StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Glee Adventure and just installed Barkbuster Hand Guards model BB.BHG46.3.SBK. They went on easily and provide good wind protection, but I immediately noticed a buzz in the handlebars that after an hour ride caused my hands to go numb. I am guessing this is caused since the Barkbuster system and weights are solidly mounted inside and outside of the handlebars. Suzuki's bar end use a rubber mount inside the handlebars and the weights are slightly heavier.

Have others noticed this problem after mounting Barkbuster Hand Guards?

How did you solve this problem?

I see that Bark Buster has an optional weight, part B66, that can be added, but I think the solution is to get back to the rubber mounted stock design. Suzuki used this system for a reason. I plan to figure out a way to use the stock rubber mounting system with my new hand guards and see if that helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ditto to PK2.
No vibes ~ or at least nothing different before/after fitting.

But it's not a Glee. Are the handlebars the same on the new model?

·
Registered
39 Posts
You get used to it....because your riding a motorcycle.....and they vibrate.....

Any time you add things like that you are changing the aerodynamics of the bike and that will cause things to move differently or vibrate. I don't have a pair on mine but my dad's strom has a pair and I couldn't tell a difference in vibration between the two...but I also came from an old Harley so a strom vibrating at its worse is still smoother than anything I'm used to.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
664 Posts
Even a slight difference in bar end weights will change the vibration you feel in your hands. I would try the heaver weights. Aerodynamics will come into play as well. The cause is not solid mount vs. rubber mount. I have Throttlemeister bar ends that are made of stainless steel and solidly mounted to the bar. NO vibration, but they are heavier than stock.

·
Registered
859 Posts
12 DL650 with VPS Barkbusters using the BB end weights. I did not see a way to use the stock bar end weights with this design unless you bend out the bracket and use the longest bolts. BTW no vibration but I also wrapped under my grips with rubber tape to push heat toward the grips for the hand warmers. BTW no vibration noted.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 DL650A (mine's not an Adventure) and installed the Barkbusters Storm handguards BB.BHG46.3.SBK. I'm not having any vibration issues like you've described. I ride for hours at a time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the feedback. It does not appear others are having vibration issues. The other variable that could be part of the problem is I installed GenMar Bar Backs at the same time. I may remove them to see if the vibration is reduced.

Did everyone install their BB like shown in the picture above?

GenMar Risers shown below.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
I mounted ProTaper aluminum fat bars on my Wee which are thicker gauge than standard 7/8" steel handlebars. Therefore the bar ends for my stock hand guards would not fit. I fixed it by removing the stock rubber doo-dads that go inside the bar ends, and replacing them with a small diameter flat washer and a 2" length of rubber fuel line. When the screw is tightened it compresses the fuel line and the bar ends say in place. You have to apply downward pressure to the bolt when you first start to tighten to keep it from spinning inside the bar, but it catches quickly and tightens down securely........ You might try it and see if it helps...

·
Registered
257 Posts
You know there is a specific fitting kit for VStroms? I had to tell the Suzuki dealer (they stock BB) that there was a specific kit, he didn't know.....
Easy and exact fit

·
Registered
56 Posts
I haven't noticed any vibrations but my Bark Busters were on the wee when I bought it. Its definitely alot smoother than my old Shadow

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thought I would explain my solution. I contacted Barkbuster and they immediately responded that they had not heard of this type of problem on the V-Strom's but recommended adding more weight. They said to use their B66 Weights.

I decided to add the stock bar weights and below is a picture of my set-up. I am also using the weight provided with my Barkbusters. This reduced most of the handlebar buzz except it is still noticeable at 4700 rpm, which is where the Wee2 has natural engine vibration. So to stop the handlebar buzz I will go a little faster or slower to get away from this rpm.

As I continued to read about others with Wee2's with vibration problems I found the link that said many others had noticed problems and were blaming the Suzuki factory engine guard (which I have). I tried all the recommended engine guard solutions and eliminated almost all of the bikes vibration.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2012/76072-vibrations-66-mph-3.html

My problem had nothing to do with Barkbuster's hand guards. They make a solid product.

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
I noticed more vibration after installing BarkBuster Storms so I ordered the BB end weights.

When installing the guards originally I was careful (as we all know we need to be) not to loosen the OEM screw too much to avoid having the OEM internals come lose and fall into the handlebar.

When removing the BB screw to install the BB end weight can the screw be removed entirely without the inner assembly coming apart? Or do the internals need to be removed?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I recently installed Barkbuster Stormguards and did notice an increase in handlebar vibration also. Rode 250 mi trip to visit family and hands numb, particularly throttle side. I ordered some Barkbuster bar ends ($50) and most of it went away. Took the same 250 mil trip this past weekend and found a noticeable improvement. Wouldn't say all the vibration went away but significant improvement with the bar ends. Recommend them.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When removing the BB screw to install the BB end weight can the screw be removed entirely without the inner assembly coming apart? Or do the internals need to be removed?
To respond to my own question... you definitely do not want to remove the screw without removing the inner assembly. I exchanged some email with the folks at BB and they convinced me that there was too much risk that the collet/nut would drop into the bars when inserting the new screw. It took a great deal of whacking with a plastic hammer, but I was able to get the innards out after awhile. They said that it is sometimes tough to get them out of the vstrom bars.

Hopefully I will find time tomorrow to take a ride in order to see if the vibrations are reduced.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did about 6 hours in the saddle yesterday with the new BB6 bar end weights installed and the bars still vibrate more than they did, but I believe it will be tolerable.

Now it is just minor annoyance that I could forget about most of the time while riding, without much after effect, so I'll say it is not too bad.

Never noticed ANY vibration before the BB and Oxford install, so it is a slight disappointment - but I suspect the addition of grip puppies or similar will help.

PS: Please don't tell me to get over it and it is a motorcycle... I have been riding all sorts of bikes for 40 years. :yesnod:

·
Registered
566 Posts
On my 2007 I traced the vibration in the BB Storm to the plastic cover. I could hold the guard with my finger and the vibration would be reduced. Solution for me was to remove the plastic cover, squirt some silocone caulk into the channel that the bar rests in and bolt it all back together. Vibration gone.

·
Registered
107 Posts
On my 2007 I traced the vibration in the BB Storm to the plastic cover. I could hold the guard with my finger and the vibration would be reduced. Solution for me was to remove the plastic cover, squirt some silocone caulk into the channel that the bar rests in and bolt it all back together. Vibration gone.
Thanks - I will check that out next time I'm out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts