StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I received my side bags and tour trunk and all the brackets, Put everything together and mounted on the bike and I really do like the look but now I have to carry 3 keys. Does anyone have a solution where the ignition key will work?:confused:

·
Registered
490 Posts
What brand of bags? If Givi/Kappa you can get lock sets that are keyed alike so you have 1 key for all three bags.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Side bags and rear bags are OEM Suzuki.
Since they're all Suzuki, a couple of options:

1] Find a good locksmith and take the bags and your ignition key and see if the bag tumblers can be rearranged to work with the ignition key. One key solution.

2] If not, see if the locksmith can at least match all the bags. Then get a new set of keys made >>> with the ignition key pattern on one side, and the bag key on the other <<<. Mark/notch the key so you know which side needs to be 'up' for which use. Double sided keys only use one side in operation - the other pattern is just to make them either side up. One key solution.

3] Get another set of keys cut with the side bag pattern on one side and the top box pattern on the other. Mark/notch, etc. Two key solution, but the luggage key won't have the big plastic bit if you go for an aftermarket key:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/757755-post10.html

Enjoy,

Glenn

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Ok so I received my side bags and tour trunk and all the brackets, Put everything together and mounted on the bike and I really do like the look but now I have to carry 3 keys. Does anyone have a solution where the ignition key will work?:confused:
:headbang:

as someone who has carried those three keys for about 100,000K....
I have to ask.... What did you expect??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bags

Thanks for the great responce RDGUY. I will check with a lock smith.

·
Registered
899 Posts
as someone who has carried those three keys for about 100,000K....
I have to ask.... What did you expect??
I fairness to the OP's question, both my BMW roadster and my ST1300 both came with a single key that operates the ignition and panniers. And the panniers were optional on the beemer.

But yes, the Givi top boxes require a separate key.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm *pretty* sure that the locks on your bags take a different blank than the ignition key so getting everything keyed alike is probably not in your future. If they are the OEM bags for the 2011 or older 650, they may be Givi's. You should at least be able to get the bags and trunk keyed alike if the trunk is the same make as the bags. It might be cheaper to buy a 3 piece lockset from the baggage maker. Whatever you do, don't let a locksmith rekey your ignition switch to match the bags because you have a seat lock and gas cap to consider.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts