StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few of us are meeting in Bancroft this Sunday May 14th. If any of you want to meet for a bite and to say hello we would be happy to see you!

We would meet noonish at the "Bancroft Eatery and Brew Pub".

I plan on leaving the Port Perry Timmies on 7A at 9am if you want to ride along..

Thanks,

Tom

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
looking pretty dismal ....again.

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking pretty dismal ....again.
12° with chance of a shower? 1-2 mm?

A lot nicer than the rain I rode in every day last week! :)

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Your definition of "nicer" is dodgy ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your definition of "nicer" is dodgy ;)

I don't see how.. forecasting 1-2 mm seems much nicer than 20 to 40 mm.

How is that dodgy?

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm heading up with my friend Bruce regardless.. is anyone else (Apart for Macdoc) considering heading up? After lunch I'm heading over to my Mom's in Wilberforce so not looking at this being a day ride but rather a bit of lunch with one or more friends.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
sorry I won't make Bancroft this year

I just got home this afternoon from the Romney event. I stretched it into 11 riding days, many wet and cold, but enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Carpal tunnel cancelled til 2018. Got hornswoggled by the sun and 17 forecast today. in stead 50+ khp wind off cold water and a bit of rain tho nothing more than nuisance.
Forgot my pain pills so that and wrestling the VStrom on the highway made me sore. The ride along Lake Erie from Selkirk to Port Colborne was very nice tho with wind right behind me ,..but still chilly next to the water.
Almost got myself centre punched when what I thought was a 4 way stop sign was only two....I'd just gone through 3-4 in a row that were 4 way and this intersection looked no different. :(

Fortunate the Vstrom was a bit sluggish off the line and the pickup driver swerved enough to clear me....I did get stopped but certainly not where I should have been.

The wind did not make for a pleasant day but 360km loop and meal of perch plus good audio book was okay.

Rather ominous slant to those temps for the guys further north

Got home about 6 after a lazy ride along the Lakeshore at Burlington avoiding the usual Sunday traffic on the QEW.
House building every where...hardly recognized some areas ...so built up....at least the lakeshore by Selkirk still sleepy mired in the 50s and 60s..

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Say hi to Bruce for me!
Sorry didn't check in until now so didn't get a chance to tell him. I'm sure we'll be riding again soon and I'll tell him.

BTW Bruce and I took the same route up as we did last month...57 north, Mt Horab Rd, Bobcaygeon, 507, Glamorgan, 118 to Essonville Rd, South Baptist to Bancroft. All the roads are notably better than last month. Most sandy spots are gone, bumps have lessened on the roads that were very rough, etc. Went separate ways after lunch as I went to visit my mom so it ended up being a fairly low km day.. only did 430 km but I did turn over 80,000 km just before I arrived at my mom's. Got home after 9 this eve.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just got home this afternoon from the Romney event. I stretched it into 11 riding days, many wet and cold, but enjoyable.
We missed you Gord!

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe perch is more appealing but not the route there...
I heard a rumour there was a curve down there somewhere.

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The best days for riding are those with a chance of showers. It keeps the fair weather riders off the roads:)

Have a great ride Tom - I would come, but I have a prior commitment.
Hope to ride with you again sometime soon Shane!

There are two different kinds of riders:

Those that use the weather forecast as a excuse to not ride, and those the use the weather forecast to decide what gear to wear when riding.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I heard a rumour there was a curve down there somewhere.
There are a few backroads to get there around the escarpment that can be fun but no avoiding HWY 6 or something equally flat and straight.....the lakeshore around Selkirk and Niagara river road also entertaining but slow ....I've been riding the area for 50 years so know a few but today was more a try out some gear and lazy ride.
Unfortunately the wind took away some of the lazy sunny day aspect.....

Test run for a PA trip...glad I did not have the side cases on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts