StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Some little outfit in the UK did one. It was so full of factual errors it couldn't be taken seriously.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Hillbilly said:
Has anyone EVER seen a negative review of the DL650?
reviews have crabbed one thing or another and owners usually have something that they don't like & intend to improve (like the seat or windscreen) but all the reviews I have seen are overall positive.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Have you even seen any negative review of anything in any magazine except Motorcycle Consumers News? Magazines don't want to lose advertisers. What you have to look for is things like "for next year they may want to improve _______" or " _______ was slightly less refined than other motorcycles in this class." That is equal to saying "______ was a big problem for this reviewer."

Now MCN is a different story. They take no advertising dollars so they can say what they want. But I may be a little bias. :D

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
torqueman said:
Now MCN is a different story. They take no advertising dollars so they can say what they want.
Just for the record, MCN liked the V-Strom.

Tim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not the 650 but a comparison review of 6 dual motorbikes of which the 2003 or 2004 DL1000 was one. Can't remember all of them and can't find the website again.

From memory there was a BMW R1200GS, a Buell, a KTM and others I can't remember.

It was a cross country multi-day test by the six riders with the main criteria being how much fun the bikes were along with all the other usual test criteria.

The V-Strom came 5th and the BMW streaked the field in everything but the one thing the Suzuki won by a mile, which was value for money.

The way I remember how the outcome came about and why the Suzuki was marked down so much was the riders thought the V-Strom was the least fun of all the bikes to ride. They didn't say there was anything particularly wrong with it but probably because it does so many things in a no fuss, no big deal way (that's what I find with mine) they had the perception it wasn't a whole load of fun to ride.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
Of course it only came in at #5. How else would you rate a cheap Japanese bike against a BMW or the like. In the real world we have to pay for our toys not get them to just ride and evaluate for a pay cheque. Granted, in many respects a BMW is a very fine bike but why would I want one when a Suzuki will serve me faithfully for years and cost less. Besides, it is too ugly for some one to steal it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You're probably thinking of the six-bike 2006 Adventure Touring Comparo done by Motorcycle USA:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2850

The thing is, the comments in the article itself aren't bad. There were some other areas the 'Strom came out on top (most power, top speed, acceleration, highway manners, and weather protection). Of course the KTM and BMW will be the top two no matter what, that's just a given for a test like this. Ironically, those were the only bikes that had mechanical problems on the test (the KTM's carberation going off and the Beemer breaking a luggage mount). But based on the article it would seem that they would've had it pegged for third. It got the low final rating mainly because of the fun factor and it's looks (they said the riding position makes you look dorky, for example).

·
Registered
23 Posts
They just reviewed the DL650 in the new issue of Cycle World. They had it head-to-head with the Ducati Multistrada. Hehe. You should pick it up and enjoy how the Strom walks all over the Strada.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
It's amazing to me whenever a reviewer actually factors cost into their review. However, value never seems to be the deciding factor in any review I can recall reading.

I for one get sick and tired of reading glowing reviews of Italian bikes that will never be sold in numbers about triple digits (being generous).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I have read reviews where the Strom was compared to bikes costing several thousands more and the only thing they downed the Strom about was that its suspension was inferior to the others. Well, for $1,000 or so, you can upgrade the Strom's suspension to world class (road, off road or dual, your choice) and still save thousands of bucks. And the one place the Strom always comes out on top is the engine. That's not a cheap upgrade on the other bikes. :wink:

Just Bill

·
Registered
177 Posts
JetJaguar said:
(they said the riding position makes you look dorky, for example).
Hey, I revel in my dorkiness! Dorks rule!

As my momma used to say, "Dorkiness is as dorkiness does."

- Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
For my money

You're probably thinking of the six-bike 2006 Adventure Touring Comparo done by Motorcycle USA:
I think it should be pointed out that in that review the V-Strom came in 5th, mostly based on aesthetic criteria, but it was chosen by several of the testers as the bike they would buy if they were putting up their own cash.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=2868&Page=1

"Our guest testers Tom Roderick and Dean Hight both chose the V-Strom as their For My Money picks because it gets the job done at a much, much lower price."

·
Registered
86 Posts
Italian bikes that will never be sold in numbers about triple digits
In '86 I bought a Husky 250 enduro bike. Loved the thing to death, almost literally! By the time I had ruined a fork leg and needed a new one Husky had been sold to Cagiva in Italy. All those OEM Husky parts that were not already in the USA had been dumped into a fjiord somewhere in Scandinavia because there wasn't one to be had anywhere to put on my bike. I ended up doing a transplant of a WP front end from a blown up KTM.

Moral of the story: Italians make wonderful stuff. It looks pretty and goes like hell. Just don't break it 'cause they WILL NOT support it with parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts