StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting my first adventure bike, and v-strom 1000 is currently tops on my list.. but Suzuki doesn't have a comparison chart for their trims, and it's annoying.. the details pages all just say "may include" and seems to list everything.. but want to compare value differences of going easy and buying up or buying base and upgrading accessories myself.. does anyone know where to find a chart with the actual differences between the trim lines?
i.e.:
1000: base
1000XT: same but more off-road ready accessories?
1000XT Adv: XT accessories plus hard cases?

Seems like engine, brakes, specs otherwise equal..

Thanks!
hopefully soon you be strom-trooper.

current ride: Yamaha Road Star Warrior 1700, but want to be able to take some nice dirt roads and start to moto-camp.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
In Canada the base vs "x" is just spoked vs cast rims.

Adventure package adds center stand, crash bars, suzuki aluminum side cases, and 4 lock set.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just food for thought and my 2 cents....

For well maintained dirt roads, the regular cast wheels will be fine.. Anything other than that and the spoked wheels are probably worthy of consideration.

Hard side cases are frowned upon by some offroaders because they can be bent/crushed enough in even a simple drop to affect their use plus some will say that they have contributed to broken legs & ankles when dabbing your feet and getting caught under the bag....

I bought an adventure model and quickly determined that I should have got the regular model and kitted it with more suitable accessories based on how I was using it... Would've saved $$ overall if I had....

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

For well maintained dirt roads, the regular cast wheels will be fine.. Anything other than that and the spoked wheels are probably worthy of consideration.

Hard side cases are frowned upon by some offroaders because they can be bent/crushed enough in even a simple drop to affect their use plus some will say that they have contributed to broken legs & ankles when dabbing your feet and getting caught under the bag....

I bought an adventure model and quickly determined that I should have got the regular model and kitted it with more suitable accessories based on how I was using it... Would've saved $$ overall if I had....
Good points! Never thought of the injury factor. They also don't look very 2up friendly with their size.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
If you find a good deal on the XT ADV, buy it. Sell the hard bags but keep the racks. Then go to Mosko Moto and get a set of these:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-panniers/products/backcountry-35-pannier-kit

Or Scouts if you are a light packer:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-panniers/products/backcountry-pannier-left-side-bag-only

Due to the exhaust offset I have a Backcountry on the left and a Scout on the right. The bags are amazing and their backing plate bolts to oem racks in about 15 min. Flip a cam and the bags slide right off to carry away if mo-telling it. I can honestly say I will never own any other pannier brand.

As for the spokes, yeah harder to clean(once a year whether the bike needs it or not). But they will take a pothole or other unexpected road hazard better than cast, so to me they are worth it. Besides, spokes are a classic look and I'm gettin old.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
If you find a good deal on the XT ADV, buy it. Sell the hard bags but keep the racks. Then go to Mosko Moto and get a set of these:

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-panniers/products/backcountry-35-pannier-kit

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-panniers/products/backcountry-pannier-left-side-bag-only

Due to the exhaust offset I have a Backcountry on the left and a Scout on the right. The bags are amazing and their backing plate bolts to oem racks in about 15 min. Flip a cam and the bags slide right off to carry away if mo-telling it. I can honestly say I will never own any other pannier brand.

As for the spokes, yeah harder to clean(once a year whether the bike needs it or not). But they will take a pothole or other unexpected road hazard better than cast, so to me they are worth it. Besides, spokes are a classic look and I'm gettin old.
Those bags aren't cheap!

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,683 Posts

I see no problem with the cast wheels, but I wonder whether they're needed for larger/heavier bikes? All the BMW heavy adv's seem to have spoked wheels.

Aluminum side cases seem to be super-popular with the BMW crowd, but I'll take my cheap, plastic Givi E36's any day.

Not only are they a lot cheaper to replace if I completely trash one, they're surprisingly resilient. I've gone down hard a couple of times with both side cases on. So far I've had to replace one latch, one plastic latch cover, and a set of racks, but not the case itself.

Have not yet had a case try to injure me, but yes, I'd rather have a plastic box run into me than metal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
XT adventure is a good package for the price, plus it saves a lot of time when setting up a bike for the road. The one thing him adding to mine will be Happy Trails Skid plate. Best coverage for the money.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I see no problem with the cast wheels, but I wonder whether they're needed for larger/heavier bikes? All the BMW heavy adv's seem to have spoked wheels.

Aluminum side cases seem to be super-popular with the BMW crowd, but I'll take my cheap, plastic Givi E36's any day.

Not only are they a lot cheaper to replace if I completely trash one, they're surprisingly resilient. I've gone down hard a couple of times with both side cases on. So far I've had to replace one latch, one plastic latch cover, and a set of racks, but not the case itself.

Have not yet had a case try to injure me, but yes, I'd rather have a plastic box run into me than metal.
Spoke wheels with steel rims are much less likely to catastrophically fail (knock a huge chunk out of the rim lip...etc) if you hit a bad rut or big rock.. Cast wheels are a recipe for a really long bad day if you break a wheel miles deep in the woods.

Even though BMW GS's are a bit more dirt capable than V-Strom, like the V-Strom the overwhelming majority of GS's never see anything worse than a dirt road.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
The kit is high priced, but the individual bags are $200 a piece. Is the other $300 for the rack...?
The BackCountry's are $730 for the kit which does not include bike racks(every bike is different) but does include the backing plate and the quick disconnect frame that goes on the bike's rack. The $210 for individual bag is bag only, no frame or mounting plate...more a replacement for a damaged bag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks! I had also heard the same about hard cases and was also thinking of XT to outfit accessories myself..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thanks! another good thought!

·
Registered
795 Posts
For commuting and traveling I much prefer hard cases. Having had both of my ankles eaten by my hard cases, I very much prefer soft cases for dedicated off-road travel and camping.

The factory hard cases don’t cramp a passenger.

Regarding the XT: I bought a 2015 leftover in 2016 and came away with a bike very close to what I wanted at what I thought was a very reasonable price. Like someone said above, if you like the stuff that Suzuki puts on the bike, buy it. If not, it will be stuff you have to sell so you can configure it the way you like it.

For me it was a 90% solution. YMMV.

BTW. I’ll be out in Mesa next month. PM me if you would like to meet for In-n-Out burger.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It will be cheaper if you buy the adventure package instead of outfitting it afterwards if you like the Suzuki gear. If not then get the XT and outfit yourself. The Suzuki gear is actually built pretty well. It's made by another company for Suzuki, not sure which one. If you don't like the box style cases then you can get the XT and go with something like Shad or Givi vases which are more oval.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will be cheaper if you buy the adventure package instead of outfitting it afterwards if you like the Suzuki gear.
really? I was thinking it's the other way around, aftermarket is usually cheaper than the high manuf/dealer markup. From what I've seen the adventure is going for +$2000 over the xt... seems I'd be able to fairly easily get crash bar, side cases, center stand and an even better engine guard for that! (but add to that having to install all myself)
but again, I'm new to the strom, I've only browsed the accessories briefly to see what was out there (figuring skipping dealer markup and getting comparable but potentially better for same if not less prices, i.e. aluminum engine guard over plastic), all part of that decision making on which model to go with..
and on that note, I don't know if I like the default Suzuki gear, no experience with any of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For commuting and traveling I much prefer hard cases. Having had both of my ankles eaten by my hard cases, I very much prefer soft cases for dedicated off-road travel and camping.

The factory hard cases don’t cramp a passenger.

Regarding the XT: I bought a 2015 leftover in 2016 and came away with a bike very close to what I wanted at what I thought was a very reasonable price. Like someone said above, if you like the stuff that Suzuki puts on the bike, buy it. If not, it will be stuff you have to sell so you can configure it the way you like it.

For me it was a 90% solution. YMMV.

BTW. I’ll be out in Mesa next month. PM me if you would like to meet for In-n-Out burger.
I've been looking to do the same.. find a highly discounted leftover new 2018 xt (I like the yellow), or the xt adventure is only 2019 (and I really like the blue).. was originally looking a bit older with a few miles on them (under 5k), but doesn't seem to save much off new.. like the idea of old, new stock for a discount
I wish the adventure model had a bigger gas tank (like the bmw adventure model does).. more miles!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hard or soft? Ask my wife which is best:)

On to bags.........I tried soft (Wolf) on my last bike, Tiger 800 XC. I didnt like them. A huge PITA to open and close. This time around I discovered Moto Sotrm in Italy with their huge discounts on Givi products and bought a set of Trekker Outbacks 37 in black finish. Love them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts