StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never fully remove the screw from the bar end weight. Loosen it no more than 1/2", then wiggle the entire assembly out. Otherwise, the floating expander #8 with encapsulated nut #9 can get pushed in too far to engage. A Vee is pictured but it applies to other models too.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
Thanks for posting this Pat, this is a very popular mistake that many make.....and likely still will. :green_lol:

·
Registered
299 Posts
gw-

+1

good and necessary post.

thank you.

be well.

rob

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never fully remove the screw from the bar end weight. Loosen it no more than 1/2", then wiggle the entire assembly out. Otherwise, the floating expander #8 with encapsulated nut #9 can get pushed in too far to engage. A Vee is pictured but it applies to other models too.
Yessssss! I found a nut in my scrouge bin on my bench and was wonder what it went to.... now I know! It was the #9 nut.

Thanks GW!!

Dave

·
Registered
28 Posts
First time owner here!! Found an 02 DL1000 on Craigslist for $3k and I looked her over, it seems to be in surprisingly good condition. She has 22k miles and quite a few farkles that made it worth the $3k.

I was bringing it home on the trailer, hit a bump in the road and looked back in time to see the end weight falling into the trailer. Looking at it it seems as though the previous owner had removed his completely, then just glued it back on.

I'm terrible at searching forums, can never find what I am looking for. Is there a way to remove what looks like part 5 from the handle to see if the nut is laying in the handle bars? Is there complete replacement options available if the nut is gone/something breaks?

Thanks.

·
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 is just a spacer. 5 and 8 may be present. #2 is the complete assembly and can be ordered as such. It's the only way to get the weight. The other parts are available individually.

·
Registered
28 Posts
5 is just a spacer. 5 and 8 may be present. #2 is the complete assembly and can be ordered as such. It's the only way to get the weight. The other parts are available individually.
I must be terrible at deciphering diagrams too :) So I still have the end weight and the long bolt. Inside the handlebar is what looks like the spacer, all I can really tell is the bolt goes through it and just spins.

Any ideas on how to remove the internal parts?

Thanks

·
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can take the other side off properly and push a plumber's snake through the bars as long as the internals weren't glued in.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Tried making sure you cant thread the bolt into it, without the end weight on?
This way you can get the bolt in there further and it might catch threads, then you can pull on it to make the nut/spacer slide out toward the end of the bar.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Apparently that is what is rattling in my handlebar a month after I installed the throttle lock.

Reactions: pj9cos

·
Registered
17 Posts
See if only I'd read this before re-glueing my heated grips :D

Luckily I had a suitable implement to push through the bars...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to use a wire hanger to get the spacer out of the bars. There was some residual glue where the end weight was glued in place and some rust that made it difficult to pull out the spacer. I used some pliers to bend a very small hook at the end of the wire and was able to get enough surface area to pull and wiggle the part out. Surprisingly the smaller spacer and nut where laying right where they fell off.

Big relief to find all the parts and not have to order anything. Is there a way to thank this entire forum? If not, Thank You to everyone who has helped fellow riders to avoid and/or fix this issue!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotta wake this thread up! My bike fell over in the garage - ugh... bent the end weight down a bit, as well as the long screw...

So I completely removed the long screw before finding this thread - I ordered and now have another long screw, but can't get it threaded into the other parts that are loose inside the bar end. Any advice? Its killing me that I dropped my baby - and now I sense that she's mad at me for not fixing her yet...

Thanks in advance...

Brian

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Loosen it no more than 1/2", then wiggle the entire assembly out.
Certainly true, and often optimistic. Sometimes it takes more than a very determined wiggle. Pry bar, keep wiggling & prying. I'll finally come. I put a thin smear of silicone lube on the rubber when it goes back in to let it come out more easily next time.

·
38,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I completely removed the long screw before finding this thread - I ordered and now have another long screw, but can't get it threaded into the other parts that are loose inside the bar end.
Sometimes you can fish it out with a coat hanger. Otherwise, you take the end off the other bar properly. Then compressed air or a flexible shaft can push out the stuck piece. A plumber's snake does a fine job.

·
Administrator
17,521 Posts
The bar ends and push rivets seem to give folks fits for some reason? :confused:

·
Registered
232 Posts
If you lose the nut, etc. down in the handlebar, just use compressed air from the other end to blow it out.
Be careful where it's pointed when you do it though, the nut is heavy enough to chip car paint! :-(

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
it easy to get the nut out, if ...

It's a simple job to lift up the bike, tip it over and shake it out.
But I needed a few of my strong neighbours to help me. I was already embarrassed that I had loosened it up to much figured I might as well fess up and get it out as simple as possible.

Reactions: pj9cos
1 - 20 of 47 Posts