bike up for the winter it really needs a trickle charge at least 2 times to be healthy. If the battery is allowed to go cold then it is damaged and life is reduced.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Considering the crude charging system on Stroms then yes its fine

ALSO

If you put the bike up for the winter it really needs a trickle charge at least 2 times to be healthy. If the battery is allowed to go cold then it is damaged and life is reduced.
According to my prvious bike's manual (Kawsaki Versys)... the colder the temp the less the battery discharges... Not below freezing however... around +8C to +10C seems to hold it's charge the longest... As the temp increases, you will need to charge it more often... I can confirm this... My garage hovers around +10C all winter long... My '09 V-strom started up perfectly after 2 winters (battery voltage after 3 months was 12.6V) each being after 3 month's of storage with the battery left in the bike and no charger attached...

I would conclude that temp extremes are bad for batteries...

Richard

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Actually, I think as long as it's fully charged, the colder it is the slower the battery will self-discharge. The danger is of it freezing at very cold temps if not fully charged.

I replaced the OEM battery on my '02 DL this summer - almost 9 years old, but it was getting weak. Only maintenance it ever got was a trickle charge once or twice through the winter when I couldn't ride it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
coonass

My 02 has the original battery this spring I had to charge it after an unusually cold winter. I will probably replace it this year. Just because.

·
Administrator
17,206 Posts
My 02 has the original battery this spring I had to charge it after an unusually cold winter. I will probably replace it this year. Just because.
That would be very wise IMHO.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Normal? I would say that's outstanding battery life...:thumbup:
+1 on that. I have never gotten more than 3 years out of a battery on any bike. And I do keep them on a trickle charger when not in use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Needed or not, I change the batteries in my bikes at 3 years... Nothing like have one take a crap and it only happens in the worst places - of course!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a friend that works as a battery vendor. He states that if consistently trickle charged, a good AGM battery like the Yuasa on our bikes should be good for about 5 years. Beyond that it is just borrowed time and recommends changing it out so you are not stranded. For the older liquid batteries, about 3 years tops there, which is consistent with my previous batteries' lifespans.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I've never had a battery on a motorcycle or car not last five years.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Bad luck with Batteries+

After four years, I replaced my original battery with a new one from Batteries+. I did this because I was going to ride across Florida with other Stromtroopers, and did not want to inconvenience them by breaking down, nor to miss their valued company.

I happened to take along a spare battery that a friend gave me. This fits in the V-Strom battery box, but is about half an inch shorter than the stock unit. I carried this in case one of my companions might need it.

I completed the group ride and set out alone for home. I made it half way, then my brand new battery from Batteries+ turned into a brick, unable to power even the clock. I was glad I could rescue myself in a matter of minutes.

I took my new bum battery back to Batteries+ and reported. They apologized and gave me a new battery at once. I took it home, charged it, verified its charge, and installed it, and it worked fine. Did I keep on carrying the spare? You bet your amps I did!

Eight months later I was riding around Lake Ontario, in company with the friend who gave me that spare battery, and sure enough the replacement battery from Batteries+ also failed completely. Again I installed the spare and made it home with no trouble.

I did not find my receipt from Batteries+, so I just handed the dead battery to my local recycling depot. I got a new battery from another source, and I carry the spare wherever I go. It is connected electrically to the taillight line via a resistor and a diode, so the spare battery is maintained at full voltage.

I feel a haiku coming on ...

If you ride with me,
And your battery succumbs,
We will still get home.​

Keith

·
Registered
57 Posts
I suppose I should feel lucky. I still have the original battery in my Strom and it's a 2003.

I ride year round, so it doesn't have time to go bad. Though admittedly I go through a 3 or 4 week spell in January/February each year where I may park it due to ice and snow. But when I do, I don't put a charger on it. And it of course is totally dead to a point where I have to jump start it when I decide to ride it again.

In fact that happened to me today. It has been sitting idle in the garage since right before Xmas. I had to change out chain and sprockets, so I just got around to it this week. I jumped it today and then rode it for an hour to get the battery back up to speed.

Each year I think it's probably met it's end. But each year it continues to hold a charge. Just like today, it now starts like's it's new. Very strange.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Consider yourself lucky

I think of batteries having about a 5 year life. A Walmart battery is like $70 now. SO 1 more year is worth $15. Every once and a while I am far down a small road and don't want to hear click click for $15

·
Registered
61 Posts
backup battery

Now i am wondering if there is a small lightweight battery you could carry for backup. don't they make something like that for cars?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Needed or not, I change the batteries in my bikes at 3 years... Nothing like have one take a crap and it only happens in the worst places - of course!
during midwest winters i keep mine on a tender. original was 6 years old and still showed good. if you have several toys, replacing every three years is an expensive waste of money to me. but, to each their own !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts