StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well never made it to work today - but made it home in one piece and the bike is relatively ok.

I was rolling along and saw ahead a Waste Management roll-off truck, I moved to the right lane as I hate all the dust that comes off of these things, plus it didn't have a tarp across the top.
All of a sudden this fell off a Waste Management truck into my path along with a 1ft section of 2/4 and other crap.

I missed the 2/4 but the piece of concrete got me -

Yep - both front and rear wheels are bent and both tires flat :furious:

I used all my long forgotten dirt bike skills in staying upright, and after walking back up with the cop to where the chunk was he pointed out the skid mark and said that my front wheel probably went 2 - 3 ft sideways after hitting and was surprised that I kept it upright.

I contacted the local Waste Management office and finally a district mgr called me back to get a report, he asked if I got a truck #, I told him that i was too busy trying to keep my ass upright to get a truck or tag #.
The county police did a report and hopefully Waste Management steps up and does the right thing, we shall see - if not then it is through my insurance.
Got it home on a neighbors trailer - breifly looked at prices on Bike Bandit - wow !!
Lost a days pay, but have all my skin, my bike is in one piece - so I feel lucky this evening :thumbup:

DK

·
Registered
900 Posts
Glad your ok. I lost a windsheild to a garbage truck a few years ago. Documented, witnessed, etc. They blew me off. I took them to small claims court. they had the venue changed to civil court, and the judge threw it out faster than it got to his desk. Thier laywers were very well practiced in how to screw you. Hope you fair better. They will ask,How far back were you? Were you following to close behind? Etc.:thumbdown:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Glad your ok. I lost a windsheild to a garbage truck a few years ago. Documented, witnessed, etc. They blew me off. I took them to small claims court. they had the venue changed to civil court, and the judge threw it out faster than it got to his desk. Thier laywers were very well practiced in how to screw you. Hope you fair better. They will ask,How far back were you? Were you following to close behind? Etc.:thumbdown:
Yeah I am hoping that since they responded so quickly, they will do the right thing.
The cop said that he sees damage from truck debris very often, roll-off and dump trucks especially, they actually have monthly special units that go after the ones with no tarp covers.

1 other car stopped about 200 yards from where I was and was looking at his front tire, I couldn't get his attention before he pulled off, so no other witnesses unfortunately.

We shall see

DK

·
Registered
202 Posts
The county police did a report and hopefully Waste Management steps up and does the right thing, we shall see - if not then it is through my insurance.DK
Don't count on Waste Management stepping up. I had a similar encounter with the same type of Waste Management truck a few years ago in my car on the interstate. A 6' steel pipe rolled off the truck and hit me. Did about $1000 damage to the car but I felt lucky. If the pipe had been a foot to the right I would have had the pipe in my chest. The truck stopped and I got the drivers name and truck number but he left before the police showed. The driver denied the incident and said the pipe was in the road already. Got a standard form letter from their lawyer that they are not responsible for things in the road and they backed their lying driver. Needless to say I have not nor will I ever do any business with Waste Management. Hope you have better luck with them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well never made it to work today - but made it home in one piece and the bike is relatively ok.

I was rolling along and saw ahead a Waste Management roll-off truck, I moved to the right lane as I hate all the dust that comes off of these things, plus it didn't have a tarp across the top.
All of a sudden this fell off a Waste Management truck into my path along with a 1ft section of 2/4 and other crap.

I missed the 2/4 but the piece of concrete got me -

Yep - both front and rear wheels are bent and both tires flat :furious:

I used all my long forgotten dirt bike skills in staying upright, and after walking back up with the cop to where the chunk was he pointed out the skid mark and said that my front wheel probably went 2 - 3 ft sideways after hitting and was surprised that I kept it upright.

I contacted the local Waste Management office and finally a district mgr called me back to get a report, he asked if I got a truck #, I told him that i was too busy trying to keep my ass upright to get a truck or tag #.
The county police did a report and hopefully Waste Management steps up and does the right thing, we shall see - if not then it is through my insurance.
Got it home on a neighbors trailer - breifly looked at prices on Bike Bandit - wow !!
Lost a days pay, but have all my skin, my bike is in one piece - so I feel lucky this evening :thumbup:

DK
Scary stuff - glad you're OK and good job of avoidance. I had something similar do in my car windshield and the construction company stepped up to the plate and replace it. Waste Management is a big public company so if you've got good proof you may have a good chance of getting all of your loss including your lost wages. I definitely go after them or if you have collision and comprehensive insurance then it's their job to go after them after they pay you off.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Last sept I hit a 9" open water valve hole on the highway with no cover and with a passenger on the back, both rims bent both tires flat. My insurance took good care of me plus extras minus my $50 deductible. I got a check for over $3300 from american family because I went to the parts dept at the stealer and got a printout of everything I thought could be damaged like a shock, hardware, bearings and all. I ordered the wheels from ron ayers and saved about $300 just on the wheels and did the work myself, then got a couple of new crowns with the extra money so it all worked out. 2 new rims and tires, 2 new teeth! Good luck and glad you were not hurt.
Ride safe

·
Registered
74 Posts
Your very lucky. When I went down on the freeway it cost me 6 weeks of work from a broken shoulder and 2300 in damage to the bike.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I checked the bike over well this morning in the sunlight, and no other damage , so it looks like just the wheels and tires.

Question - when replacing the wheels - I guess all new seals and bearings, plus new cush for the rear as well, do I need to push for new axles as well ??

So far keeping away from my insurance, Waste Management has contacted me this morning and now has pictures, the manager says that she should be able to handle this quickly and get it to their insurance (they are self insured of course), she was very helpful and seemed genuine about taking care of my damage.
Hopefully the insurance will just cut me a quick check and I can order the parts and do all the work myself (except the tire mounting).

Ironic - I had just ordered tires on Fri and am waiting for them to arrive :confused:

DK

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Fine ridin' under pressure. Hopefully WM and insurance will sort out and you'll be back on the road soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Almost back on the road !!

After finally getting done with Waste Mgmt. - they stepped up and took care of my damages.
I followed some advice and took the wheels to a local wheel repair place and they were able to fix the dents and refinished them as well.
Here are some pics;

They came out very well - I had to really look for the repair on the front wheel :hurray:

I then took them to a local shop that had recommended the wheel repair and they checked the wheels and then mounted and balanced the new Conti Trail Attacks.

So far I am pleased with the work that they did - gonna get them on the bike tomorrow and hope for some dry weather to get them scrubbed in.
Will report on how the bike is with the repair and new tires.

DK

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
After finally getting done with Waste Mgmt. - they stepped up and took care of my damages...
Well that is news most excellent. :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I have learned in the past few years that if the relevant amount is less that $20-30k (no matter how clear-cut the case) folks are more than happy to ignore you since no lawyer will take a case for less than that amount to court. The a-hole that set my kitchen on fire still owes me and the insurance company $15k! :furious:

Repairs look nice, too.

R

·
0 Posts
Glad everything worked out for you. I think I would have went for the 2x4 tho. U could have cleared it no problems and since you had new tires on order you would not have been out nothing. BTW you will love those new Trail Attacks. On my second set there is very little scrub in time they stick out the box.

RR

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You must have a happy dog.
:green_lol: Why yes I do, a 2yo Akita - she is very spoiled, we give her about 2 new toys a week, as she likes to rip them open for the squeakers, she has about 3 that she loves and hasn't ripped open yet.
We only look for the discounted ones from PetSmart.

Went for a scrub in ride today, no weird vibes - very stable hands on & off.
The tires are very sticky right away, seems much better than the TW's.
Put in about 50 easy miles on some diff road surfaces, tried to hit some rough roads to start.
So far so good - thanks for all the advice on getting things done.

:thumbup:

DK

·
Registered
39 Posts
Bet your adrenaline pump went into overdrive! So glad you were not injured, and that things worked out with WM. The repairs look awes.... OH LOOK A DOGGIE!!! : )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts