StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost did install 1up&1back bar risers today...I read bunch of reviews here and it seems like on K8650 non ABS i should not have any problems. Well, sure thing i didn't have any problems with break line but gas cables are really tied. While handlebar is all the way turned to the left. I tried to move stuff around on the handlebar with no luck. I need probably about 1'' to optimal position.
As a next step, i will remove plastic and a tank to see if i could possibly loosen the gas cables a little bit. After that i guess i would have to replace them with longer ones.
Just wondering if any of you guys had to deal with gas cables while installing bar risers. If yes, where did you get longer lines?

Thanks

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I did Rox Risers on my '07 and the throttle cables were a little tight.

I pulled thme out of the strain reliefs and mad my own strain reliefs out of zip ties inside soft rubber hose run through the strain reliefs on the frame. Just be careful that they don't get pinched in the steering stops.

You may also be able to rotate the throttle assembly forward a little, too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to rotate throttle assembly, but need more room to be 100% comfortable.
I really do not want to replace the cables. I will take off the tank and see if there is any slack left.
I really like the setup 1up&1back, my shoulders do not bother me anymore....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did Rox Risers on my '07 and the throttle cables were a little tight.

I pulled thme out of the strain reliefs and mad my own strain reliefs out of zip ties inside soft rubber hose run through the strain reliefs on the frame. Just be careful that they don't get pinched in the steering stops.

You may also be able to rotate the throttle assembly forward a little, too.
So, i took off the tank today, but was not able to find any slack in throttle cables.
I need 1-1,5'' more to be able fully turn handlebars.
Do you guys know where i can get longer throttle cables?
Im planning to go to my local shop to find out what is the length of OEM ones and see if they will have an alternative for me...
BTW how hard is to replace them?
Im planning to do this while checking valves...
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
i put 3 1/2 " ROX on my '11 650.Took tank off and rerouted all cables. It took a couple of different tries,but it worked.The only change i made was i had to extend to front brake line. went to local hydrolic shop and they cut the oem and made one 3 " longer,charged me $20. All working good after 5K on bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i put 3 1/2 " ROX on my '11 650.Took tank off and rerouted all cables. It took a couple of different tries,but it worked.The only change i made was i had to extend to front brake line. went to local hydrolic shop and they cut the oem and made one 3 " longer,charged me $20. All working good after 5K on bike.
I had no issues with break lines. I looked on throttle cables under the tank but i was not able to wind any way to get some slack.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
i also put an 3.5 rox riser on my ABS bike- no issues except for longer brake line. Clutch cable is very tight on full right lock- other than that - no extension needed.

you can extent the throttle cable to get more clearance - as well as the tank, you need to take out the airbox assembly to see how they are attached to the throttle body - undo the 2 nuts, and you can loosen it enough to clear.

Otherwise longer throttle cable can be ordered from your local shop

·
Registered
99 Posts
I guess everyone is different. My 09 has ProTaper bars and Rox adjustable risers, the brake line is a bit tight but no extension really needed. I did have to get the Eastern Beaver extensions for the wires, those were really tight and full lock on either side could've snapped the wires. I have no issues with my throttle cables at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess everyone is different. My 09 has ProTaper bars and Rox adjustable risers, the brake line is a bit tight but no extension really needed. I did have to get the Eastern Beaver extensions for the wires, those were really tight and full lock on either side could've snapped the wires. I have no issues with my throttle cables at all.
I guess my only option is to try my local store today:)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i also put an 3.5 rox riser on my ABS bike- no issues except for longer brake line. Clutch cable is very tight on full right lock- other than that - no extension needed.

you can extent the throttle cable to get more clearance - as well as the tank, you need to take out the airbox assembly to see how they are attached to the throttle body - undo the 2 nuts, and you can loosen it enough to clear.

I did take a tank out, and was not able to find any slack.
I will look up in shop manual how to take the airbox assembly and see there.
Any hints on how to take off airbox? Is it difficult ?
Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I did take a tank out, and was not able to find any slack.
I will look up in shop manual how to take the airbox assembly and see there.
Any hints on how to take off airbox? Is it difficult ?
Thanks
Not really difficult. you need a long phillips screw driver to be able to get to the clamp holding the airbox to the lower throttle body. The upper one is right there.
Once you do that, you have to unhook a few hoses and unplug sensors on the back side of it. There is one hose on the lower right side that is a pain to get to, not a lot of slack on it. You have to use some needle nose pliers to get the clamp off and the use a screw dirver to get hose off.

Once you get it out, cover the throttle bodies with a rag, you don't want anything to get in there by mistake.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im really disappointed that this easy project turned to major:) I will try to remove the airbox today and see if i could reroute the wires then.
Does any one know how long are the throttle cables? Maybe i could order from different bike?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What 2 nuts are you talking about?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Not really difficult. you need a long phillips screw driver to be able to get to the clamp holding the airbox to the lower throttle body. The upper one is right there.
Once you do that, you have to unhook a few hoses and unplug sensors on the back side of it. There is one hose on the lower right side that is a pain to get to, not a lot of slack on it. You have to use some needle nose pliers to get the clamp off and the use a screw dirver to get hose off.

Once you get it out, cover the throttle bodies with a rag, you don't want anything to get in there by mistake.
I tried yesterday and did remove the airbox. Unfortunately i was not able to reroute the cables to get enough slack.
I did also contact my local shop and motion pro to find out about longer cables. They are about $70 pair. So i guess now wait to get new cables.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it

Ok,
Did i said that to take off air box is a b....with my fat fingers:d
There is 3 hoses on the left side + 2 sensor connectors, and 3 hoses + 2 sensor connectors on the right. Damn....:)
Anyway, i did reroute the cables to the right side of the three. I did disconnect throttle cables by the grip, it was much easier this way.
I can turn handlebars both ways with no issues. Great success. Thanks to all for great info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts