StromTrooper banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching tank ring mount bags, and decided to go with Bags Connection/SW Motech products (the other alternative is Cortech Dryver, but I don't trust their twist locking ring design to withstand bouncing offroad).

I have it down to either Engage XL or GS bags. The main design difference seems to be that Engage XL is wide at handlebars and narrow on back, and GS is the other way around. I would think one of those approaches would clearly be a better fit on V-Strom, but I can't really tell from photos I could find which.

Would appreciate any suggestions from people who have or saw either in person.

· Premium Member
8,054 Posts
The one that's narrow at the bars is the one I have and I still hit the horn button at full lock.

In other words, that's the one to get. :green_lol:

Also get the map pocket for it, it takes full size pieces of paper with printed routes. A mandatory option!

· Registered
493 Posts
Mine does not hit the horn button - I have straighter bars (Easton CR Hi fat bars) now, but even with stock bars the Engage XL didn't contact the horn (or starter) button - close, but no touch. +1 on the map pocket - it holds several road maps, my first aid kit, MP3 player, spare ear plugs, etc. It probably adds 1/2 litre of storage to the bag.

· Premium Member
8,054 Posts
Mine does not hit the horn button - I have straighter bars (Easton CR Hi fat bars) now, but even with stock bars the Engage XL didn't contact the horn (or starter) button - close, but no touch. +1 on the map pocket - it holds several road maps, my first aid kit, MP3 player, spare ear plugs, etc. It probably adds 1/2 litre of storage to the bag.
Radar detector lives in mine under the maps!

· Registered
537 Posts
I have the XL. Very pleased with it, as it holds my spare visor and a ton of other things.

I have pro taper hi ATV bars, and I get an occassional start switch hit at full turn, but that's only when I'm trying to wrestle it out of the garage past my wife's Sube (she always parks so damn close!).

On the road, no problems at all.

+1 on the mapholder, also.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
\I have pro taper hi ATV bars, and I get an occassional start switch hit at full turn
Do you use bars without risers? How do you think clearance would be affected if you added risers? I'm considering some combination of bars and/or risers for more comfortable standing, so a bag would need to work with that.

· Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Having tried GS and sold it to a fellow stromer, then purchased a City, i can say the following:

if u have a rox riser or other riser or any bars rotated closer to you then a wider front is NOT going to work well. stock bar on stock setting may work fine with a wide in front bag and so is setting which rotates the bar forward

However a wider rear does get in the way when standing up and shifting weight forward, especially if u have a tall bar like GS.

I find city bag better for me as my bar is rotated fairly towards - still get in the way a little when standing up but best i can do.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all comments. I will first get Pro-Taper ATV High bars, and if I like ergonomics, I'll go with Engage XL. If I realize I need risers to bring bars further up/back, I may have to settle for a smaller tank bag.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I'm planning to get soon the Engage or Engage XL.
Do you think the Engage will hold a DSLR with some surrounding foam? Or is it too small?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.