StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I left my parking lights on and killed my battery. I borrowed a battery charger from a friend to get my Wee back on the road.

The charger has 3 settings:
6v/6amp, 12v/2amp, and 12v/6amp.

Which one should I use and for how long? I couldn't find an answer in my brief search. Thanks.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
That's a car charger. You should be using 12V/1amp. You could jump start it from a car battery, the car not running is safest, than ride it for a few hours.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops. Wrong forum. Mods, please move this to the maintenance section.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If

If it's dead, the 2 amp setting won't bother anything. But I'd check on the battery every so often to see if it is getting hot. If it is, give it a rest. Most chargers (well, of the cheap ones I have...) the amp setting is the max current. As the battery charges the amps fall off. If the charger has a meter, start it on the 6 amp setting, and see what the current actually is. Generally, so long as the battery does not overheat, more current won't bother it. The trouble comes when it is fuly charged, and you continue to run current through it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Uuh. If I already used it on the 6v/6amp, is it probably toast?

I tried to start it after trying to charge it, but the alternator just clicked rapidly. The lights will come on and the fuel pump comes on, but slower and longer than normal.

I am looking at the meter on the charger and it registers 5amp when switched to 12v/6amp, 2.5amp on 12v/2amp, and nothing on 6v/6amp.

·
Registered
188 Posts
A pertinent side question....

Could you push-start the V-Strom with a dead battery?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I think you need some battery power to operate the fuel relay and pump. As far as charging goes, 12v and 2a and leave it for as long as it takes. A slower charge will be better for you.

SS

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think so. My old Ninja 250 had a dead battery and I push started it a few times. I would try to do that now if I wasn't trying to recover from a flu.

I set the charger to 12v/2amp for now and will monitor it every 30mins to see if it is getting hot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Btw, thanks to all of you for the tips. I wish more enthusiast forums were half as helpful.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
No way

No way a Vee can be push-started unless there's enough voltage to get the fuel pump up to pressure, and run the engine control computer. Maybe then. I assume the timing sensor would need to register engine rotation before the computer would energize the injectors, so you may need to push for a while, or have a nice long hill. Almost certainly, in that situation, you'd want to disconnect the headlight plugs while trying it.
If the charger reads 5 amps, and you were in a hurry, I'd leave it there, although you'd need to watch the battery closely to make sure you didn't overheat it. As long as the battery passes current, it'll probably be OK. In my experience, when the battery won't pass current when you hook up the charger, you know it is time for a new battery.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Follow Grey Wolf's Suggestion...

A pertinent side question....

Could you push-start the V-Strom with a dead battery?
I would think so. My old Ninja 250 had a dead battery and I push started it a few times. I would try to do that now if I wasn't trying to recover from a flu.

I set the charger to 12v/2amp for now and will monitor it every 30mins to see if it is getting hot.
No you cant push start the Wee Strom with a weak battery.
The F.I. and pump require POWER. The carb'd Lil Ninja doesnt need that much juice.
"Follow Gray Wolf's suggestion".
Take the battery off the charger. Its too big a charger.
If you can feel a temp differance, its usually too late.
Do a slow trickel charge using the car battery (not running) to get the bike started then, ride it on the hiway above 4,000 rpm to charge the battery. Stop and Go riding WILL NOT CHARGE the battery.
Anything under 4K and your charging system barely keeps up with the needs of your machine. Lights, Fuel pump, injectors, and computer.
buy yourself a 'Deltran Battery Tender'. Get the 'Battery Tender Junior' (.75 amp) model.
JC Whitney has sales on them. So does 'Competition Accessories. $19.95 plus freight (ouch). When not riding keep the battery fully charged by using the tender. The tender comes with a charge harness, so you dont have to take the seat off. Longer battery life and a bike always ready to ride, will be your reward.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No way a Vee can be push-started unless there's enough voltage to get the fuel pump up to pressure, and run the engine control computer. Maybe then. I assume the timing sensor would need to register engine rotation before the computer would energize the injectors, so you may need to push for a while, or have a nice long hill. Almost certainly, in that situation, you'd want to disconnect the headlight plugs while trying it.
If the charger reads 5 amps, and you were in a hurry, I'd leave it there, although you'd need to watch the battery closely to make sure you didn't overheat it. As long as the battery passes current, it'll probably be OK. In my experience, when the battery won't pass current when you hook up the charger, you know it is time for a new battery.
If you can hear the fuel pump charge, you can bump start the bike.

Don't ask how I know, but third gear seems easiest...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently did the exact same thing and killed the battery. Not even the LCD clock was on. A battery tender is useless in this situation. You have to boost the battery with a jolt from a larger charger - Most automotive chargers are automatic on the 2 or 6 amp setting. You do need to start at the 6 amp setting. A warm battery doesn't necessarily mean that it's toast. It just means that it's charging (chemical reaction going on).

My charger has a 2 and 10 amp setting - I left it on the 10 amp setting for a few hours, then put my tender on it to finish it off. Apparently the tender does charge at a different frequency that helps break down the sulfphur build-up on the plates. That's why I still like to use it. Once there is too much build-up on the plates and it can't be broken down, that's when the battery won't hold a charge. (or the plates shorted out, in that case big boom).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts