Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've been having battery/charging issues ever since I got my DL1000 last year. I took it to the shop when I first got it and asked them to check the battery/charger as just a precaution and they said both were fine. A few days later I went the gym on the bike, came out of the gym and the battery just didn't have enough juice to start the engine. I got a jump start and left the bike on idle for a minute and then I noticed the lights start to dim and the bike started to choke as if it was going to stall, I quickly grabbed the throttle and revved it up and the lights brightened. I took my hand off the throttle to put my helmet on and the bike just stopped. Afterwards I gave the battery a full charge and kept on using it, making sure to take the battery out every time I used it and give it a small charge to keep it topped up, but the amount of life I would get out of the battery dwindled to a point where it was useless. I also did the battery/charging system test as directed in the manual and both the battery and the charging system passed.

Eventually I got a new battery and everything has been fine but I've not actually been riding my bike much and every week I'd give the battery a full charge to keep it healthy. I decided to take my bike out the other day and practice some slow maneuvers for an hour and disappointment in my performance lead me to try again the following day, also for an hour. The whole time the bike was running and occasionally revs were up to 3-4k. On the way home I stopped at a gas station and when I came to start my bike it barely had enough juice to start.

Essentially, I have come to the conclusion that the battery isn't the issue and the charging system does work but only provides enough juice to charge the battery when over 4k revs. Anything under 4k revs and the battery slowly discharges. I however believe the issue may be that the bike is drawing too much power from the battery, rather than a charging fault. Is this possible? On my SV650S I would turn the ignition on and an electrical whirring sound would happen during system checks and then stop, this noise occurs with the VSTROM too but carries on continuously even while the bike is running.

Sorry for the essay but I'm just trying to be as clear as possible on my issue. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Rich

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
There have been stator issues with some bikes, magnets coming loose, or coils burned/shorted. It's likely your problem as well, a charging issue rather than a battery issue.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,069 Posts
Your symptoms sound like you need to inspect the magnets in the rotor. I will bet they have slipped. This can cause erratic charging and MAY be a cause for stators to fail.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Got any voltage readings...? :furious: :confused: :fineprint: :headbang: :thumbup:

Observations aren't enough to figure out what's happening. You need numbers.

A cheapie multimeter from Harbor Freight will give you some voltage numbers to work with, and the average couch contains enough change to buy one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts