StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I was down to 2 bars left on fuel gauge and everything was good no issues I filled up with 87 and rode back to work as I'm going up a hill just lugging it behind grandma I hear some spark knocking I've never ever heard before. Just wonder if you guys think I got some lously fuel today??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Define lugging. Your profile says you have a Wee. Were you under 3000rpm, under 2500?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Use 5th gear at 35mph and don't select 6th until 40mph on flat roads, 45mph on rolling hills. If your TPS and TBS settings are perfect, you can putt along at 2500rpm but it's on the ragged edge.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The rpm vs. gear choice depends on the load on the engine. That said, 65 mph is my minimum for 6th, and I'll probably be in 5th at 65. At 35 mph I'd be in 3rd, maybe 4th if running easy. And, yes, you may have gotten a tank of bad gas. Siphon it out and use it in a full tank in your car if you don't want to burn it in your bike. If the next tank still runs poorly due to this gas, try any gas system cleaner; use according to the label instructions.

·
Registered
705 Posts
6 gear 35 mph
I'm no expert on the mechanical side of motorcycles but have ridden them for decades. I usually don't touch 6th gear on any motorcycle until around 60 MPH, including those short-shifting Harley's.

At 35 MPH, stay in 4th...bet it doesn't lug then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dam guys I'm not 100 percent sure that was the speed and rpm but it was lugging and either way I've lug it before right before a down shift and never had a spark knock do this is new and must be fuel related. Y'all need to chill out

·
Administrator
17,017 Posts
We are chillin out, but us saying you are lugging in 6th gear at 35 MPH "or whatever low speed you were at" is in fact correct. That little engine is a rev happy machine, that is where it is most happy and performs the best. Some sour gas and warmer temps may not be helping things, but you are riding in the wrong gear for that speed. ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
at 35mph (55km/h) i would have just shifted from 3rd to 4th, i never reach to 6th gear unless im constantly cruising at a speed above 70 mph

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'll get up to 5th around 50Kph, but that's on gentle throttle and has me around 3000rpm. 6th is just too high a gear at that speed and the engine lugs and is jerky. If bad fuel, or even just not-so-great fuel and hot weather were involved I expect it would knock. While these engines are quite torquey for what they are, they're not like bike single cylinder engines. Everyone here is quite right, these engines do like to spin.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Someone here posted a good guideline last year - if there's any hesitation when you quickly twist the throttle, you're in too high a gear for your weight/gradient/speed. That often means approximately 3rd gear in mid-30's mph, 4th in 40's, 5'th in 50's, etc.

·
Registered
65 Posts
35 mph in anything higher than 3rd gear sounds like madness. :jawdrop:

30-35 is where I shift from 2nd to 3rd when accelerating at a normal pace, and I thought I was shifting on the short side already.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I must be doing it backwards as I look at RPMs and not speed – but I am a commuter rider.

I shift up at 5,000 RPMs when the temp bar is still at 1-2. Once it is at 3 bars, I typically shift between 6,000 to 6,500 RPMs. I downshift when below 4,000. I typically cruise between 4,000 to 6,000 unless I am on the freeway. At that point, I try to keep up with the insane cruising speed of most cagers – 80-90 MPH – and don't really care what I'm revving at :)

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
My bike will easily sit in 6th gear at 60km/h (37mph), with no lugging.

It doesn't sound like you suddenly changed your riding style overnight, and if you are only feeling it now for the first time after getting some low grade fuel then that's most likely your answer. :yesnod:

·
Registered
192 Posts
35 mph in 6th going uphill ,, never mind pinging , i'm suprised you did'nt stall it Drop it down a couple of cogs , rev it and you will be suprised how much the bike likes it ,, my guess is you will learn to like it too

1 - 20 of 23 Posts