StromTrooper banner

Bad Gas

1277 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Austin44
ok, I posted this in another thread, but I am now seeing it is 6 months old, and you would have the scroll a couple pages to see my problem.

my post:

I seem to have picked up some bad gas while traveling through Ecuador. The problem started about two weeks ago with some major bogging on low tanks and full throttle grips. After trying some STP fuel treatment, the problem did not improve. I drained the tank this morning. I found some water in the bottom. I would guess it would amount to about a 1/4 of a coffee cup. The tank is about drained as much as I could, and now sitting outside to air and dry. Should I put in rubbing alcohol after? My old man said that would be a good idea.

I found tiny amounts of dirt and grime around the fuel pump. Should I be worried about this? Do I want to disassemble the pump to clean it and the filter?

What will be the best way to ensure all the water is out before putting the tank back on? I dont have access to HEET down here, nor a Vstrom manual.

Thank you for your time.

:headbang:
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
From your description, it seems likely that you got something gunky enough to partially occlude the fuel filter. You might be able to clear it if you remove it to have a look. I can't say how difficult this might be, as I've never had mine out.

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I drained the tank yesterday and let it dry out in the open. I then put premium fuel back into it, and the problem seems worse! There was water in the gas, but now there should be none.

Just glancing at the pump, it didnt look like the easiest to take apart. I guess ill look at some diagrams now while I got internet.

Anything else I should look at? Injector problems?

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
You've probably already thought of this, but bad behavior under hard acceleration can also indicate poor airflow. You might check the air filter while you have the tank off. Of course, I wouldn't expect that behavior to be affected by the amount of fuel in the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.