StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I bought this kit from Revzilla and it looks like it'll finally show up today because UPS drivers evidently can't drive in snow... ugh. And they wouldn't even let me come pick up my package last Wednesday when it was supposed to be delivered. Sorry for my rant.

Is it as simple as the instructions look? Take off bar ends, put these on and ride? Instructions make it look like a 15 min install. But I just can't believe it's as easy as it looks.

I've been looking at a thread on here about them, but it's mainly arguing back and forth on which kit is better or worse. I can't really find anything regarding the install, which leads me to believe it actually is as easy as it looks.

·
Registered
615 Posts
my buddy has these on his cb500x, it is as easy as it looks to install them. Now it depends how OCD you are from there. Lining them up correctly/evenly can be quite interesting. You could spend days doing it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also ordered them from Revzilla.

The install was about 20 minutes.

About the only mistake you can make is backing off the stock bar end screws too far.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Definitely pay particular attention to the comment above about "backing off the stock bar end screws too far". From the posts I've seen here, that's about the only mistake you can make during this install.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Yep, just want to loosen those screws and then wiggle and pull them out. Also, there has been some discussion about whether the inside aluminum bracket goes over or under. According to the diagram, they go under, which works great on the left bar, but on the right that puts it right up against the metal ferrule on the brake line. Someone pointed out that if it got whacked hard enough (like a drop) it might damage that line. If you reverse the bracket, it works good on the brake side, but the clutch cable rubs on it. I changed mine to this configuration and just wrapped some electrical tape around the clutch cable. The only other issue was that some of the bolts couldn't be tightened in the recommended order, but that wasn't really a problem. Since this might not make much sense, will try to find some pics to post.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Mine are; over on the clutch side, and under on the brake side.
On the clutch side I have my oxford heater controller attached to the bb bracket.
And yes,,,,you can spend a lot of time looking, re-adjusting, looking....etc. :green_lol:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! I suppose I'll tackle the install this weekend, unless I get some free time one afternoon this week.

... and thanks for the reminder regarding only loosening the screw!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Thank you all! I suppose I'll tackle the install this weekend, unless I get some free time one afternoon this week.

... and thanks for the reminder regarding only loosening the screw!
Loosen a little and tap the screw... if is doesn't pull out loosen a little more, tap...etc.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should unscrewing 1/4" suffice? Or is that too much?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Should unscrewing 1/4" suffice? Or is that too much?
I can't say how much I loosened...but I just went slow and wiggled it back and forth. As I recall when I finally got it out I could have unscrewed more...
It's the "tap" that is supposed to break it free. Good luck.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, it was exactly as easy as the instructions made it seem. 15-20 mins.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Exact same boat here, I ordered the busters from revzilla and waited forever for them to be delivered due to snow. I just put mine on so I'll give you the only tips I could figure out for myself...

You can go ahead and follow the instructions for the V-strom to pre-assemble them, just don't tighten anything down. When it comes time to install, take the extra time to work on the existing bar-ends because they're a total pain in the ass. There's the weight, a screw, an internal metal spacer and then two essentially rubber parts. The rubber parts are hell to get out.

My approach was: start on the left side, turn the bar all the way to the left so it's pointing down. This way, nothing is going to fall inside the bars. Back out the screw about 1/2 in or so and start wiggling it up and down as best you can. What you're looking to do is back out the rubber portion right inside the bar. I ended up getting a flathead screwdriver and using it along with lots of wiggle to pull the first rubber section out of the bars. Once it looked like I could get a good grip, I backed out the screw all the way very gently so to not disturb anything inside. I then pulled out the first rubber section, the bar weight and the spacer. If you look inside at this point, you'll see the final rubber section and screw still inside.

From this point I made the mistake of moving on and leaving one side in there. Once you jam the barkbuster end inside the bars, it's not coming back out easily, so don't do what I did.

From this point what I would do if I were you is to put the bar end on the long bolt, leave everything else off and carefully thread the bold back into the handlebar to catch that final rubber section. Make sure you get it in there a few revolutions so it has a good hold on that section. If you've done this right, you'll have the bolt hanging out of the end of the bar, a weight to grip and it should be screwed into the rubber piece still inside the bar. Now you can just wiggle and yank the hell out of it for 10 minutes or so and work the internal piece back out of the bar.

Once that's done, you just repeat the whole process on the other side.

The barkbusters go in pretty logically. Just go slow and route them around the cables on the right side. The left side is dead simple.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's good to read, Josh. I'm considering the same upgrade to my DL650.
I spent ~10 mins putting them together (on the couch) Tuesday night while watching TV. Then 15-20 mins putting them on the bike Wednesday night.

The longest process was taking the original bar ends off. I was way too paranoid that I'd lose pieces in there. So I'd unscrew 1/2 turn and jiggle jiggle jiggle. If nothing happened, 1/2 more, etc.

Save yourself the headache, unscrew it a 1/2-3/4", and then start jiggling. If there's any resistance, then start unscrewing little bits at a time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Have a pair of BB on the way and was wondering were you able to put the OEM bar end weights back on with the Bark Busters,with all the hardware that came with the BB kit ?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I Have a pair of BB on the way and was wondering were you able to put the OEM bar end weights back on with the Bark Busters,with all the hardware that came with the BB kit ?
I, personally, didn't even try. The BB ends seemed... well... heavy.

·
Registered
48 Posts
BB

Hi did you see any difference in vibration my bike seams very smooth it is all stock with no guards or bags? 2014 DL 650.

thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't ridden my bike in ~2 weeks. I hope to ride again next week.
It's a bit too cold for me currently.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spent far too long evening out both sides so they're even... I'm pretty sure the left is still a little lower than the right. :mrgreen:

Gah... how could anyone say a DL650 is ugly??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts