StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of Suzuki hard bags for my bike, but not the directions that probably came with them new. A couple of things have me baffled:
1) there are two keys in the set -- one cut with teeth (and triangular head) and the other more or less smooth (rectangular head). I can see that the one with teeth opens the bags, but what's the other one for?
2) what is the purpose of the little switch inside that has open and close markings?

I don't want to jimmy or force anything until I know how this thing functions.
Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very strange, all four of my keys for my Suzuki side and top cases are identical. The switch enables and disables the release portion of the lock so you do not indavertantly turn the key the wrong way and release your bag.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean you turn the key one way to open the bag, and the other way to release from the rack? This is the kind of info I'm looking for.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do you mean you turn the key one way to open the bag, and the other way to release from the rack? This is the kind of info I'm looking for.
You should have gotten 2 keys both the same for your side bags. Both keys should open the side bags. It sounds like you got shorted one key or got a uncut key for whatever reason.

Yes you turn the key one way to open the bags and the other way to remove them from the bike. The button on the inside of the bags marked (open/closed) prevent you from removing the bags when flipped one way.

I got both the factory side bags & top box and received 4 keys plus 2 for the ignition a total of 6 keys. Damnest bunch of keys you ever saw :confused:

I have cut a notch in the keys that open the top box because all four look the same & it is bad enough in the daylight let alone at night. At first I marked them but guess what that's no help at night and I can feel the notch with the fingers. Too bad Suzuki doesn't do what most other companies do and let you key all the bags common. Biggest problem I have is once I get this mess of keys plugged into the ignition plus my house key it sure makes a mess and you have to be a magician most of the time to insert the ignition key and turn it to run. :headbang:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, What Doug said. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Doug, thanks for that. I guess one of them IS an uncut key, which I had better have cut as a spare. I don't have a topbox, but if I get one will probably be a JCW cheapie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts