StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working with the MABDR file from their website, which is actually a track. I finally figured out how to convert the track into a route file on Basecamp, and was able to export the route file to a Garmin. The trouble was that the POIs from the MABDR file (the campgrounds, gas stations, lodging, etc) didn't export with the route. I followed some instructions I found on Youtube on how to export the POI list to my computer as a .gpx file, and that worked. However, when I tried to load those POIs onto my Garmin using the Garmin POI Loader, the loader can't see the .gpx file on my desktop.

Anyone here who knows their way around Basecamp have any ideas on this? Hopefully you can dumb it down so I can wrap my head around it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
+1 on Basecamp sucking. I find it very hard to use despite viewing the videos.

·
Registered
381 Posts
BaseCamp is a very good and powerful tool. Easy to learn and work with.

I downloaded the MidAtlantic BDR tracks and waypoints from their website to BaseCamp on my laptop. To look into your issue I selected just a section in MD which had a number of waypoints. I then transferred them to my 550. Everything transferred -- route, tracks and waypoints. The waypoints do not appear on the device unless zoomed in. Then I looked at the directions. The waypoints are not apparently part of the track for the section I selected. The campgrounds, parking, etc.... are waypoints off or along side the route, not part of the route. On the BaseCamp map, when zoomed in quite close, you can see the black dots on the track (which correspond to the turns on the written directions). None of those seem to be on the waypoints. I would guess that if you want them as waypoints on the route, you need to insert them into the route yourself -- which makes sense since everyone looking at the BDR route may not want or need those waypoints on their route.

I have to run to work now and will look at this again later, but that's my quick assessment.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
…. The trouble was that the POIs from the MABDR file (the campgrounds, gas stations, lodging, etc) didn't export with the route …

If you look at the route (open it) in BC you will see what waypoints are part of it. I assume the POI's are not. That will be transferred to the GPS if you send the route to the GPS. If you want to load the POI's, do they show up in BC when you have imported the GPX file. If yes you should be able to highlight them, right click and "send to" the GPS.

·
Super Moderator
16,879 Posts
BaseCamp is a very good and powerful tool. Easy to learn and work with.

I downloaded the MidAtlantic BDR tracks and waypoints from their website to BaseCamp on my laptop. To look into your issue I selected just a section in MD which had a number of waypoints. I then transferred them to my 550. Everything transferred -- route, tracks and waypoints. The waypoints do not appear on the device unless zoomed in. Then I looked at the directions. The waypoints are not apparently part of the track for the section I selected. The campgrounds, parking, etc.... are waypoints off or along side the route, not part of the route. On the BaseCamp map, when zoomed in quite close, you can see the black dots on the track (which correspond to the turns on the written directions). None of those seem to be on the waypoints. I would guess that if you want them as waypoints on the route, you need to insert them into the route yourself -- which makes sense since everyone looking at the BDR route may not want or need those waypoints on their route.

I have to run to work now and will look at this again later, but that's my quick assessment.

You are obviously a much smarter and patient person than myself. :grin2:

·
Registered
381 Posts
RCinNC, I did a bit more messing around with the BDR tracks in BaseCamp. Converting the track to a route in BC seems to follow the track exactly, but, when I open the properties box for the route, it shows the beginning and end waypoints only. It seems that all the dots you see on the map of a track do not convert to via points nor waypoints, however, when you go to the directions tab all of those points are identified through the turn by turn directions. So all of the track points are in the created route. None of the BDR waypoints are in their track/route, which seems to confirm my earlier thought that the track makers did not have them as part of the original track. So, to your point, their POIs/waypoints would not transfer as part of the route if you converted their track to a route and then transferred it to your GPS. Their POIs/waypoints should transfer to your device as stand-alone waypoints though.

As a test (always duplicate the route or track file, label it 'Test' and that way don't screw up your original file in BC), I then followed along the track and dropped waypoints at key locations. Due to the u-turns the track makers made throughout the BDR, you'll need to follow along the track and clean out some extraneous points anyhow, so this isn't "extra work". Since I had the track in one color and the test route in another, once I put all my new waypoints in and hit recalculate, I was assured my route followed the track precisely. I can now add in any POI/waypoint into the created route. Give that a try and see what you think. I can now transfer the track, route w/waypoints and/or POIs as stand-alone waypoints from BC on my laptop to my GPS.

·
Registered
381 Posts
RCinNC, one last thought on this. Use GPSBabel to change the trackpoints to waypoints. I hadn't used GPSBabel before but took a look at it today. Once you Export your track from BaseCamp to a gpx file on your C drive, you then post that gpx file into GPSBabel, click the waypoint button and assign a name to a file into which you want the waypoints to go, press OK. Go back into BC, select your File where you want the waypoints, then click on FILE>IMPORT. You now have all the waypoints. You can begin the data management task of deciding which ones you want to keep for a route, and then add in those campground, gas station, restaurant, and other POIs that BDR had in their downloaded file.
I filed away some instructions to myself at [https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IgyGjNdTzIFfONB55t7m9HtWTrpi5fGY[/url] You can take a look a those.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RCinNC, one last thought on this. Use GPSBabel to change the trackpoints to waypoints. I hadn't used GPSBabel before but took a look at it today. Once you Export your track from BaseCamp to a gpx file on your C drive, you then post that gpx file into GPSBabel, click the waypoint button and assign a name to a file into which you want the waypoints to go, press OK. Go back into BC, select your File where you want the waypoints, then click on FILE>IMPORT. You now have all the waypoints. You can begin the data management task of deciding which ones you want to keep for a route, and then add in those campground, gas station, restaurant, and other POIs that BDR had in their downloaded file.
I filed away some instructions to myself at https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bXXnpQnHx9UtXNYnvMEIQuBZjTm95ltM You can take a look a those.
Ok, here's where I'm at...

I've managed to successfully turn the MABDR tracks into routes, and export them to ny Nuvi 2455 using Basecamp. I checked the routes after they were loaded, and they followed the correct path for the MABDR, so that part of the mission is accomplished. Now here's my whole new dilemma....

I also exported all the POIs from the MABDR to a file on my desktop that I named "Garmin POI". The file I exported is labeled "Selected Data from MABDR" (that's the file name assigned by Basecamp). This file contains all of the POIs (restaurants, gas stations, water crossings, etc). Now, when I load this POI file onto the Garmin using POI Loader, the loader program tells me that I've successfully loaded 533 files onto the Garmin. However, when I go to the place where the customized POIs are stored (you access it by going to "where to" on the main screen of the Garmin, then pushing the "saved" button), I get the message "no data available". I know the files are on the GPS; there is a folder named "POI" on the internal storage of the Garmin, and inside that folder is a file named "Garmin POI", which is the same given to the POI file by the POI Loader program. The file is 80.7KB in size.

The first time I tried this, it worked; I checked the first section of the MABDR, and I saw the various POIs where they were supposed to be. I only loaded a couple POIs that time. I then removed them from the Garmin using the POI Loader, because I planned on loading the entire POI file. Now, I don't know what I did that caused it to not work any more, but no matter whether I try and load a single POI or the mass file that contains all the POIs, I get the same result: "no data available". I know it's there; I can see it on my computer's file manager when I have the Garmin plugged in. Do you have any idea what's happening here?

·
Registered
381 Posts
RC, this sounds like issues specific to the 2455 you use. You might have to find a forum specific to that. I use different ones, but there may be some similar things.....

>>> Now, when I load this POI file onto the Garmin using POI Loader, the loader program tells me that I've successfully loaded 533 files onto the Garmin. However, when I go to the place where the customized POIs are stored (you access it by going to "where to" on the main screen of the Garmin, then pushing the "saved" button), I get the message "no data available".

1. do you have to use POI Loader? Can't you download from BC to your device using the "Send" icon on the toolbar with your 2455 hooked up to BaseCamp?
2. My 550 has a similar issue with the 'saved' and 'no data there'. After you have downloaded your data doesn't it ask you if you want to import that data? If I miss that step and go to Favorites, there is no data. I have to then look through the Favorites menu and find the Import option. Do you have something like that on the 2455? The data can be downloaded to the device but not accessible until Imported.
3. do you have an external memory card installed on the 2455? Are you installing/downloading the POIs onto that rather than the internal memory? If I install straight to the internal memory on my 550, it does not read it but does fine when loaded to the external card.
4. You said you can tell the file is loaded to the device. Were you viewing that proof through the 2455 or your laptop? Can you hook your 2455 up to your computer while you have BaseCamp running? If so, it will show up at the bottom of the list under My Collection and all of your Folders and Lists. You should be able to click on it just like any other Folder, File or List and what is downloaded to it will show up in the data box on the left column below My Collection (as well as on the map). Thus you can see exactly what data is on the internal memory as well as what is on the external card.
5. When you removed the data from the 2455 using POI Loader, did you erase just the data or did you mistakenly erase the entire file and it's 'pathways'?

·
Registered
13,134 Posts
You guys aren't making much of a positive case for using Basecamp. >:)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys aren't making much of a positive case for using Basecamp. >:)
Believe me, SECoda, I'm ready to take my old state issue .357 and use both Nuvis and my laptop as target practice. When something that should be as simple as transferring a file containing Points of Interest from a laptop to a GPS (which requires yet another program??!!) becomes this much of a pain in the ass. it might be time to just finally make the switch to a damn smart phone and locus pro.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RC, this sounds like issues specific to the 2455 you use. You might have to find a forum specific to that. I use different ones, but there may be some similar things.....

>>> Now, when I load this POI file onto the Garmin using POI Loader, the loader program tells me that I've successfully loaded 533 files onto the Garmin. However, when I go to the place where the customized POIs are stored (you access it by going to "where to" on the main screen of the Garmin, then pushing the "saved" button), I get the message "no data available".

1. do you have to use POI Loader? Can't you download from BC to your device using the "Send" icon on the toolbar with your 2455 hooked up to BaseCamp?
2. My 550 has a similar issue with the 'saved' and 'no data there'. After you have downloaded your data doesn't it ask you if you want to import that data? If I miss that step and go to Favorites, there is no data. I have to then look through the Favorites menu and find the Import option. Do you have something like that on the 2455? The data can be downloaded to the device but not accessible until Imported.
3. do you have an external memory card installed on the 2455? Are you installing/downloading the POIs onto that rather than the internal memory? If I install straight to the internal memory on my 550, it does not read it but does fine when loaded to the external card.
4. You said you can tell the file is loaded to the device. Were you viewing that proof through the 2455 or your laptop? Can you hook your 2455 up to your computer while you have BaseCamp running? If so, it will show up at the bottom of the list under My Collection and all of your Folders and Lists. You should be able to click on it just like any other Folder, File or List and what is downloaded to it will show up in the data box on the left column below My Collection (as well as on the map). Thus you can see exactly what data is on the internal memory as well as what is on the external card.
5. When you removed the data from the 2455 using POI Loader, did you erase just the data or did you mistakenly erase the entire file and it's 'pathways'?

First, let me say thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.

Now, I've managed to get the custom POIs exported from Basecamp to my Nuvi. They show up under the "custom POI" category on the Nuvi, and they're all there. I've also converted the MABDR to routes from tracks, and have uploaded them to the Nuvi. I checked the route using the GPS simulator on the Nuvi, and the route follows the right course. Now here's the new issue...

The custom POIs aren't showing up on the map as I navigate. One of the first custom POIs is the Creeper Trail Restaurant. This custom POI is in the custom POI file. If I go to the Creeper Trail Restaurant POI in the custom POI list and select "Go", the GPS will navigate to that point. It will not, however, show any icon on the screen to indicate that the restaurant is there. I've zoomed in on the closest resolution on the GPS, and there is no icon there. The custom POIs all show up with a little heart shaped icon as a default setting, and it's nowhere to be seen. I know this because yesterday I did get this to work once, and all the MABDR custom waypoints were viewable on the route as I reviewed it.

The Map Detail layer is set to "More" (there are three options: More, Normal and Less).

I see the other POIs that are part of the Garmin software, like restaurants and such; I just don't see the custom ones I created, even though I know they're in the custom POI file.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is why I sold my Garmin Montana. FYI, you can download the GPX from the MABDR website and open it with Galileo or Locus and never touch the laptop. If you use Locus, the waypoint symbols are already set.

Here's a copy of the GPX from the MABDR website combined with the file that Mosey.Levy created for Galileo. Edited in Basecamp so the waypoints symbols jive with Locus.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YDkHgz7UESL22Cm-2ocUea8Ak-O50Wg5/view?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is why I sold my Garmin Montana. FYI, you can download the GPX from the MABDR website and open it with Galileo or Locus and never touch the laptop. If you use Locus, the waypoint symbols are already set.

Here's a copy of the GPX from the MABDR website combined with the file that Mosey.Levy created for Galileo. Edited in Basecamp so the waypoints symbols jive with Locus.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YDkHgz7UESL22Cm-2ocUea8Ak-O50Wg5/view?usp=drivesdk

That's where I'm at now, Nick. After three days, I've had enough of Basecamp bullshit. I just started a new thread to solicit advice exactly like you just described. https://www.stromtrooper.com/techy-world-gps-electronics-etc/420273-garmin-alternative.html#post5337515

And thanks for the download link. I just put the file on my desktop for later.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been working on some Locus instructions for the guys I'll be riding the MABDR with. I'll post them in the other thread.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I actually downloaded the guide from that link some time ago, and tried to force myself to get through it. I learned some of the basics on how to do routes, but much like advanced Algebra, it just doesn't sink in with me. I know some guys have no problems with it, and I admire them, but Basecamp just seems needlessly and ridiculously complicated for what you're trying to do with it. The POI thing I ran into is a perfect example; I don't understand why they'd require a second piece of software to convert a POI to a format recognizable by a GPS unit made by the same company that makes Basecamp. Why not include that function right in Basecamp? In fact, there is a pull down menu that has a "Manage POI" feature, but it's grayed out and not usable. It's like driving to Philly from Pittsburgh by way of Dubuque, Iowa.

It drives me nuts that I'm sitting here looking at all the custom POIs from the MABDR in the file on my Nuvi, so I know they're there, and yet I still can't see them on the route itself when I simulate it on the GPS. I even managed to brick one of my GPS units yesterday trying to get this to work (though I somehow got it rebooted again, still don't know how). The POI icons from Basecamp also don't export with the POI files, and in fact, there aren't even equivalent POI icons in the Nuvi to match the ones in Basecamp. All the icons default to the same symbol, which means if I want a gas station to have a gas station icon, I have to go through each POI and change each individual icon on the GPS itself. It's almost like Basecamp was designed for a whole different GPS.

Sorry for venting...Basecamp does that to me.

I still like using a GPS when I prepare a route on MyRoute. The Nuvis are cheap, almost disposable, and they're more tolerant of rough handling, cold, heat, etc than my phone. Up til now I didn't have any interest in changing, but once I started this process with the MABDR, I started realizing the limitations of the Garmin equipment (at least the Garmin devices I own). I looked at a Montana, but really, for what one of them cost, I'd rather just buy a mil spec smart phone and have all the extra conveniences of a phone.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts