StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to prep for my installation of my barkbusters and noticed that my throttle grip extends out past the end of the handlebar by a fair amount. This makes the grip interfere with the end weight which was already loosely mounted (so it didn't interfere with the throttle operation).

My concern is that the barkbuster 'spacer' will do the same thing and thus have to be mounted loose on the end of the bar.....which pretty much defeats the structural intent of the barkbuster.

I am not sure why the heated grip is not cinched up tighter up the bar toward the brake reservoir and it don't look like it will want to move easily.

Any ideas? Or should I really consider pulling the grip and getting it to mount properly so the end of the bar sticks out sufficiently for the barkbuster (or the OEM end weight to properly mate with the handlebar end.

·
Premium Member
4,224 Posts
When i installed my Oxford heated grips i cut a bit off the end of it so it didn't interfere with my Suzuki hand guards. It worked fine. What kind of heated grips do you have on there? Possible to trim? You don't want to destroy them.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are OEM heated grips, used bike, they were put on by PO. The parts look OEM, although the wiring job looks aftermarket :green_lol:

The part of the grip that extends out is the end section that curls back up (to prevent you from slipping off??) i.e. the end bead on the grip, I am sure there is no heat wiring in that section, so it might be sacrificial.

I may see how hard it is to shift the whole assembly inward a bit, I need about a quarter inch. Also the barkbusters comes with three spacer lengths that appear to fit inside the grips diameter....maybe it will work.

You know on my first Vee (stock, brand new) the right bar end weight was loose also....because it rubbed the throttle as well.....just poor assembly and fit by whoever put the system together. The left one they snug up to the grip, the right one they leave loose.

But this bike was dropped hard once in previous life and it belt the screw on the right bar end weight (because the weight is not snugged up on the handlebar's end). I fixed the screw (soft metal), but want a solid contact between the barkbuster and the handlebar tube for load transfer.

Thx....I need to learn more about heated grip installation I think.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good news - +1 for Barkbuster install kit

I pulled the stock bar end off and pre-fitted the hardware that came with the Barkbuster.

They provide spacers (a few sizes) in the kit. The spacers rest against the bar end and push the supplied spacer/weight out far enough to not interfere with the throttle grip.

So problem solved, and the hardware is top notch and provides a solid load transfer path from the aluminum guard bar to the end of the handlebar. :thumbup:

In fact, the mounting with spacers and the expander system that comes with the Barkbusters is a better design than the OEM hardware (which is a kluge IMO). No wonder the bar ends weight on my brand new Vee had the same issue. Even if I were to remove the barkbusters, I would remount the stock end weights with the expander system from the barkbusters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts