StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be useful to anyone wanting to install a very basic 12v power connection.

I installed a 12v, weather-proof, accessory power outlet on my DL650 this afternoon. I wanted it there to power the small air compressor I bought to store under the seat. But it's also useful for a cellphone, etc.

Patched it directly to the battery posts, with a 10 amp automotive fuse inline on the positive lead.

Here's a photo of the installation, and the compressor as it sits nice and snug in the under-seat tray...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I hope you saw the correction on the other thread.

edit: I guess you did. I had the same outlet in my parts bin and the white wire is ground on it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Interesting idea. I never considered that. I'm about to install one myself but it will have to go up front for my Garmin. I'm planning to hide the outlet inside the fairing somewhere. Location TBD.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same outlet in my parts bin and the white wire is ground on it
Yeah, Pat...

I was glad I did the old flashlight and wire conductivity test. I guess it would have turned my compressor into a vacuum cleaner, otherwise.

:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Very nice setup, Newfoundlander.

Looks like you attached the outlet to the wall of the tray? Any problems?

I bought the same compact compressor ($5) from Cdn Tire. Works well, though rather noisily, too.

So, oldwirebrush, since you're in US, you might be able to mail order. Cdn Tire does do that, but you also might want to check one of your big chain hardware/auto stores.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you attached the outlet to the wall of the tray? Any problems?
There is a backing-plate with slots for screws on the socket, so attaching it to the tray wall was fairly easy.

It might not be the best location for someone who wants to use the outlet on the fly, however, since there's not enough clearance between the seat and the socket to leave a plug in there. Inside the tray, and sideways might be a better setup for guys wanting power on the fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts