StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got OE hand guards on my '14, and don't find they provide good wind/rain protection. When I have the levers tilted slightly downwards, which I prefer, my knuckles and back of my hand are exposed. Not looking for brush guard performance: it is solely weather protection I am after.

I know a few people have fitted Barkbuster Storms. If possible, please could someone post photos of them installed? It is the inboard end I would particularly like to see the arrangement of, rather than the bar end, er, end.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a pic. I'm still on a BMW, but pick up my new Vee next week....

I'm running Barkbusters on my F650gs. And a buddy with a Vee (12) has had both the Bark Busters and the suzuki OEM hand guards. And per his experience, the Bark busters offer much greater wind/weather protection. It may be time to head over to his place and have a beer. If I get there, I'll snap a pic.

NNY

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
I got the OEM handguards as a Christmas gift from my son and they are not nearly as protective as the OEMs for the Gen 2 650 I had. When I added handlebar risers I was able to adjust them to be optimal for wind (with the higher handlebar position and hand angle) but now a rock could slip through from the bottom I suppose if at a steep enough angle from the ground. They now work but I wish they were wider. In my case the price was right.

Do the Barks require some extra work to install?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use Hippo Hands. They work great. When you don't need them they are easy to take off and put in the top box. I took a pair to South America and never needed heated grips. They make a size for dual sport and adventure bikes.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Are the VPS Barks any better for wind protection than the OEM? They don't appear much wider than the OEM. I know there are others that are much wider. I guess the Storms or Givi are better than the VPS?

You may spend a bunch of money and not change much.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've ridden a lot of miles with Barkbuster VPS both on my DR650 and my DL650. My primary purpose for putting them on is to protect levers, controls and handlebars in a drop.

But, having said that they do offer some weather protection. It is not particularly noticeable against a cold wind but you'll get solid evidence of it in the rain. My gloves stay pretty dry for quite a while behind them - as long as I keep moving.

For cold wind/weather protection I add Hippo hands like NewmarketStrom does.

I haven't ridden much with the OEM wind guards, but I doubt that the difference in wind protection between the Barkbusters and the OEM guards is very large. There's just too much open space behind both of them that the cold air can move around in.

...........shu

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all.

My problem with the OE guards is that their position is fixed in relation to the levers, because they anchor to the lever perch. So if - as I prefer - the levers are tilted slightly downwards, then the guards are also tilted down, and leave much of back of hand exposed to the weather. The BB Storms anchor to the handlebar independently of the lever perches, and (I hope) can be positioned to provide maximum coverage of hands. So although the actual size of the Storms is not greatly different to OE, the weather protection provided may be.

Highwayman2016 - thank you for taking the trouble to shoot and post photos of the installation on your DL650: much appreciated. That looks promising, although of course the V2 has a hydraulic clutch, so space for mountings on the clutch side is more limited.

In the winter, I fit Tucano Urbano muffs, which are great, but in the summer prefer not to have them fitted. However I live in Wales, where rain in summer is not entirely unknown! The handguards on my old R1100GS, although not much bigger than those on the Strom, kept my delicate pinkies in summer gloves completely dry; that's what I'm hoping to achieve.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Additional wind, cold, rain protection: Handguards Moose Racing

I modified them a little with additional Velcro strips. They go on/ off in a minute. Even in heavy rain, as long as I move, my hands/ gloves stay almost dry. Heated grips are much more effective if the finger tips are not hit by the wind!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I will add that is you are looking for both strength and protection from the elements. The Acerbis Rally Pro's you can purchase and additional spoiler for the handguards that both look great and add a lot of coverage. I installed them and love them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Old thread, but I'm going through the archives doing some intel gathering. Heres mine:

BB model BHG-152-00-NP, Storm guards (the Storms are well used...)

Reactions: Ryan Bradburn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Standard Barkbusters

Brought some universal fitting BarkBusters (shop didn't have strom specific ones on the shelf) for my 06 Strom the day before I took it for it's first real adventure (with me anyway). I noticed that the wind shield on them was a bit smaller than the standard ones on the bike, but I was after strength rather than anything else and they certainly proved their worth on the ride (dropped the bike 3 and a half times - including a spectacular 180 when I suddenly hit pea-metal - unfortunately the camera in my friend's 4wd wasn't running at the time - I'm told it looked quite spectacular!). The inner fitting brings the bar maybe a bit low on the inside, but it's the end of the levers (and hands) that are the most vulnerable and they certainly protect them! Despite being a bit smaller than the originals, the wind shield seems to be adequate, though I haven't been out in really cold wet weather yet. Wind seems to be deflected around my hands adequately and fingertips haven't been frozen.

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
What brand are those? They look different than the Barkbuster Storms.
Barkbuster Storms, hence my replying to the Barkbuster Storm thread and referencing the Barkbuster part number... :)

Reactions: pvwheeler

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the thread, pics, and recommendations! Lost the bar end on my '07 DL1000 down in Peru a few months ago. Hand guards have seen better days, too, so was looking to replace the entire hand guard on both sides. Glad to see the that BB Storm is designed well to fit.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
I had an '04 Wee and mounted OEM guards, but did not like the lack of wind/cold protection. I bought a cheap black file card box at a $ Store, cut off the flat sides, and pop riveted the pieces to the underside of the guards, and fit in some smaller pieces to fill other gaps where possible. Worked pretty well, super cheap decent fix, and is very inconspicuous. FWIW. No pics, don't have that bike any longer. Need to get guards for my current '13 Adv.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts