StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new MadStad has cured much of the buffeting problem on my Wee. However, I am still getting bumped around by the airflow off the mirrors, and I really don't like it. I am considering bar-end mirrors, and am curious if anyone has some on their Strom or could direct me to some good ones. I hate the safety disadvantages of them, but the buffeting is madly annoying. I recently rode an R6 that had them and they weren't too bad. Also, does a taller/wider shield solve any of the mirror buffeting problems? Thanks in advance. -Brian
New smilie use excuse of the day: Lest I get attacked by the masses :weapons_95: I did try to search this but "bar" and "end" are too short and "mirrors" is quite common.

·
Registered
343 Posts
First, let me say, I love bar end mirrors. They are very stylish, and I agree they would help with buffeting.

I wouldn't do them on the Vee, because of the already wide width, and the style of bike / riding.

If you really want to do it, the cheapest (and maybe best) two I have seen are knock offs of Napoleon bar end mirrors, and a modification of the bar ends themselves using a bicycle mirror "third eye".

Ether of the options can be seen on the SV portal website, and bought on ebay, local motorcycle shops, or local bicycle shop.

Throw some photos up when you do it.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
le'me get this straight ... you are upset because you are being buffetted by turbulence coming off the mirrors?

if so ... may i suggest a chevrolet?

sorry, it had to be said.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
le'me get this straight ... you are upset because you are being buffetted by turbulence coming off the mirrors?

if so ... may i suggest a chevrolet?

sorry, it had to be said.
LOL, I knew somebody would go there. All I can say to that is I learned to ride on a Gold Wing, so I've been spoiled before. It's not the wind I care about really, it's the fact that my helmet bounces around and causes a lot of fatigue on my [weak] neck muscles. I guess I just want to try something that it appears no one else has.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
LOL, I knew somebody would go there. All I can say to that is I learned to ride on a Gold Wing, so I've been spoiled before. It's not the wind I care about really, it's the fact that my helmet bounces around and causes a lot of fatigue on my [weak] neck muscles. I guess I just want to try something that it appears no one else has.
I agree with you that the stock mirrors cause plenty of turbulence. I don't know that bar end mirrors will work on a DL, but the KTM Duke mirrors that myself and a few others have mounted work MUCH better in every way, including turbulence. Definitely worth considering.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with you that the stock mirrors cause plenty of turbulence. I don't know that bar end mirrors will work on a DL, but the KTM Duke mirrors that myself and a few others have mounted work MUCH better in every way, including turbulence. Definitely worth considering.
I am considering those as well, mostly because I'm afraid of what will happen if (when) I drop the bike. These CRG LS mirrors http://www.constructorsrg.com/mirrors/hindsight_ls.html fold for "lane splitting" but I assume that would work to some degree if the bike fell down. The other problem is handguard mounting, but I really don't think I'm going to get any in the forseeable future so for now that's not an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
larger windscreen and bar-end mirrors

Sorry I can't answer the question you've posed about bar-end mirrors (because I'm considering doing the same) but ...

I have installed a taller windshield, one that I made myself, and I'm very happy with it. It reduces the buffeting greatly, and I can actually hear the motor at highway speed since the wind noise is so much reduced. I have the homemade windscreen mounted on a Madstad bracket. I had the stock windscreen mounted low and raked on the Madstad - I found this to be the best position for me for the stock screen. As for the homemade windscreen, the top is about 2-3" below my line of sight, and the results are what I was looking for.

Anyway, all that to say that I suspect that bar-end mirrors will smooth the flow and noise that much more that I think they are worth considering. Sorry to be so long winded. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
CRG bar end mirrors are great although I'm not sure how they'd mount up with the stock handguards.
I have a set of the CRG Lane Splitters on a Ducati and they're fantastic. About 1000% more functional than the stock POS mirros it came with which were only good for seeing your shoulders and even those were blury.

·
Registered
52 Posts
bar end mirrors

My Vee has bar end mirrors on, I like being able to see behinde me and not my shoulder, I still split lanes with them,but I do slow way down if the cars are tight. I have been thinking of ditching them so that I can run bark busters, I have a feeling in the winter the old hands might like to be out of the wind............

you can barely see the mirror due to the black part of the building in the back ground

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bar-end mirrors

I purchased a pair from a person/company named "advan-emotion,inc" who is on e-Bay. However, there are a ton of other sellers who have bar-end mirrors.

The cost was $17 for 2. They are constructed of heavy duty plastic, do fold inward in case you are splitting lane (not recommended) and fit on my DL650 with hand guards. But, if you do drop your bike, I am quite certain that they will snap off like a pretzel.

I have been using mine for the last 4 months including on a 4,220 mile tour of the U.S. and they worked well after you become used to looking at a different angle.

You might also want to do a search using Google with the caption "site:stromtrooper bar-end mirrors. This subject has been thoroughly discussed in the recent past.

Gary

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
I've put some Napoleon bar ends on the wee. If you use the stock bars you'll have to pull out the rubber dampers that the bar ends attach to. I've swapped the bars for narrower, lower ones and the mirrors do seem to reduce the buffeting over the stock ones.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I realize this isn't an answer for bar ends but, I have Buell mirrors on my Vee which does not cause the buffeting. I like the style as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a set of the cheap ebay ones

They mounted just fine and at first I liked them. However, after a weekend trip I took them off. For me, it took a much more conscious effort to look in them. Several times, I was passed by a car (pick-up usually, I live in Oklahoma) and I wasn't even aware there was anyone behind me. Also, the ones I got were slightly convex so "objects in the mirror were closer than they appeared." Those two characteristics convinced me that they were not safe for me. Perhaps if I had tried them longer, I would have gotten used to them.

The good part is that they were cheap, so it wasn't an expensive experiment.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Aprilia Tuono mirrors also reduce buffeting. They screw into stock mounting holes if the mounting adapters are included. About $40/pair on eBay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts