StromTrooper banner

Ban Wire Barriers

2730 Views 21 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  DLicious
A petition has been started in an attempt to ban wire barriers. Will the govt. listen? Doubtful but I suppose it's worth a try.

See Ban Wire Rope Barriers » Petition your Australian Government for Review
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The NSW RTA would ban motorcycles if it were possible. A previous (possibly this bloke below) boss once said if they were invented now, they RTA would not allow them to be registered.

http://www.dungbeetlebiker.com/foru...his-role-in-Motorcycling-amp-the-RTA-PETITION

the Director for The Centre For Road Safety, Soames Job, has stated on many occasions and at many seminars and meetings that the he “will not doing anything to encourage people to ride motorbikes”. This would actually appear to be a policy of his doing as he has stated to many people that if he had his way he would ban motorcycles altogether.

· Registered
456 Posts
The NSW RTA would ban motorcycles if it were possible. A previous (maybe even current) boss once said if they were invented now, they RTA would not allow them to be registered,
Hi Ron,
Where did u here that quote or who from. I used to work for the RTA and the guy who was the N0. 2 at the time who i worked for always said that to me when he saw me in my Bike gear!!

· Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure I heard him say it on the news one night. (Note I have edited my previous post.) If I ever find it quoted on the 'net, I'll copy it.

· Premium Member
3,322 Posts
The road crews have been erecting these structures all over my local highways. I've thought the same thing about "what if" concerning motorcycles.

I did do some checking. Seems these barriers are incredibly effective for keeping autos contained. Yet there is no data concerning motorcycles.

· Super Moderator
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
66 Posts
solutions

Just don't hit hem.

· Registered
188 Posts
Why

Whats wrong with wire barriers. Do we know any one who has died from hitting one on a motorcycle? They do save lives in cars , what are the facts for Motorcycles? I thought they are changing them to include motorcycle protection such as plastic railing along the bottom!
Here is some light reading:

www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/atsb201.pdf

Devils advocate that's my role! :headbang:

· Premium Member
4,092 Posts
we call them "cheese graters" here

I recognize the potential problem, but you have to pick your battles.

This is only one of a great many hazards we face out there, and frankly, not one of the more severe. I haven't seen any data to suggest that these barriers are killing bikers who would have otherwise survived a crash. Anecdotally, based on crash reports that I follow in the news, I think the risk of a car entering your lane in the wrong direction from the other side of the highway -- which these barriers are designed to prevent -- is far higher than the risk of me being injured by the barrier. It certainly has greater potential consequences.

We could also talk about "Bott's dots", if we want to get fired up over poorly designed traffic barriers. Some of those are 8" wide and 2" tall, making them truly hazardous. They will wake you right up when you hit them in the dark and rain.

That said, fixed objects are just not on my injustice radar. I know where they are and how to avoid them. I spend my limited resources dealing with the moving ones.

· Premium Member
5,769 Posts
Do we know any one who has died from hitting one on a motorcycle?
Yes there was a motorcyclist killed hitting one at the intersection of Burwood Highway and Mount Dandenong Tourist Road (about 5 km from where I live) within a week of the wire barriers being installed several years ago (4?).
He was basically sliced in half by the upright steel posts that support the wire. Vic Roads have subsequently installed rubber bumpers on the upright he hit and several on either side which in itself is an admission of the barriers danger.
As far as the petition is concerned it's been tried before and is about 4 or 5 years too late. It will allow people to feel good I suspect but in itself it's a pointless exercise.

· Registered
1,446 Posts
These rope type barriers are a cheap but ineffective barrier for heavy trucks . Concrete barrier do not work with heavy trucks unless they are huge . They have been "sold" the idea of rope barriers because its cheaper not better .

When these type of barriers are hit by big trucks a few poles that support the rope ( actually steel cable ) get pulled out of the ground in an effort to absorb the impact . Then cable is slack enough for the truck to run over the cable and enrer the on comming traffic .

The NSW RTA well not much good can be said about that organisation it needs a top down reform. It has a budget of over $4,000 Million.

· Registered
279 Posts
There was a strong campaign in NZ and we have a confirmed fatality (cut in two - search Kiwi Biker - NEW ZEALAND MOTORCYCLE NEWS).

The thrust of the campaign was that WRBs (or cheese cutters as we call them) are actually more dangerous for bikers than no barrier. There is lots of evidence that other barrier types are less dangerous than WRBs for bikers.

Another part of it was focused on the head cheese from the Roading / Transit organisation said that it wasn't amoney thing - foot in mouth!

There were petitions, protest rides, lobbying and many tantrums.

Anyway, it made not a jot of difference, other than bikers ride much safer around the stuff.

· Registered
818 Posts

· Registered
272 Posts
Wait till this carbon tax comes in and see who starts riding a motorbike.

We don't try to hit things, but sometimes accidents happen. A few years back a motorcyclist was killed in WA after he hit a steel tension cable from a power pole. He came off on a roundabout.

· Premium Member
5,769 Posts
Wait till this carbon tax comes in and see who starts riding a motorbike.
The Age in Melbourne had a lovely large story today about how bad the motorcycle licence testing is and how slack the standards are and how bad motorcycle riders' level of control is when they get their licences. All in preparation for new rules to be introduced just in time for the new wave of riders I suspect.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
The Age in Melbourne had a lovely large story today about how bad the motorcycle licence testing is and how slack the standards are and how bad motorcycle riders' level of control is when they get their licences. All in preparation for new rules to be introduced just in time for the new wave of riders I suspect.
A few years ago after all the family boxes were ticked and the ducks were lined up I got back into motorcycling and hence have my strom.In order to get my riders licence back as a mature age rider I simply had to satisfy a RTA officer who perused my riding skills from the foot path on a 250cc ring ding that the local bike shop had lent me.Next day I take possession of the Wee.I road it for a few k's called into the office to check on something,pea gravel on the curb,down goes windy and the strom,yep day one.Hire a trailer off to advanced rider training,Brilliant.It should be so mandatory.Every now and then I just go and ride the traffic,lights ,roundabouts and in heavy periods just to keep the clutch,gear ,braking skills.The licence is too easy to get far too easy,and the river road is claiming mature age riders not the young blokes.

· Registered
266 Posts
A few years ago after all the family boxes were ticked and the ducks were lined up I got back into motorcycling and hence have my strom.In order to get my riders licence back as a mature age rider I simply had to satisfy a RTA officer who perused my riding skills from the foot path on a 250cc ring ding that the local bike shop had lent me.Next day I take possession of the Wee.I road it for a few k's called into the office to check on something,pea gravel on the curb,down goes windy and the strom,yep day one.Hire a trailer off to advanced rider training,Brilliant.It should be so mandatory.Every now and then I just go and ride the traffic,lights ,roundabouts and in heavy periods just to keep the clutch,gear ,braking skills.The licence is too easy to get far too easy,and the river road is claiming mature age riders not the young blokes.
some of us have been riding since we could walk, others pickup up the desire later inlife, all most of us have lost friends, fellow riders in way or another,
life is like, that wire robe barrier's are just another hurdle in one's riding life
jeebus I can remeber when Amaroo Park and Bathurst used to have armco fencing...didn't that used to make a mess of one,s body
could be worst you could riding a push bike with a piece of polystyrene on one's head and call that legal:yikes:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.