StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contemplating Barkbusters Storm,. I think they come in 1 and 2 point mount configuration. I am looking for robust wind protection and lever protection in case if fall. Would the one point mounts protect? Or are there others less expensive yet as good on the market?

·
Registered
499 Posts
The regular (2-point) Barkbusters are definitely very well made and will protect your levers. Hard to imagine that a single point handguard is able to do the same.

There are cheaper clones out there I think but I bought the real ones and would do so again for piece of mind both in durability of hardware and in installation/fitment. These things are not that easy to install, at least I want to be sure they fit in the first place and I can get support if needed.

BTW: I got the VPS model, thinking it looks better on my 2017 650. The only difference is the plastic, which is interchangeable. The VPS has two settings for the wind deflector, high and low.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply I want the assurance ( as much as you can be assured..) that a drop I should be covered and be able to get out of the woods. I cheap out on a lot of things but I think this is something I should go legit on. Snapping a lever 10 miles deep in a logging trail would be less than optimal

The regular (2-point) Barkbusters are definitely very well made and will protect your levers. Hard to imagine that a single point handguard is able to do the same.

There are cheaper clones out there I think but I bought the real ones and would do so again for piece of mind both in durability of hardware and in installation/fitment. These things are not that easy to install, at least I want to be sure they fit in the first place and I can get support if needed.

BTW: I got the VPS model, thinking it looks better on my 2017 650. The only difference is the plastic, which is interchangeable. The VPS has two settings for the wind deflector, high and low.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Guards are no grantee to save your leavers so there is a couple of other things you can do to help.

Put Teflon plumbers tape under your perches.

This will allow you to tighten down your gear enough that it will stay in place under normal use but if you have a get off your gear can move, this will absorb the shock thus saving leavers, mirrors and master cylinders.

You can also drill a small hole in your leavers at a point where you would like it to break should the worst happen.

By having a weak point part way down a leaver you can ensure it breaks with enough leaver left that you can still use it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guards are no grantee to save your leavers so there is a couple of other things you can do to help.

This will allow you to tighten down your gear enough that it will stay in place under normal use but if you have a get off your gear can

EXCELLENT advice!!!!!!! move, this will absorb the shock thus saving leavers, mirrors and master cylinders.

You can also drill a small hole in your leavers at a point where you would like it to break should the worst happen.

By having a weak point part way down a leaver you can ensure it breaks with enough leaver left that you can still use it.
EXCELLENT advice!!!!!!!

I think i may do this

·
Registered
642 Posts
+1 on this. I did this on my CR500 back in the day and only broke one lever the entire season I rode with them like that. That's dropping the bike multiple times a day.

·
Registered
245 Posts
@vboost
I have the barbusters two-point mount / storm guards on my 2017. I dropped my bike, at very low speed, on a steep hairpin trail during a training course. The drop is unfortunately not visible here, but it is just over the edge to the left of the photo. Drop was onto sharp 4 -6" rocks. I was barely moving (and not looking where I wanted to go as well as moving too slowly). Small scrape to kappa bars and some scrapes to barkbuster. I'd say they did very well. No damage to levers or mirror.

Attachments

Reactions: vboost

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
BB's are a great system but they are only bolted on so they can move given the right/wrong circumstances.

BB's having the 2 mounting points also helps to support the handlebars, while they may get bent a total breakage is less likely so you can continue your trip/ride.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Expecting a piece of aluminum and plastic to take the impact of a falling 400 lb motorcycle is unrealistic. And if you are depending on someone else's assurances that the bark busters will protect you in every conceivable get off, what are you going to do when the shift or brake lever snaps 40 miles from a paved road? Why not just carry an extra shift and brake lever with you and a couple of wrenches?

If you ride off road, accidents are going to happen. The best you can do is learn how to deal with minor damage to the bike. If you have the skills, it will take away some of the worry about disabling your bike in the boonies, you will ride more relaxed and might avoid a crash you might otherwise have had. And the skills you develop to deal w/ unforeseen mechanical problems will be used in maintaining your bike.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was not asking for a written guarantee. I was asking for a realistic expectation of what would happen when various versions of BB were dropped.... which i have received from multiple posters.

thanks anyway.

Expecting a piece of aluminum and plastic to take the impact of a falling 400 lb motorcycle is unrealistic. And if you are depending on someone else's assurances that the bark busters will protect you in every conceivable get off, what are you going to do when the shift or brake lever snaps 40 miles from a paved road? Why not just carry an extra shift and brake lever with you and a couple of wrenches?

If you ride off road, accidents are going to happen. The best you can do is learn how to deal with minor damage to the bike. If you have the skills, it will take away some of the worry about disabling your bike in the boonies, you will ride more relaxed and might avoid a crash you might otherwise have had. And the skills you develop to deal w/ unforeseen mechanical problems will be used in maintaining your bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Replacing the levers with a set of shorties gives you an extra layer of protection too. The stock levers are just too prone to breakage, because they stick out so far. I broke one clutch lever the same day I had installed it to replace another broken lever. That was enough of that for me. Haven't broken a lever since installing shorties. A side benefit to shorty levers is if you tend to use only one or two fingers for braking, the fingers left gripping the bar will not prevent full travel on the brake side

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for the reply I want the assurance ( as much as you can be assured..) that a drop I should be covered and be able to get out of the woods. I cheap out on a lot of things but I think this is something I should go legit on. Snapping a lever 10 miles deep in a logging trail would be less than optimal
BarkBusters1-point mounts are for applications where the handlebar configuration won't allow for attachment at the inner part of the handlebar.The 2-point by design mount much more securely. They are very well made and will protect your hands somewhat in cold or wet weather. They are designed to fend off trees and other forest flora, and will offer more protection for your bars and your hands & wrists than nothing at all; could be difficult to replace the clutch lever you brought along with a sprained wrist. I've had a light left lowside in sand & gravel and the BarkbBusters protected the clutch lever/bar/switchpod, and my left hand never touched the ground.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replacing the levers with a set of shorties gives you an extra layer of protection too. The stock levers are just too prone to breakage, because they stick out so far. I broke one clutch lever the same day I had installed it to replace another broken lever. That was enough of that for me. Haven't broken a lever since installing shorties. A side benefit to shorty levers is if you tend to use only one or two fingers for braking, the fingers left gripping the bar will not prevent full travel on the brake side

i have never replaced levers? how hard is it to change them out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Recently I dropped my bike at an off-road training course and noticed the tip of brake lever had broken, which confused me as it was behind a fully in-tact SINGLE-POINT mounted Barkbuster guard. It seems that either that drop, or potentially a previous one that day (it was an exciting day) had shifted the Barkbuster up without me noticing, exposing the lever. I would think that a dual-point guard would have done a better job of staying in place.

Fortunately the lever was still usable thanks the notch near the end of the lever, allowing the tip to brake off on impact and leave most of the lever in-tact. I've since replaced the levers with a shorty CNC aluminum set I bought on Amazon. I think 'Ride-It' is the brand. So far they've been a nice upgrade over the originals. And, I now have the originals in my tool-tube as a back-up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you recommend any shortie levers from somewhere like Amazon that won't break the bank? 2019 wee.
Thanks

·
Registered
499 Posts
Can you recommend any shortie levers from somewhere like Amazon that won't break the bank? 2019 wee.
Thanks
Mine was free: I still use the broken brake lever which snapped at the designed weak spot before I installed the Barkbusters. Rounded over with some sandpaper, perfect for two or three fingers. Recently completed an MSF experiences rider training with lots of emergency braking exercises. I actually like that it now doesn’t have the bulbous end of most levers for quicker access.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine was free: I still use the broken brake lever which snapped at the designed weak spot before I installed the Barkbusters. Rounded over with some sandpaper, perfect for two or three fingers. Recently completed an MSF experiences rider training with lots of emergency braking exercises. I actually like that it now doesn’t have the bulbous end of most levers for quicker access.
unfortunately that will not pass Motor Vehicle Safety Inspection where i am from.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Yes the bulb is to reduce the chance of the leaver piercing your skin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts