StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Barkbusters on the XT yesterday (Saturday). First, nice looking kit. Seems beefy, should be able to take more abuse then the bones in my fingers. Now, the install hardware that comes with the Barkbusters..... Garbage would be a fair description. The slip collar for capturing the guard into the handlebar is, at least for my application, an issue. I ended up using the hardware from the OEM bar-end weights instead of the garbage that Barkbusters included.

Now the issues with installing. This kit was listed to work with ALL V-Stroms. Even on the Barkbuster site. This is not true, the 2018 XT 1000 has a tapered handlebar which has too large a diameter for the Barkbuster kit. I did get it to fit by incorporating the Dremel and filing down the radius of the clamps that go around the bars. Also, even doing this, I still will need longer M6 screws to hold those clamps around the bars. Going to order some 30mm off of Amazon, as I doubt the local hardware stores will carry caphead M6 by 30mm bolts.
This modification was not difficult, and actually I would normally not make a big deal out of it; however, the Barkbusters are overpriced to begin with. If they did fit as advertised I would again have no issue. For folks out there who do not want to modify a piece of kit they just overpaid for, this could become a bone of contention.

I do not know if the SW Motech guards fit better, but this could have been done better by Barkbusters. I hope they are better in their intended purpose.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm going to bump / comment on this post since the search feature for future users looking for 'Barkbuster' info will likely hit on it and I want to make sure there is not misinformation out there.

I also just completed an install of the BB, model BHG-152-00-NP, which is the basic handguards for 1 1/8" aluminum bars.

Here's the issue that @dwayneh was trying to explain, but it is not BB's fault: Suzuki is misrepresenting the OEM bars on the XT model as 1 1/8" aluminum tapered bars. They are STEEL. Put a magnet on them and see.

Because steel bars have thinner walls than aluminum, and because the BB kit is designed for aluminum bars, there is basically a larger hole (for lack of a better description) that needs to be filled by the bar end mount. For that reason, the BB bar end mounts will not work. You can use Dwayne's suggestion of cannibalizing the OEM bar end hardware if you want, but there is an easier way. More on that below.

I also am of the impression that Dwayne may have ordered the 7/8" bar kit, or possibly reversed the inner mounts (they are side specific) because having to dremel the inner clamp mounts out makes no sense to me.

Anyway, the solution to the BB issue - if you have the STOCK 1 1/8" bars - is to place a piece of rubber hose over top of the assembly that goes into the bar ends. I used some scrap from a set of Tusk handguards that I installed on my dirt bike. Those bars are aluminum, and because the Tusk guards are set up for both steel and aluminum bars, they include these rubber sleeves to act as a spacer and to provide the correct diameter for the bar ends if you are mounting them in steel bars. By my best measurements, those rubber sleeves are pretty similar to 9/16" inner diameter rubber hose. So the solution is to get about 5 inches of 9/16" ID rubber hose, like a fuel line, or similar; and slide that over the bar end assembly before install.

Everything else bolts up just fine and there are no issues. I added a summary of the above on the Revzilla site under reviews for the BB to hopefully "alert" more people. It's a simple fix but if you don't have a good understanding of stuff you might be flummoxed and / or pissed off.

If there are questions please post up.

Pics of the install below... don't judge my:

a) lack of centerstand; it's supposedly en route
b) scarred up BB plastics... they have been on 3 different bikes now and I just keep reusing them...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm going to bump / comment on this post since the search feature for future users looking for 'Barkbuster' info will likely hit on it and I want to make sure there is not misinformation out there.

I also just completed an install of the BB, model BHG-152-00-NP, which is the basic handguards for 1 1/8" aluminum bars.

Here's the issue that @dwayneh was trying to explain, but it is not BB's fault: Suzuki is misrepresenting the OEM bars on the XT model as 1 1/8" aluminum tapered bars. They are STEEL. Put a magnet on them and see.

Because steel bars have thinner walls than aluminum, and because the BB kit is designed for aluminum bars, there is basically a larger hole (for lack of a better description) that needs to be filled by the bar end mount. For that reason, the BB bar end mounts will not work. You can use Dwayne's suggestion of cannibalizing the OEM bar end hardware if you want, but there is an easier way. More on that below.

I also am of the impression that Dwayne may have ordered the 7/8" bar kit, or possibly reversed the inner mounts (they are side specific) because having to dremel the inner clamp mounts out makes no sense to me.

Anyway, the solution to the BB issue - if you have the STOCK 1 1/8" bars - is to place a piece of rubber hose over top of the assembly that goes into the bar ends. I used some scrap from a set of Tusk handguards that I installed on my dirt bike. Those bars are aluminum, and because the Tusk guards are set up for both steel and aluminum bars, they include these rubber sleeves to act as a spacer and to provide the correct diameter for the bar ends if you are mounting them in steel bars. By my best measurements, those rubber sleeves are pretty similar to 9/16" inner diameter rubber hose. So the solution is to get about 5 inches of 9/16" ID rubber hose, like a fuel line, or similar; and slide that over the bar end assembly before install.

Everything else bolts up just fine and there are no issues. I added a summary of the above on the Revzilla site under reviews for the BB to hopefully "alert" more people. It's a simple fix but if you don't have a good understanding of stuff you might be flummoxed and / or pissed off.

If there are questions please post up.

Pics of the install below... don't judge my:

a) lack of centerstand; it's supposedly en route

b) scarred up BB plastics... they have been on 3 different bikes now and I just keep reusing them...

Thank you for adding that. The kit I orderd was what was recommended on the Backbusters site for the V Strom 1000. When I ordered I do not remember checking if it was made for the XT, however I know when ordering I would have selected that option if it were available. Furthermore, the Barkbusters info stated that it was for the 2018 V Strom 1000. As just a consumer, I would have expected BB to know that the XT and standard 1000 have different bars. How was I to know when ordering, that the kit would only fit 7/8, when the site said 2018 V Strom 1000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thank you for adding that. The kit I orderd was what was recommended on the Backbusters site for the V Strom 1000. When I ordered I do not remember checking if it was made for the XT, however I know when ordering I would have selected that option if it were available.

No problem. I bet you got the 7/8" version, but that is weird because the 7/8" should have bar mount hardware for steel bars so while you would have had the correct bar end stuff the inner clamps would have been too small. It sounds like you had neither the correct bar end stuff OR the inner clamps... so I'm not sure what to make of that.

I doubt BB even knows that the 1 1/8" bars on the XT are not aluminum. I assume that they just go by Suzuki's specs and since the kit is built for the bar size, not specifically to the DL1000XT, BB may well have never even checked to see if it actually works on the XT.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...BB may well have never even checked to see if it actually works on the XT.

That was the point of my post really. It’s a good product...overpriced, but what isn’t that revolves around motorcycles.

When I put the bar end weights in the bars, they did not feel secure enough to my liking. That was another reason I opted to use parts from the OEM weights. It works, and I like it that they’re black to match the rest of the grip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
thanks for the post

·
Premium Member
727 Posts

Man, thanks for taking the time for the post and pics.
I lucked out and got a used set, that came off a 2009, from Ebay, for $28.00, but no instructions were included. I figured it out pretty good and now would'nt hesitate to buy a new set.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a set of Barkbusters and was having problems with the install; looking for help, I found your post.

From the instructions I do have, there should be a bar end between the aluminum bar and the grip. I think you've omitted a piece in your install. Not sure if that would have solved the issues you were having or not.

I could be wrong too. If you want, I'll take a couple pics and upload how I got my set installed.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I got a set of Barkbusters and was having problems with the install; looking for help, I found your post.

From the instructions I do have, there should be a bar end between the aluminum bar and the grip. I think you've omitted a piece in your install. Not sure if that would have solved the issues you were having or not.

I could be wrong too. If you want, I'll take a couple pics and upload how I got my set installed.
Correct. If you buy a BB machine specific kit there should be bar weights included. If you buy a BB generic kit (as mine is) there are not. The weights don't make any difference in the install because no part of them goes into the bar.

The day after taking those above pics, I added bar weights to mine by using the OEM Suzuki weights that I slightly trimmed up, and longer bolts. I forgot to update this thread accordingly. I took a photo this morning (below).

This had a slightly noticeable effect on bar vibes, but not much. It does look a little more finished this way and also gives a bit more room inside the guards for hand placement.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
^

Here are better pictures of the "revised" installation, using a portion of the Suzuki OEM bar ends as a spacer / weight in between the end of the bars and the Barkbuster.

To recap, the install on the inner mounts is the standard Barkbuster "fat bar" inner tapered mounts that come with their "generic" universal fit fat bar kit. On the end of the bars I used Tusk brand (leftover) inner bar expanders and bolt, fuel line, and part of the OEM bar weights. Upon installation, approx 14,000 miles ago, I marked all bolts to check for movement, and there has been no movement at all. The assembly remains rock solid.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had to replace my bars after a minor crash. The OEM hand guard was rashed on the left side, so I bought a pair of used BarkBusters from another member on here. My new Pro Taper bars are same profile, but actually aluminum, not steel like OEM.

The bar end internal clamps were too large, so I put them on my lathe and carefully shaved them down until they fit. The clamps on the tapered part were too small and had to be opened up a bit. A die grinder and files took care of those. I know parts for were available to remedy each problem, but I didn't want to spend more money and time in getting it roadworthy again.

·
Registered
238 Posts
First off, thanks for all the folks here posting helpful pictures and details. Barkbusters Storm hand guards (and Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Heated Grips) will be installed on my 2017 DL650; does anyone know if the DL650 handlebars have the same install issue as the XT? Just want to be able to let the install person know of any possible hiccups with the Barkbusters install. FYI I am ordering the https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-storm-handguard-kit-honda-kawasaki-suzuki from Revzilla.

Also, some posts in this thread discuss using the OEM bar ends (think that's what they are called) with the Barkbusters. I saw there are Barkbusters Accessory – Bar End Weight (EXTERNAL) which look great, though it seems to me they'd serve the same purpose as the OEM bar ends (reduce vibration). https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-storm-vps-teardrop-bar-end-weights

Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
First off, thanks for all the folks here posting helpful pictures and details. Barkbusters Storm hand guards (and Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring Heated Grips) will be installed on my 2017 DL650; does anyone know if the DL650 handlebars have the same install issue as the XT? Just want to be able to let the install person know of any possible hiccups with the Barkbusters install. FYI I am ordering the https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-storm-handguard-kit-honda-kawasaki-suzuki from Revzilla.

Also, some posts in this thread discuss using the OEM bar ends (think that's what they are called) with the Barkbusters. I saw there are Barkbusters Accessory – Bar End Weight (EXTERNAL) which look great, though it seems to me they'd serve the same purpose as the OEM bar ends (reduce vibration). https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/barkbusters-storm-vps-teardrop-bar-end-weights

Thank you for your help!
The DL650 bars are steel 7/8" and the product you linked SHOULD work for those bars. IIRC that is the model I bought for my old DL650. That kit will also include the Barkbuster bar end wights that go between the BB spine and the handlebars. The weights you linked are not needed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
The DL650 bars are steel 7/8" and the product you linked SHOULD work for those bars. IIRC that is the model I bought for my old DL650. That kit will also include the Barkbuster bar end wights that go between the BB spine and the handlebars. The weights you linked are not needed.
Awesome, MeefZah- thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Love that message to self!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Love that message to self!
Yeah I get carried away with speed once in a while (GPS top speed on a DL1000 is 127mph, BTW), don't know that I pay any attention to the note anymore but it gets some laughs from people that see it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts