StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question, but I am notoriously un-mechanical.

With all the wishing for the Big 'Strom to make a comeback, and the existing EPA issues; wouldn't it be relatively easy to tweak the frame and insert the 1250 engine,

It seems this would overcome EPA issues. The 1250 is very reliable, the gas mileage is about equal and it should be pretty straight forward to transfer ABS onto the the larger framed V-Strom. Additionally, assuming I remember correctly, the weight of the 2 engines isn't very different so there shouldn't be a big issue in adapting one's riding style,

Also this modification would mean that those of us with longer legs would finally have a comfortable bike for longer tours.

I recognize I must be missing a lot of issues in moving engines across platforms but on the surface it appears doable. :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
There isn't a big enough shoe horn in the world.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Funny my gixer 1K could lug down to 1800 RPMs, produces more torque acoss the board, is smaller and with a little tweaking do it all

Milder cam
Wide range gears lower 1 higher 6th
4 into 1 high pipe and probably 1 central throttle body

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why would you want to replace a beautiful v-twin with an I4? :confused:
I love my V-Strom but the next bike will be an I4. I dont get the love for the v-twin.... the power seems so much more linear and smooth on the I4 bikes I have rode and owned. I also dont see the low end grunt everybody talks about...I think the engine on the 1981 Kawasaki 440LTD was smoother also, it was a parallel twin.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Funny my gixer 1K could lug down to 1800 RPMs, produces more torque acoss the board, is smaller and with a little tweaking do it all

Milder cam
Wide range gears lower 1 higher 6th
4 into 1 high pipe and probably 1 central throttle body

Yep, the 4-cyl is more flexible, can be just as torquey, has more rev capability (in theory, but not usefully if tuned for low/mid range power), and is no heavier (or even lighter) than a V-twin. They are quite a bit wider, though, so would need different packaging, and they tend to be buzzier unless equipped with a balance shaft or two.

I've said before that my ideal bike would have the ergos of the Strom combined with a more flexible and powerful engine (like the GSXR1000). Honda has gotten pretty close with the CBF1000, but it's quite a bit tighter. I think the Bandit 1250 engine would probably be a poor choice for the job, though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think the stock 1250 engine would be perfect for a big DS. I've got an ABS Wee and a Bandit 1250S and that very thought occurred to me soon after buying the Bandit. Putting the two together would be magic. It's a lovely smooth motor and the low down torque is incredible, pulling cleanly from around 1500rpm - just off idle. You can ride it clutch out at walking pace, just like the old airhead Beemers, and it has a 'sweet spot' at about 80kmh in top for pottering around country roads. No FI issues, fuel consumption is around 50-55mpg Imperial (65mpg avg on the Wee) and the gear spacing is good. There's almost zero engine noise as well with the standard exhaust, and oddly enough I've found I ride a few km/h slower over the same roads on the Bandit, just enjoying the silence. Riding the Wee is like being in an armchair and the wind and rain protection is far better, the wind noise less and the seat a lot more comfy. Pat has it right though - theres no way to get that big lump in a Vee frame. It's very tall and long with the throttle bodies and air cleaner, albeit narrow for a big I4. There's no spare underseat space at all on a Bandit and the frame and body space is so tight that putting in an Eastern Beaver fusebox and the heated grip relays was a trial, so getting it in a frame designed for a V-twin would be tricky without major frame mods.

I stuck 1" risers on mine and have ridden it over the dirt tracks and gravel roads in the local area that I've had the Strom over, and it has been fine, even in the rain/mud and with the tyres running full road pressure. I'll be putting a wider set of bars and a Givi touring screen on it soon, now I know I can take it pretty well anywhere the Wee goes.

As an aside - the Bandit is an excellent bike, but it also highlights what a great bike the Wee is; if I could only keep one bike it would still be the Wee.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
That's easy enough to do.
Just install the vstrom pastics and suspension onto the bandit.
I don't know about the newer zookis, but back in the 80's everything was interchangeable.

But definitely modify the bandit to be a strom. Going the other way around is just, welll... let me refer you to what GW said rather than calling it "stupid"...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Do you remember JohnofChar's threads over on the VSRI forum about building his SVStrom? He put an SV1000 engine in his Strom, for a little added boost. Seems I recall that he about a 125mph quarter mile with it. That would be enough for me.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Do you remember JohnofChar's threads over on the VSRI forum about building his SVStrom? He put an SV1000 engine in his Strom, for a little added boost. Seems I recall that he about a 125mph quarter mile with it. That would be enough for me.
That's what we need for our Wees; the original, non de-tuned SV650 engine which is where our version came from.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I've had a couple of 1200 Bandits and have to say that they were pretty good on decent gravel - I managed to be quite naughty on gravel a couple of times on my K2...

I always thought that a cheap original model (younno the ones with the fugly front fairing) could be made into a decent back roads toy: larger diameter front wheel, a bit more weight loss, the right rubber...

The motors would be great - grunt everywhere and more economical than my Vee...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My reasoning behind my question regarding using the Bandit engine as the replacement for the DL1000 is:

1. Suzuki doesn't have the resources many other companies have; such as Honda, BMW, Yamaha etc. So I am not sure that they are in the financial position to sink the enormous amount of money and resources it takes to pass our regulatory body requirements. Using the 1250 Bandit engine would largely obviate that requirement,

2. The difficulty with the Bandit, at least from my standpoint and apparently that of many "strommers" are the ergonomics. Very simply the compact leg position of the Bandit hurts. While the VStrom's ergos are about ideal.

3. The low end torque, durability, smoothness of the 4 cylinder 1250 is well documented,

4. This would give riders the best of 2 worlds. 2 up power, good ergonomics, reasonable pricing since so much of the EPA etc., issues would be circumvented, decent mileage and acceptable durability. Those wanting smaller engines still have the DL650 (which I own and love), those wanting more "oomph would have the big 4 cylinder DL, and those with shorter legs still have all their options. A win all the way around.

I admit, I am of the old school wherein "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Apparently however the DL1000 is broke from both a regulatory aspect and based on the proportional difference in sales compared to the Wee; a sales standpoint.

Hopefully this would provide Suzuki a needed push in the large Adventure Touring class at an affordable cost to both Suzuki and the consumer. Like many people here I have ridden the Canadian and European sold Honda CBF1000. I just can't see where it has been hurt by using a 4 cylinder rather than the twin (used e.g. in the Varadero).

In any event it is just a thought. I guess it is the old Marketer in me trying to find a way to conserve and expand market share at an affordable cost.

Like V-Strom Ry and Scrivens, I absolutely love the ergos of the DL. And if I could only have one bike that would be it. I was merely looking at ways to have the best of both worlds. Ergos of the strom, and the vibration-less power and smoothness of a 4cylinder.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I had an older air/oil cooled 1200. Traded it for my wee.

I have little interest in another I4, especially in a hoop frame like the Bandit had. Lots of moving parts (four carbs to sync!) and very little access. Haven't wrenched on the wee much yet, but from my experience getting to the air cleaner, the wee is more desirable here.

Yeah, the big I4 was more powerful and possibly smoother. But then it was nearly 2x the displacement. And it wasn't anywhere near 2x as much fun. (I'm probably treading dangerously close to the vee vs wee battle here though.)

I like the sounds the 90-degree twin makes a helluva lot more than the generic I4.

Fuel economy on the wee simply smokes the big Bandit. Maybe the vee is different here.

Is there a market for an adventurized version of the Bandit 1250? Probably. But personally, if the DL went I4, I'd probably take my money elsewhere. I came to the DL because it has an SV V-twin engine.

I honestly don't see it happening though.

I still think the Suzuki would be well suited to bring the whole SV/DL1000 line back. Compete with the European twins. I can't understand how they weren't money makers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts