StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the right bar end of my DL1000. When I went to put it back on, the screw wasn't catching on anything; I shone a light in and it looks like the nut it screws into has somehow fallen out of its retaining collar, back into the inside of the handlebars. Is there a way to access the inside of the handlebars to get it put back in the correct position?

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
The "retaining collar" is not a retaining collar. That is the expanding piece of rubber that secures the bar end. When you tighten the bolt, it compresses the rubber expanding it outwards to secure the bar end weight. It is not necessary to remove the bolt all the way to remove the bar end. In the future just loosen the screw and it will pull off. For now you need to fish the rubber piece out of the handle bar with a coat hanger (or your retrieval tool of choice) and then tip the bike to get the nut out. You could also remove the bar end weight from the other side (without removing the screw all the way) and used some compressed air (use eye protection and be careful) to blow out the loose bits.

Hope this helps. If it makes you feel any better, been there, done that. Now I almost always do a search on this site before I attempt something on my bike I've never done before.

Kevin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I explained myself correctly.

There's a long bolt, like 8 inches long, attaching the bar end. I unscrewed that and pulled it all the way out. Now, if I shine a light into the handle bar I see a piece of metal that fills the diamater of the handlebar; it's about six inches in from the end of the end of the bar. It has a square shaped hole. Then, just beyond that, I see a square shaped nut turned sideways.

I assume that I somehow I pushed the nut out of the square hole, and now I have to get it back into the hole so that it can accept the bolt when I put it back on. I did try tipping the bike but the nut did not seem to want to move.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
No, your explanation was fine. Mine may be lacking. I understand what you're looking at. The piece of metal you can see is the washer that the rubber piece compresses against. You have to pull all of that out and reassemble it then install it as one piece. You should never pull the screw out of the bar end weight.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sprayed silicone into the bar and then bent a piece of rod to slightly more than 90 degrees and then cut the bend to slide trough the hole. It took some work, but once I got the grommet onto the silicone it came out easily.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, ok, now it makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I just did the same thing today when I took my grips off and installed some heating pads underneath them.

Its fustrating and takes a little bit. (I should have taken pictures).

First you unscrew the long bolt. Then you pull it out along with the steel round tip thing. Then a rubber thing with a steel tube that the bolt comes through. After that there is a nut that presses against the rubber. After that there is a rubber washer with a square cut into it. Then a nut behind that that is pulled into the rubber as you tighten the screw. The force from both directions expandes the rubber and lodges the tip into the bar. Just make sure not to overtighten it :)

http://vstrom.info/vsri-gallery/gallery/BARS/Bar_end_weight

To fish it out I used a small diameter wire and then fished it back out. If you mess up both and can get one out then the handlebars are all the free space inside and you can push from the opposite direction.

eric

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ryandhomer said:
i did the same. if all else fails, take the other side off and then blow through the handle bars. sounds stupid, but it worked like a charm.
Add Stromette to the list of been-there-done-that. Ryandhomer & I had the same solution--blow that dang thing right out the other side & problem is solved. :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I call it bike bonding

·
Registered
29 Posts
Maybe just dumb luck, but I was fearful after reading all the posts about the disappearing retaining device dropping off in the bars when the long screw is removed. Well, couldn't move the screw after backing it out an inch, and tugging/wiggling every which way - so I figured, if the screw still was "biting" into the retainer when there was an inch of it out, no problem. I screwed it out completely. This has worked for me when installing heating elements, and straightening aformentioned screw (don't ask).

·
Registered
1 Posts
So thankful I found this site. That last explanation worked perfectly. I have a Suzuki Intruder 800 (1994) and just did the same stupid thing. After trying for about an hour to put the end weight back on, I looked online and found this. I just took a narrow screwdriver and pulled the whole thing out with the bars tilted toward that side. I got the washer out, then the rubber piece and bolt fell out together with a good amount of prying. I had to tighten them quite a bit before reinstalling to get the threads to catch, but all back together now. Thanks for the solution!

·
Registered
7 Posts
No, your explanation was fine. Mine may be lacking. I understand what you're looking at. The piece of metal you can see is the washer that the rubber piece compresses against. You have to pull all of that out and reassemble it then install it as one piece. You should never pull the screw out of the bar end weight.
What about if you have nothing in the handlebar so no thread to screw onto? I bought a bike has no bar end on throttle and no internal threads

Attachments

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
From your photo none of that stuff should be in your bars it should have been removed with the bar ends.

If you want bar ends again or anything mounted in the ends of your bars you will need to remove that stuff or push it further down into your bars and start all-over again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
From your photo none of that stuff should be in your bars it should have been removed with the bar ends.

If you want bar ends again or anything mounted in the ends of your bars you will need to remove that stuff or push it further down into your bars and start all-over again.
Sorry I'm new to this if I sound stupid lol I don't understand. Should there not be a little nut internally for the bolt to screw onto?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts