StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just had the shop replace my front tire and the bike was in and out within 20 minutes. I asked the service tech if he balanced the tire and he said yes.
This is a new shop for me and not entirely sure if i trust what i'm hearing... is it possible to mount and balance a tire within 20 minutes? and is balancing really needed anyway? :confused:

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Can you see any new weights on there ??

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Static balancing only takes a minute as does changing the tire. The real time consumer is removing and replacing the wheel and caliper(s). So yes 20 minutes while pretty fast is not uncommon.

I use balance beads and know of others who do not balance at all unless on the rare occasion there is a vibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you see any new weights on there ??
Okay never occurred for me to look :nerd:

I only see weights on my rear tire installed with the old shop but the new tire has no weights, and come to think of it never did.
I cleaned my rims last week before having the new front tire installed and never saw any weights on the front. :confused:

·
Registered
14,166 Posts
Tire shop I used to go to did the mount and balance included in the cost of the tire which was lower than a lot of the other shops in the area.
They'd be done in short order. A professional tech doesn't waste time even when you stand a watch and chat during the process. Why shops want $50+ a tire is beyond me and ridiculous.
They used a tire spinning machine to balance too.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
...but the new tire has no weights, and come to think of it never did...
If it never did then maybe your bike has a well-balanced wheel assembly (less tire), and if the tire itself is well balanced, maybe no weight was required.

I've had two Wees and both of them, front and back, have required several weights, just to balance the wheel. A little more weight to balance the wheel-tire assembly.

Of course I can't say they didn't balance it, but based on my experiences, it seem unlikely they did.

As for whether balancing matters, I can't say. I've always balanced mine myself, and have experienced no balance issues.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Tire shop I used to go to did the mount and balance included in the cost of the tire which was lower than a lot of the other shops in the area.
They'd be done in short order. A professional tech doesn't waste time even when you stand a watch and chat during the process. Why shops want $50+ a tire is beyond me and ridiculous.
They used a tire spinning machine to balance too.
Shops want $50 per wheel because its a huge money maker for them.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Most shops get paid by the book. If the book pays an hour, it doesn't matter if they do it in 20.
Alternatively, if they're swapping the engine and the book says 5 hours and it takes the more, they get paid 5...theoritically.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Most shops get paid by the book. If the book pays an hour, it doesn't matter if they do it in 20.
Alternatively, if they're swapping the engine and the book says 5 hours and it takes the more, they get paid 5...theoritically.

Every shop I've ever been in even multi brand charge two rates (tubed/tubeless) for tire changes. It is not based on a manufacturers labor book its what the shop wants to charge.

·
Super Moderator
5,152 Posts
"The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem."
Fitted correctly, there may possibly be no need for weights.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Ride the bike to speed. If it doesn't bounce or vibrate, then nothing to worry about. Isn't it the the point of balancing to remove the vibration?

·
Registered
922 Posts
My 2016 wee came from the factory with a 10gram weight on the rear and nothing on the front. When I put new tires on, (metz tourance nxt), I left the weight on the rear, lined up the dots, and rode. At high speeds, (not admitting on a public forum how high), there is no bounce, no wobble, just a smooth ride. My previous ride, SV650, came with a 10g on the back and a 20g plus a 30g on the front, (wow!). At the first tire change I removed all weights, lined up the dots and went for it. No bounce, no wobble, always smooth. Again I won't say how many mph, but suffice it to say the bike would not go any faster.

If balancing is that important, I don't know how I've gotten away with this for so long. I do ride hard, dive into corners fast with some trail braking, etc. I'm not recommending to skip the balance, but it has not adversly affected me.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Recently had my back tire done in about that time, mount and balance. But, for some reason the installer placed the dot opposite the stem. Might also be why there looks to be more weights than usual

·
Registered
455 Posts
Recently had my back tire done in about that time, mount and balance. But, for some reason the installer placed the dot opposite the stem. Might also be why there looks to be more weights than usual
One time I got a new rear tire at the Harley dealership. The mechanic did not line up the dot with anything and then needed a ton of weights to try and balance it. I drove a couple miles and there was bad vibration I never had before. That’s how I first learned about the red dot on the tire. I went back and they aligned it with the valve stem this time, only needed one or two small weights and it was smooth at all speeds.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
More and more especially on upper tier tires I am seeing no dot's (red or yellow) on them. Maybe they are manufacturers to higher tolerance, maybe the manufacturers figured out the dot was useless maybe the manufacturers figured this as a cost saving measure to forgo the dot. No dot applicator machine or weighing the tire to see where the heavy spot is. Or possibly any combination of all the above.

I really haven't worried with the dot for two reasons:

1. If you don't put the wheels on a static balancer and see where the heavy spot is lining the dot up with the valve stem hole is a accurate as lining it up 18 degrees L/R of the valve stem.

2. Long ago I switched to balance beads so I simply put one ounce in front tires and 2 ounces in rear tires. Yes I know there are 2 camp when it comes to balance beads. One being believers that balance beads work and other believing they are satanic black magic brought to earth by Beelzebub himself to mock the tire changing community. I am in the 1st camp.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I could be imagining this but I seem to remember from quite a while back seeing the dot (red) inside the tire opposite of the tread. The installer was to put a chalk mark on the outside of the tire parallel to the dot for reference during install. Might have been car tires???

Recently, when I received M/C tires via mail order I looked for the dot on the inside before discovering it marked on the outside sidewall.

I have a mind like a iron trap...rusty!

·
Registered
80 Posts
2. Long ago I switched to balance beads so I simply put one ounce in front tires and 2 ounces in rear tires. Yes I know there are 2 camp when it comes to balance beads. One being believers that balance beads work and other believing they are satanic black magic brought to earth by Beelzebub himself to mock the tire changing community. I am in the 1st camp.
I used balance beads on a bike a number of years ago and was quite happy with them. I sold the bike before I needed new tires which leads me to this question: do you recycle your beads and if so how?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I use new beads in tires I put on for friends and reclaim, recycle and reuse used beads in my personal tires.

To reclaim the beads when you dismount the tire the beads lay in the tire side wall. If you carefully and slowly upright the tire all the beads will roll to the bottom. I cut out the bottom of a Windex bottle to make a scoop. Simply insert the scoop into the tire then roll the tire back towards the scoop and all the beads roll into it.

For weighting out the beads I found that the small black lid of an can of aerosol brake cleaner holds 1 once of CounterAct beads. I then dump them into a bottle with a pointed nozzle and a small hose on it. After the tire has both beads set I then re-break the bead in one section hold open the bead of the tire with a small tire iron insert the nozzle and dump the beads in the tire. Connect the compressor and fill the tire resetting the section of bead. Check air pressure and your done. Trying to put the beads through the valve stem is doable on straight valve stems it takes a while. They will not pass through angles valve stems.

I can post pic of if anyone wants?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts