StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
it's already been discussed on another thread. Bottom line, NO ONE ELSE had any kind of review that even came close to having the same opinion as this review. I have over 1000 miles on my Vee2, and none of what the writer said rings true for me. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I LOVE my Vee2.
It is comfortable, ergonomically great for me, very powerful, build solid as a rock, does everything my Wee did and MORE. It cruises in 6th gear like sitting in your recliner at home, yet it can be a rocketship when needed. Yes you can pick apart any bike, and yes, there may be ways to improve the Vee2, but not much. :mrgreen:Others have chimed in, in response to this review and had similar feelings.

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
they say...

" an abrupt on/off fuel injection throttle response at low RPM make the V-Strom a real handful off-road --- and at slow speeds in town, "

I have this same problem on my 06 Vee.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
they say...

" an abrupt on/off fuel injection throttle response at low RPM make the V-Strom a real handful off-road --- and at slow speeds in town, "

There's no question that is a problem. I adjusted the play in my throttle, and it helped significantly, That said, this was also a problem on my '11 Wee. I got used to it quickly and adjusted accordingly. I guess if you ride a lot of dirt, this may be a bigger issue. Knowing of this problem prior to purchasing my Vee2, would not have stopped me from buying it. I still say the pros WAY outweigh the cons. Of course if the few shortcomings could be fixed that would be great. But for an adventure touring machine that I occasionally take off road, overall, I am happier than a pig in mud. :thumbup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
they say...

As do I. I just slip the clutch a lot.

Interesting the comment from a reader about the ECU upgrade. Are they doing this to the 2014 models now as well? Similar to the 2012 upgrade?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Interesting the comment from a reader about the ECU upgrade. Are they doing this to the 2014 models now as well? Similar to the 2012 upgrade?
No ECU upgade on the 2014 model is necessary. Different ECU altogether (32-bit) and seems to have inherited the improvements of the previous upgraded ECU, plus some.

I'm past the point of defending or explaining any real or perceived faults with this bike to anyone. It has exceeded my expectations and I am also happier than "a pig in mud". I've seen some people take exception to seemingly random, single statements in reviews and suddenly declare "that makes it a deal-breaker for me!". And that's fine too. I don't understand it, nor do I want to, but I sure would rather have them move on and be happy with something else than see them whine about it going forward into ownership.

So I kind of like reviews like this - by bringing every possible shortcoming to light now matter how innocuous, it seperates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. Cripes, the handlebars even work great on mine, they turn the bike and everything. Some of the other review observations are flat downright confusing (everyone else seems to agree the front brakes are great, rear is vaque, but the reviewer claims exactly the opposite?!)

Color me a very content "Pigeon Rider".

·
Registered
525 Posts
There's no question that is a problem. I adjusted the play in my throttle, and it helped significantly, That said, this was also a problem on my '11 Wee. I got used to it quickly and adjusted accordingly. I guess if you ride a lot of dirt, this may be a bigger issue. Knowing of this problem prior to purchasing my Vee2, would not have stopped me from buying it. I still say the pros WAY outweigh the cons. Of course if the few shortcomings could be fixed that would be great. But for an adventure touring machine that I occasionally take off road, overall, I am happier than a pig in mud. :thumbup:
how much did you adjust? I need that fix , I ride in NYC in traffic and crappy roads and these jerks are a killer sometimes.
i have to say that is the only thing i really don't like about my new Vee2
i do find myself using the clutch a lot due that.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Adjustments must always be made, that is part of owning a motorcycle. Throttle cable tension is crucial, that is why after the first 600 miles or so we are supposed to go through the bike and ensure things are adjusted properly. Some bikes are just not quite right from the factory, and some bikes when in the hands of somebody else, may not have been gone through to ensure all has been set up and adjusted correctly. That review to me is a good thing, because the rest have all been very positive.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
how much did you adjust? I need that fix , I ride in NYC in traffic and crappy roads and these jerks are a killer sometimes.
i have to say that is the only thing i really don't like about my new Vee2
i do find myself using the clutch a lot due that.
I do the same with the traffic here in DC. Do me a favor, try selecting Traction Control Mode 2 and see if the low-speed 2nd gear jerkiness gets any better (2nd gear at ~28 MPH to be exact). I swear it seems slightly better but have been curious if it's my imagination...

·
Registered
525 Posts
will do ,although i was on tc 2 the first 150 miles until i scrubbed the tires and the off throttle twitch was still there i actually finding 1st gear even worse then second

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Try a Throttle Tamer throttle tube.

I have one on my Glee and one on my ST1300. It solves 90% of the jerkiness from the fuel injection on/off. I can Ride my glee comfortable @ 1,500 - 2,000 RPMs while going opening and shutting the throttle. The ST would really lurch going on-and off throttle at low speeds so bad that it was hard to ride 2 ups in low speed corners.\. Not anymore.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
will do ,although i was on tc 2 the first 150 miles until i scrubbed the tires and the off throttle twitch was still there i actually finding 1st gear even worse then second
True but 1st will always be worse and on the Wee it was no fun either due to throttle snatch and chain slack. 2nd is different on this bike though, IMHO.

At the end of the day I don't find it to be an issue, it's so perfectly balanced otherwise that I find it easier to ride slow and come to feet-up stops, momentarily hanging there waiting for the car in front of me to start moving again. Constantly riding in a crappy environment like that makes it difficult to like anything.

Keeps my clutch hand strong which in turn helps with endurance when playing rythm guitar. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
RE: Bad review

There are bound to be a few people out there who don't LOVE the Vee (although this guy seems to be on a mission to trash it), if everyone did love it BMW would be out of business tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I was thinking about the reviewers comments about the flimsy bash plate on the Adv model. He shows how junky it is by flipping it with a finger. I agree it does seem cheap, but really what is it supposed to protect from?

When your following your buddy down a rocky road, and rocks are bouncing up to it, will it deflect a rock or 50? i kind of think it will.

Would it protect from a branch slapping up? yes.

Could you jump over a log and land on top of it? No. But this bike isn't meant for that kind of riding. If you want to go log jumping you take a serious off road bike.

The bash plate is just there to deflect common road items. It doesn't need to be a stressed member. Plastic is lighter, cheaper and still capable of performing.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I was thinking about the reviewers comments about the flimsy bash plate on the Adv model. He shows how junky it is by flipping it with a finger. I agree it does seem cheap, but really what is it supposed to protect from?

When your following your buddy down a rocky road, and rocks are bouncing up to it, will it deflect a rock or 50? i kind of think it will.

Would it protect from a branch slapping up? yes.

Could you jump over a log and land on top of it? No. But this bike isn't meant for that kind of riding. If you want to go log jumping you take a serious off road bike.

The bash plate is just there to deflect common road items. It doesn't need to be a stressed member. Plastic is lighter, cheaper and still capable of performing.
Seems to hold up well on the dirt, sand & rocks of Tunisia :thumbup:

Admittedly I would prefer to have an alloy plate, but the plastic one performs as required.

Need to say it again, that webbikeworld reviewer needs to stick with reviews of helmets & gloves :green_lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've seen some people take exception to seemingly random, single statements in reviews and suddenly declare "that makes it a deal-breaker for me!". And that's fine too. I don't understand it, nor do I want to, but I sure would rather have them move on and be happy with something else than see them whine about it going forward into ownership.
Well, I recall having specifically said "that makes it a deal-breaker for me." But it was in reference to the half-gallon lesser fuel capacity, not to "seemingly random, single statements in reviews".

You say "that's fine too" and then immediately follow with the insulting "I sure would rather have them move on...than see them whine...". Doesn't sound to me like you're "fine" at all with someone failing to glorify the updated bike. Who appointed you forum sheriff?

The subject review article just reads to me like one guy's "reality check" particularly in the matter of too commonly overstated off-road appropriateness (a matter of confusion which has always been overstated regarding V-Stroms).

I appreciate reality checks. That doesn't make me a "hater" of a great motorcycle. The V-Strom 1000 is a marvelous bike and always has been. The 2014 is a well-done update. That doesn't make it perfect in every way to every V-Strom owner, or worth the price for the functional difference, or immune to criticism.

At $13K the V-Strom 1000 gets into real money and bumps elbows with other bikes which earlier model V-Strom owners may simply find more attractive.

JET

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Last I checked......the KTM, BMW, TRIUMPH, DUCATI and TENERE were not perfect either. ;)

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Well, I recall having specifically said "that makes it a deal-breaker for me." But it was in reference to the half-gallon lesser fuel capacity, not to "seemingly random, single statements in reviews".

You say "that's fine too" and then immediately follow with the insulting "I sure would rather have them move on...than see them whine...". Doesn't sound to me like you're "fine" at all with someone failing to glorify the updated bike. Who appointed you forum sheriff?

The subject review article just reads to me like one guy's "reality check" particularly in the matter of too commonly overstated off-road appropriateness (a matter of confusion which has always been overstated regarding V-Stroms).

I appreciate reality checks. That doesn't make me a "hater" of a great motorcycle. The V-Strom 1000 is a marvelous bike and always has been. The 2014 is a well-done update. That doesn't make it perfect in every way to every V-Strom owner, or worth the price for the functional difference, or immune to criticism.

At $13K the V-Strom 1000 gets into real money and bumps elbows with other bikes which earlier model V-Strom owners may simply find more attractive.

JET
This was not a "reality check" review. :thumbdown:

As for his opinion of the bikes capability as an off-roader, well there are those that do, and those that don't!

I think he shroud stick with his little GW250, I think the new 1000 was too much for him :green_lol:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts