StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really looking at the V-Strom. Getting back into biking after 10 years off. I want a "cool" bike that is reliable and maintenance isn't a bank robber. I won't buy new. I'd love to stay below $7k ish if I can. Plus the farther I am under this price, the more I have for mods. I plan to ride this on the street only .. no other plans. And I want the DL 1000.

The general questions are .... what year(s) should I look for? Are there years to avoid?
How good are the ABS brakes? Would you make this a requirement?
Is buffeting an issue? What are the windscreen options? ( I am 6' but short inseam of 30")
Is seat height an issue?
How much better/more effective is a full exhaust re-do better than just a slip on?
What's the recommendation for LED aux lights? LED tail light and turn signals?
I saw a used '05 with 45k that had Power Commander 3. How valuable is that?
My last bike was a Ducat ST, so it looks like I was a little more forward vs the V-Strom. Does anyone lower the bars at all?

Just in general, "if I were you, here's what I'd do / look for / important mods would be..... (complete the sentence).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Example - I found this - how good or bad is it? I can get this for < $3,000. This would be my 1st V-Strom. This leaves me room to do lots of mods & improvements (if needed)

2005 DL1000 with 45,xxx miles on it. Two Brothers exhaust, Moose Expedition racks and side cases, Givi tanklock ring, Givi crash bars, highway pegs, Power Commander 3, center mount phone holder. It has newer tires, and clutch slave cylinder. The bike was lowered about 1".

Is this good? Thanks!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Wow! You ain't askin' much are ya? :confused:

I have a 650, so I don't Have first hand info on the 1000's It will take a little work, but use the search function and dig through some old posts. It is a great bunch of folks on this forum, and some will probably chime in soon.

ABS - If you can get a bike in your price range with it I would do it.

45k isn't too many miles for a moderately well maintained bike. I'd flush the brakes and coolant if he hasn't already. It sounds like the bike is set up for you already. (Lowered seat, highway pegs.). Many go over 100k miles. There is a guy on the forum over 400k.

Power commander - do a search.

When you get your bike come hang out here. :smile2:

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
1000 doesn't have ABS until the new design which started in 2014, and that also gets you much better brakes and suspension, plus traction control and bump in hp and torque. Apples to oranges between the original and the new 1000, so it is very worthwhile to find a used one. Also you might consider checking out the model specific forums, every question you have asked has multiple answers to which you are seeking.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
But it would be hard to find 2014 and up under $7000. My simple advise - ride pre 2012 1000 and 2012 and up 650 first. you might be surprised...

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
He did say 7 "ish", I know it would be worth the extra coin to get the new 1000 and not even mess with the 12 and under. Of course I can't recommend the 650's enough, he is missing out on the overall best Stroms IMHO. :)

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
I want a "cool" bike
a Strom is about as far from a "cool bike" as you can get.

Sounds like you'd be a candidate more for an FZ8 or some such.

Strom is a workhorse, reliable, reasonable comfortable, long fuel range and can do moderate off pavement.
It's a good all arounder with lots of farkles ....cool ???? nah.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I want the DL 1000
Thanks in advance!
If i were you, here's what i'd do.

I'd buy a DL 1000.

But seriously. Where are you from and what do you want to do with it. The 1000 is nice, but the 650 is VERY capable. Looks to me like you haven't searched much on the subject, my suggestion would be to take your time reading what members have to say in the various sections of this forum.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I got a 2009 650 for $3800, only 11,000 miles. I've been seeing similar pricing on Craigslist and cycle-trader. All in after farkling the eff out of it, I'm at about 6K.
Consider it. Try riding one. My buddy who works for BMW keeps telling me "that bike runs more like a F800 than GS650" and "people who say it's underpowered haven't used the throttle".

That said, questions I can answer that you asked:
How good are the ABS brakes? Would you make this a requirement? I have non-ABS. It's fine. And less expensive to maintain if it breaks.
Is buffeting an issue? What are the windscreen options? I'm 5'11'. With stock windscreen at max, buffeting is an issue. I'm looking into madstad bracket or new screen now.
Is seat height an issue? Sometimes. You should be able to put balls of feet on ground easily enough - but you have to sit on the bike to know. All ADV bikes are higher due to ground clearance.
What's the recommendation for LED aux lights? LED tail light and turn signals? DO put on Aux lights. And yes there's a post about replacing tail lights with LEDs (and also head lamps). Search forums for it. I added the aux light kit from adventuretech.biz (a forum member/sponsor) and it's great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My previous 3 bikes. BMW R1100R, Ducati ST2, FZ1 completely modified (forks, shock, carb, full exhaust, etc). I am also considering a ST3s but there's no dealer in town and not sure about who I'd trust for maintenance. The v-storm caught my eye and I like what I read about being it Bullet proof, plus there are a ton of happy owners. Plus I do think the v-storm is a cool looking bike. My biggest concern thus far is buffeting. From my experience on the FZ1, that can be a pain to get rectified.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in Richmond VA. I will street ride. I do not foresee off road riding in my future, but you never know.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For me the big difference was price. I was looking at the 650s in multiple bikes (bmw, suz, kaw). If you're used to riding "big" bikes already in the 1000cc range, then you will prefer the DL1000.

·
Registered
14,473 Posts
"Can you tell me why you think the 650 is better?"

Some of us are not driven by horsepower and prefer the 650 because it seems to have fewer of the problems the 1000's seem to have.
My 04 650 has had no electrical problems, no clutch chuddering or other issues.
It also goes farther on a tank of fuel. Perhaps the tires last a bit longer too.

·
Administrator
16,599 Posts
Can you tell me why you think the 650 is better?
I have previously owned "2" 1000's, other than the new Vee2 1000 as we like to call it, the 650 Stroms have always been the all around better machine. Don't let the 650 fool ya, you would swear it was at least an 800 the way it runs. As for buffeting, that is all subjective.........but we have plenty of info and cures here for that as well. :wink2: These machines are the Swiss Army knife of motorcycles, it typically doesn't take somebody long to figure that out once they own one. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
You might be able to find a left over V2 really cheap. Romney Cycle Center had one for $8500 out the door. I was seriously considering it but it was gone Jan 1.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Can you tell me why you think the 650 is better?
Personally i wouldn't say better, but an alternative.

What i like about the 650, is that it's not a small bike. The engine might be less powerful, but when you sit on it, it doesn't feel like a dirt bike like some euro/indian bikes. I could certainly see myself pushing as many miles on it as i did on my 1000, so cumfy... and economical, the side luggage that usually comes as an option is larger than on my 1000.

I live in Richmond VA. I will street ride. I do not foresee off road riding in my future, but you never know.
You living in the US, and the strom being less popular in some markets to the point where some dealerships themselves (personal experience) have a hard time telling which version it is (or even how many cc lol), i would drive that price down in hard negotiations, no matter if a 650 or a 1000.

In Arkansas for example, i went in a dealership that never had ordered a 1000 strom since 2013. The salesman said they had a 650 a couple months before my visit that took almost a year to sell, they were desperate to get it off the floor...

·
Registered
528 Posts
While I agree with those that say the 650 is no slouch, the 2nd gen 1000 (Vee2) is just a better all around bike - in every way (except maybe price). The 650's are preferred over the gen 1 1000's, but not the gen 2. Second gen 1000 is completely different bike than the old. Awesome handling, suspension, and brakes. The most underrated bike, IMHO. I would think there will be plenty of used '14's coming on the market in the spring in your price range - especially since the newer gen 3 1000's are coming out. I myself am considering upgrading, and while I haven't given much thought on what I'd sell my Vee2 for, I'm sure it would be under $7K.

·
Vendor
4,912 Posts
Check Craig's list and "adhuntr." That is not a misprint. Adhuntr searches classifieds all over the country (US).

Believe it not there are still some unsold 2014 DL1000s out there in the $8Ks. And I believe you can find a used in the $7Ks if you wait long enough. The price difference between a Gen 1 and Gen 2 DL1000 is well worth it.

2014 Suzuki V Strom DL1000 Like New condition

1 - 20 of 31 Posts