StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at getting bar risers or bar backs for my 2018 Vstrom 1000 XT. All I can seem to really find are ones for the regular Vstrom. For some reason the ones listed for the regular Vee say they are not compatible with the XT version. I guess the bar diameter is not the same. Can anyone recommend or steer me in the right direction for bar risers or bar backs or both for my XT. I've owned this bike for 4 months now and every time I ride I'm getting pain in my middle back between the shoulder blades. Does not happen with my other bikes so I want to change the position of the bars and see if that helps. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Title should say 2018 not 2017. Sorry. Hopefully a moderator will see this and help me out.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Title should say 2018 not 2017. Sorry. Hopefully a moderator will see this and help me out.

Most of us that have one understand that. Shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have tried three sets for my 2018 DL1000 XT, a 20-mm riser set from SW Motech, a 30mm rise and 20 mm back set also from SW Motech and a custom set — read expensive — from Gilles that is completely adjustable for height —in 5 mm increments — and rear set back — in 3.6 mm increments. I am currently using this one with 4 5-mm shims for rise (20-mm higher) and 21.6-mm for rear sweep.l This is is perfect for me. Part number is Gilles 2DGT-02-07

To accommodate the 20-mm only risers, nit change were necessary. For the others, I have 50-mm longer brake hoses from Fren Tubo (best brake lines and then come with stock Suzuki ABS attachments unlike the cheaper stuff from Golfer and others). For the electric line on the left side, i just snipped one tie wrap and we were good to go.

for the right side, I unbolted the right side switch and passed it underneath the tryple clamp so it no exits behind the forks. Lots of room. quick tip while doing this. There's a hook mechanism attached to the front of the triple clamp to hold the throttle cables and this electric wire. Slide the throttle cables out followed by the electric cable. Then replace the throttle cable back in position. This not only lets you route the electric cable as suggested above but also gives the throttle cables more play.

with these easy mods I'd suggest you could accommodate all the way to a rox 2-inch riser

The gilles have a lot of strong points. I may write up a post omg them. One small drawback that I will correct later. But the availability of being able to adjust them (it takes about 5 minutes and nothing more than a 15-mm socket with a six inch extension and a wobbly attachment to do). I tried four settings in an afternoon before settling on my final choice which is nothing short of perfection.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I'm looking at getting bar risers or bar backs for my 2018 Vstrom 1000 XT. All I can seem to really find are ones for the regular Vstrom. For some reason the ones listed for the regular Vee say they are not compatible with the XT version. I guess the bar diameter is not the same. Can anyone recommend or steer me in the right direction for bar risers or bar backs or both for my XT. I've owned this bike for 4 months now and every time I ride I'm getting pain in my middle back between the shoulder blades. Does not happen with my other bikes so I want to change the position of the bars and see if that helps. Thanks.

I just went with a cheap set of the bike master ones. They are adjustable so you can get the exact height you want. I've had no issues with them and didn't need to buy any new brake lines, etc. I did reroute them under the triple clamp though. raises about 1.5" or 38mm

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up going with the Rox 1 1/4 bar backs. Just makes it with the cable lengths after some adjustments. The new risers plus my new Sargent seat makes all the difference in the world.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
SpieglerUSA.com retails "X-bars" and "X-Bar Clamps" which are just 1-1/8 fatbar clones and either adapters or bolt-through clamps all from German manufacturer LSL Motorradtechnik. They have fatbar clamps in several colors and rise heights available. Also, bar adapters with different rise or offsets (setback). They even have "back-set" adapters for regular 7/8-inch handlbars. Nice quality and worth a look.

Their FZ-07 X-Bar Clamp Kit included an instrument relocation bracket that I wanted (moves the FZ-07 instruments to a traditional location in FRONT of the ignition switch) . I never used the X-Bar clamps themselves so I'm going to give them a try on my V2AL4 with an unused set of Renthal Fatbars that I have in the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those risers are similar, if not identical to the ones I put on my Bandit 1250S; they certainly helped but even with flipping the pegs to the lower position and installing a V-Stream windscreen, I'm still not where I need to be - hence considering a V-Strom 1000 as the mission profile for the bike would be leaning more ADV than the Bandit but not as much dirt as the DR650.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 XT got the Rox 2in risers. The bars are 1 1/8 diameter. You'll have to slide the forks down and run the cables behind the top triple clamp and you'll have plenty of room.
Since you posted this has there been any problems noted with cables? I have the same risers that have not installed yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2018 XT got the Rox 2in risers. The bars are 1 1/8 diameter. You'll have to slide the forks down and run the cables behind the top triple clamp and you'll have plenty of room. View attachment 252957
Hey man, I just got those same risers for my 2019 650xt, cables won't reach. I am not only rising the handlebar but giving the risers an angle so it is closer to me.
Could you explain more in detail what you did to solve the cabling issue? and, if you know, is there somewhere I can buy longer cables? thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey man, I just got those same risers for my 2019 650xt, cables won't reach. I am not only rising the handlebar but giving the risers an angle so it is closer to me.
Could you explain more in detail what you did to solve the cabling issue? and, if you know, is there somewhere I can buy longer cables? thanks!
On the 1000XT I dropped the forks down and routed the cables behind them. I then slide the forks back up into the top triple tree. I have to untethered all the metal cable holders. My handle bars are not angle backwards.

·
Registered
10 Posts
On the 1000XT I dropped the forks down and routed the cables behind them. I then slide the forks back up into the top triple tree. I have to untethered all the metal cable holders. My handle bars are not angle backwards.
Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this. What do you mean by dropping the forks?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this. What do you mean by dropping the forks?
Jack the front of the bike up off the ground. Loosen the pinch bolts that hold the forks in place. Slide the forks down far enough to move the cables to the underside of the top triple tree. I took a picture of what the cable routing will look like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts