StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I have discovered the bend in the stock bars is causing some discomfort. I need a flatter bar, but the choices are overwhelming me.
Can someone provide me with bar information that will be the same as stock except with a flatter bend?

Thanks
YH

·
Registered
702 Posts
See there, being it's Saturday night'n all, I thought you were looking for a watering hole, so to speak. Never mind, I'll shut up now...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean the angle that the grips are in relation to my hands. I end up using the outside of my hand to control the throttle which causes cramping and strain in my palm. I would like the grips to be more perpendicular to the bike (know what I mean )
l
__ l___
l
l

·
Registered
285 Posts
yes....look at the list provided above and look for bars with less pull back.
you are more than likely looking at protaper type...they will require a riser adapter.
the renthal flat bars look like what you are talking about but ther are also lower.

look at the pro taper raptor atv..i think those are what you are talking about and they look like 7/8 all the way so no adapter needed.

hope this helps.

joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Pro taper SE cr high or Renthal cr high in 7/8" are a good choice.

I have seen the ATV high bars recommended in many forums (strom, KLR, DR-Z) and I was using those on my KLR and DR-Z, but found I was having discomfort. Also, those bends caused me to keep my elbows down in the dirt. The CR bend bars are much closer to perpendicular. Looking at my other bikes, I would say they are slightly straighter than "splitting the difference" between the stock 'strom bar and perpendicular, if you follow. I may try a spare set of the ATV bars on my wee this weekend, as I only ride roads with it, but if that doesn't cut it, I will be putting CR bend bars on it as well.

The bar manufacturers give measurements on their websites so you can get a good idea before you order. The Pro Taper is available on amazon for $57.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
pro taper contour in raptor bend. awesome bars

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pro taper SE cr high or Renthal cr high in 7/8" are a good choice.

I have seen the ATV high bars recommended in many forums (strom, KLR, DR-Z) and I was using those on my KLR and DR-Z, but found I was having discomfort. Also, those bends caused me to keep my elbows down in the dirt. The CR bend bars are much closer to perpendicular. Looking at my other bikes, I would say they are slightly straighter than "splitting the difference" between the stock 'strom bar and perpendicular, if you follow. I may try a spare set of the ATV bars on my wee this weekend, as I only ride roads with it, but if that doesn't cut it, I will be putting CR bend bars on it as well.

The bar manufacturers give measurements on their websites so you can get a good idea before you order. The Pro Taper is available on amazon for $57.
Please report back on your findings. I am a road only rider also.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
YH, until you get the bar changed, try relaxing your arms & shoulders and letting your elbows drop down. This will ease your wrists for the short term, and maybe for the long term.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had same problem you described with my wrists, recently switched to pro taper SE atv high. Much better! :thumbup:

·
Registered
104 Posts
MSR low or high bend ATV bars. I have the lows, am long-armed, work way better than stock. Cheap, also. Try both.
I also converted to the MSR bars. I chose the ATV-Low bar and added a set of Rox risers to the mix. This was the pefect arrangement for me. The bars provided a much improved wrist angle, while the Rox risers allowed me to adjust the bars up and back to the what is for me, the ergonomic sweet spot.

I didn't have to change any cables or make any special modifications.

YMMV
DC

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am using 1" risers and like where the stock bars lands, i just need to flatten it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions, I have a lot to research now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Last week I put on a set of the MSR atv Low bars. The first thing I noticed was how much more rigid they are than the stockers, much better feeling. I have ridden about 200 miles and like them.
I am playing with the idea or a set of the Rox risers to bring the bars closer and maybe just a touch up for longer rides.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Search bar yielded:

Give it a whirl... there's alot on this site about handlebar swaps already

that search was for "atv bars"
Easy does it. Why are people so quick to slap someone's hand? The poster is just sharing his/her experience in a relatively recent thread on the matter. I see no foul in that.

MSR ATV Low is what I put on. They are a HUGE improvement, for me. No real clearance issues, either. No more hand cramp.

Ride safely.

·
Registered
153 Posts
FWIW - I posted a spreadsheet that list sweep, rise, width, manufacturer and model for your sorting pleasure. It list most of the major manufacturers.

Thread is here:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/74211-handlebar-chart-spreadsheet.html

I went with ProTaper CR High and that has cured most of the pressure I was getting on my wrists. I added a Rox up and back dampening riser and now my shoulders and neck are in heaven from the up and back. The dampener was a little weird to get used to but now there isn't even so much as a tingle in my hands when I climb off the bike - completely worth it in my case - the strom wasn't horrible but I figured as long as I was going up and back/adjustable with Rox I'd try the dampener and I love it. It was a bit difficult to install too due to the angle I have it set at but I got it figured out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts