StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm new to this site and V-Stroms. I bought a 2006 1000 in October. It had apparently gone into a ditch...

Mechanically it's sound but one side and the nose fairing had damage. Also a small dent in the tank. It's all cosmetic and I'm pretty impressed with the abs repairs I've done.

As this is an older project bike and will serve as a cost effective "two-up" bike for the wife and I, I'm not too concerned with beauty. We both have our own single seat bikes as well.

Anyways, I picked it up for under two grand and I should be rolling for about $2500 all in.

Does anybody have any experience with Raptor bed liner? My plan is to rednecker it up and coat the tank, both front side plastics and nose fairing with bed liner. I've already bought the stuff and just waiting for warmer weather to apply in my unheated shop.

The instructions don't say anything about optimal temps for application. Probably best to wait but I'm kinda itching to see how it turns out.

Any advise?
G

·
Registered
14,416 Posts
I had a spectacular get off in Utah and had similar damage. The head light bucket and surround for my 04 Dl650 were about $250 each from a place in Florida. Google Dl1000 parts. The small dent in the tank is ignore-able. The repair of the crack in the plastic surround for the instrument panel has a Frankenstein's' monster look to it. A chunk of metal and rivets. Rather handsome actually. Very ADV!
I ended up with a Krylon/Rustoleum rattle can paint job rather than the bed liner treatment.
At least you are personalizing it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah I had broken mount tabs on the headlight and instrument cluster as well.

I also had a missing chunk is abs at the rear of the nose fairing. It was quite the arts and crafts project, but kinda satisfying when I finished the repairs.

Well it's nice to hear I'm not alone. I believe I will coat the abs tomorrow. After reading your comment on your tank dent, I may go the ignore route as well. We'll see how it looks.

Frankenstrom here we come.

·
Registered
14,416 Posts
Yah when the ins adjuster came by the house i told him ignore the dent in the tank. .00 nothing isn't enough to cause a total of the bike. The bent handle bar i bashed back into shape too. Replacement levers were cheap enough. I rather enjoy less than perfect. It's been many years and miles since my crash. I'm still enjoying the ride.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out the you can't apply the coating in extreme cold. I'll have to wait a few more weeks. Stupid winter!

I'll post pics of the completed bodywork project when it's done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bring the pieces inside. If your using Raptorits a 2 part I rolled a W150 Dodge tailgate downstairs in the workroom and the shit is indestructible. If your using it on plastic make sure you use an Adhesion promoter and scuff it good. I've seen it used on Quads with great results . The other "bonus" to Raptor is that you can paint it after its cured or buy a tintable kit!

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd use the roller method but with all the creases, nooks and crannies on the plastic, I thought the gun would be the best way to go.

My understanding is that it pretty smelly stuff and the wife might not appreciate that in the house anyways.

I have a pretty big shop and was going to use my compressor and the gun that came with the kit.

I've already prepared the plastic by sanding with 180-220 grit. Is this too fine? I do need to apply the adhesion promoter. Perhaps I'll do that before hand in the basement as that is a rattle can application:)

Thanks for the advise. I'm hoping to get this done in March by the latest.

Glenn

·
Registered
708 Posts
The bent handle bar i bashed back into shape too.
I'd replace the bent and straightened handlebar. I bent the original bar too, early on. I then went with a taller ATV bar with a more comfortable angle to it and a strong reinforcing cross-bar. It became easier to stand up on the pegs without bending myself in half. I don't trust structural things that have been bent and re-straightened. The extra stiffness in the handlebar (with the cross-bar) is noticeable and welcomed. This will not make your bike any prettier, but it made mine more useful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like I might be ready for the Bancroft run in early April.

I'm loving this Raptor coating!

·
Registered
14,416 Posts
Whoa, that's nearly as hideous as my custom paint job! Well done. Instant theft resistance in a finish.

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
Hello
I'm new to this site and V-Stroms.
Hey I missed your posts! Welcome aboard!

Where in Northumberland are you? I grew up near Roseneath and went to High School in Cobourg. I live in Durham (Port Perry) and am in Northumberland often. Last time was yesterday.:)

(BTW I don't know what's happening with Bancroft yet, we will have to see as we get closer but it would be nice to meet your there or elsewhere.)

..Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Tom. I live north Port Hope off Ganaraska Rd. Looking forward to meeting with some of you folks as well.

Pretty crazy what's going on now. We'll have to see if Bancroft get postponed or we just keep our distance:)

·
Administrator
13,193 Posts
Thanks Tom. I live north Port Hope off Ganaraska Rd. Looking forward to meeting with some of you folks as well.

Pretty crazy what's going on now. We'll have to see if Bancroft get postponed or we just keep our distance:)
Small world! Went right through there several times over the last week or two. I can't even keep track of how many times!

..Tom

1 - 17 of 17 Posts