StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a few people asking for a set of plans for the DL650 so I've gone through the process of creating a CAD file which can be used on a CNC machine to cut out the bash plate or simply used for the measurements and angles.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Just wanted to say that I think it's great that you'd create this project and then make the file available to everyone to use. That spirit is one of the things I like most about this forum, and why I keep posting here long after I traded my V-Strom. Hats off to you, Dan.

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
Dan,

With your permission I would like to try to make some ultra low cost skid plate kits with this design.

The skid pan could arrive in a flat package (low shipping cost). It would be cut per your plan with crease lines to be bent by the owner. The crease lines could be cut with a round nose end mill ensuring a precise bend location. I suspect the pan itself it could be done for <$50. There would still need to be a rear mounting bracket fabricated.

Another idea might be to include the rerar mounting bracket in the skid pan design. The rear mount could just be a matter of bending additional tabs.

We can call the Dan skid pan project or "Stromtrooper Skid Pan."

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

Am I looking at this thing wrong?

I don't see any measurements or even where the bends go.
I am not expert so I have no idea on what to do here.

Thoughts

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
I have not opened it myself, but will try when I get to the shop. It is a DWG file, so the measurements are inherent to the drawing itself. You will need a CAD program that reads DWG and or DXF files. There are quite a few free programs out there like Google sketchup (3D modeling for everyone | SketchUp) that can do the job.

I have not heard back from the OP about my offer to make a bunch of these as a low cost kit and therefore not done anything with it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Since I do not have the tools or skills to cut something like that I would like to see Rick make a reasonably priced plate I could bend myself. I have access to a brake to assist with the bends. To put it another way, I would gladly pay Rick for his time and effort to cut one of these for me since I can't do it myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'd love to see this come about. I'm coming from a Kawasaki Concours and we're known to be a "frugal" (read, cheap) bunch! This would be right in line with that philosophy. Hope you hear something, Rick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nicely thought out, radiused corners, venting, etc.

The drawing does not come with the dimension layer. When I tried to dimension it myself, the scale seems out, a bit......length comes up at 56' long. Maybe this is the working drawing, Dan?

Hopefully, this can be sorted...I like the thought put into it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Dan,

With your permission I would like to try to make some ultra low cost skid plate kits with this design.

The skid pan could arrive in a flat package (low shipping cost). It would be cut per your plan with crease lines to be bent by the owner. The crease lines could be cut with a round nose end mill ensuring a precise bend location. I suspect the pan itself it could be done for <$50. There would still need to be a rear mounting bracket fabricated.

Another idea might be to include the rerar mounting bracket in the skid pan design. The rear mount could just be a matter of bending additional tabs.

Thoughts?
I think this would be a winner. It bridges the gap between DIY guys and serious fabricators.
As regards the rear mounting tabs, Yes they should be included - even if shipped a bit oversized. And I hope you won't forget the V2 owners.

·
Vendor
5,361 Posts
Dan the man has been MIA since posting the design. I still like the concept of a very lost cost flat package skid pan that teh owner assembles, but it looks like it is going to have to wait for me to design one. Sorry about that.

BTW I believe Dane the man attended last years eastern gathering on a Ducati multi-strada. Contact info would be nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can open the file using Adobe Illustrator, but it seems too small to be the correct file. Does anyone know of a better program to use to open it, or have a picture of the original file with some dimensions so that I can take on this project?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats fine Rick, you are welcome to make changes to the plans as you wish and to use the drawings to make the skid plates for others

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nicely thought out, radiused corners, venting, etc.

The drawing does not come with the dimension layer. When I tried to dimension it myself, the scale seems out, a bit......length comes up at 56' long. Maybe this is the working drawing, Dan?

Hopefully, this can be sorted...I like the thought put into it.
The drawing should be correct, though I work in metric so not sure if this is your issue. I cut it out direct from this file on a CNC plasma so it should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dan the man has been MIA since posting the design. I still like the concept of a very lost cost flat package skid pan that teh owner assembles, but it looks like it is going to have to wait for me to design one. Sorry about that.

BTW I believe Dane the man attended last years eastern gathering on a Ducati multi-strada. Contact info would be nice.
I wish I was on a Ducati Multi-Strada in the USA!!! I'm a Metalwork teacher from Perth Western Australia

1 - 20 of 30 Posts