StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,
I'm finally getting around to installing my Barkbuster handguards on my Wee and am running into difficulties.
The only instructions that came with the set is the exploded parts diagram.
Barkbusters - BHG31
I am attempting to install the bolt hardware that goes into the grips (parts 12, 13,14, 15, 18 and 19, clutch side) and the nut, expander and collet do not work worth a damn. The orginal expanding rubber contraption of the OEM set-up works much better. When I try to tighten the Barkbuster bolt (part 19), the nut (part 12) starts spinning with the collet and expander. The collet that is supposed to expand and grip the inside of the grip (ha ha) does not expand.
I tried watching the video on the Barkbuster site but it is of no use.
Any body have any tips on how to install this set-up?

·
Registered
89 Posts
When I installed mine, I used both expanders, the larger one over the smaller one on each side of the handlebars. This worked fine on my stock handle bars. No special 'tricks' needed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I tossed all their hardware and used the original bar weights and the bolts that hold them on.

Simple, yet effective. :thumbup:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've tried using both expanders. As I tighten the bolt to try and draw the nut inwards to expand everyting, the nutjust "locks up", starts scraping the inside of the small expander and won't be drawn in anymore.
I've tried the old hardware, but because of the weight set up and my Oxford heated grips, everything didn't work right. I will attempt again once the rain stops.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just heard from Barkbuster after sending them an email.
They were great and got back to me within a day, basically saying the parts I had were from a batch of faulty manufactured components.
They are shipping me replacement parts ASAP.

A big Bravo Zulu to them. It is nice to see that customer service is still alive and well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts