StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a ride today on one of my favorite mt. roads. It can have some traffic on it but generally the traffic is light and most are polite and will pull over for a bike.

So I'm on my way back home and came up behind a new full size truck. I don't tailgate and stay back a respecful distance. He is going just under the speed limit. He isn't inclined to pull over so I wait for the one section of the road where there is legal passing. We're coming up on it so I throttle up a bit to build some momentum to pass. We hit the short passing section and I swing out and give it full throttle. Just at the moment he must have floored the truck. I'm along side and not making much progress. The passing section is quickly coming to an end so I downshift and swing in front of him. He didn't let me in in fact he's pretty close and not backing off.

Well now I'm concerned so I try to put some distance between us but I'm not creating much of a gap. I go through about 1 mile of corners faster than I should have and finally get to a section that has a pullout. He roars on by and avoids eye contact.

Looking back on it I shouldn't have commited to the pass in that situation. I also shouldn't have ridden at an accerated pace under pressure.

No harm no foul on this one but it had potential.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm glad you escaped unharmed. We have our share of "drivers" like that in my area too.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
You on a 650 or the 1000?:mrgreen:
:green_lol::hurray::mrgreen: my question also. My Vee would make most 4 wheelers grow small in my mirrors rather quickly.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yeah that's pretty effed up. On four wheels it was just second nature to cut those idiots off and let them eff themselves with those, "No you can't pass me," shenanigans. But on a bike it's a losing situation... you'd rather have Mr Crazy ahead than behind you. Still, it would be nice to throw a couple of zombie spiders in his window before you fell back.

·
Registered
505 Posts
"new full size truck" - meaning this guy already, probably, had an attitude of look at me in my big bad, new, truck (dopes). Couple that with a decent engine for that truck and it'll gain speed quicker than trucks used to. I've been in these situations before and can usually tell when someone floors a vehicle just to give me hard time in passing them. I back off the throttle and make a stop or turn onto another road to put as much distance between them and me. It's never worth it to aggravate the situation. Bikes vs. "any" cage = bikes lose...:beatnik:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"new full size truck" - meaning this guy already, probably, had an attitude of look at me in my big bad, new, truck (dopes). Couple that with a decent engine for that truck and it'll gain speed quicker than trucks used to. I've been in these situations before and can usually tell when someone floors a vehicle just to give me hard time in passing them. I back off the throttle and make a stop or turn onto another road to put as much distance between them and me. It's never worth it to aggravate the situation. Bikes vs. "any" cage = bikes lose...:beatnik:

I'm riding the gen2 650. I was in 5th @ about 60mph when I swung out. The passing section is only about a 1/4 mile long. I was looking up the road and didn't realize that he was picking up speed quickly until I was along side. The end of the section goes into a blind turn so I'm trying to keep an eye on that and the truck. I had a moment of indecsion and then downshifted and pinned the throtlle. I just got in front of him before the turn.

You're right I should have backed off and dropped back. I had to do that a few times when I rode a KLR. This was only my 3rd longer ride on my (new to me) Strom. Maybe I overestimated the reserve power, just seems like an abundance compared to the KLR!

His reaction caught me off-guard my bad for sure. He had been putting along before that so don't know what his problem was. I wasn't being rude behind him and did wait for a legal passing area.

I was having a fun day getting in a nice riding groove, not thinking about situations like I do in traffic.

Moral of the story (for me) be less aggressive. I had been riding at an elevated pace most of the day, nothing dangerous just enjoying the bike. I wanted to continue at the pace so that motivated me to get around that guy.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sorry officer, I'm not quite certain how that brand new truck with the .45 hole in the side got in the ditch, last I saw he was endangering my life.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had something like this happen to me in my car a couple months ago. I was driving to work, which is a 15 mile long stretch of almost completely straight, flat two-lane highway between two towns. Coming out of the town I live in I ended up behind an Impala with Arizona(?) plates doing about 50 in a 55. Normal traffic on this road goes ~65. I was kind of close to him (he was going really slow) but nothing overtly aggressive. As soon as I got the chance to pass him, I did. As I'm going around him I see him yelling and waving and flipping me off. Just generally freaking the eff out. He motioned for me to pull over. When I started to move onto the shoulder he followed me. Thinking better of pulling off on the shoulder of a busy two way during rush hour to have an altercation with a guy I kept going, putting a little distance between me and him.

A few miles down the road is a pole barn with a u-shaped gravel drive in front. "Well, let's see if he's still interested." I pulled in and he went right on by. I pulled back onto the highway and fully expected to have to repeat the same situation all over again. To my surprise he floored it and took off. Unfortunately for, well, everybody, I find stuff like this highly amusing so I took off after him.

He ran like hell. Triple digit speeds all the way to the next town. It was the dumbest, most confusing, entertaining thing that's happened to me in a long time.

Anyways, sorry about your ride being ruined. That's always a bummer. And I've never understood the mentality behind not letting people pass. I'm behind you, I don't want to be behind you. Let me get past so I can get out of your hair and you don't have to see my annoyed face in your mirror anymore.

·
Super Moderator
16,240 Posts
Sorry officer, I'm not quite certain how that brand new truck with the .45 hole in the side got in the ditch, last I saw he was endangering my life.

Word........and heavy grain .9mm works too. When I pass somebody I never mess around, I never give them the chance to speed up and force me into a bad situation.....pass with gusto!!!!!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Word........and heavy grain .9mm works too. When I pass somebody I never mess around, I never give them the chance to speed up and force me into a bad situation.....pass with gusto!!!!!
I once had slow-moving SUV swerve into my lane while I was passing them in a rare passing zone on the Blue Ridge Parkway. I engaged in no retribution. I am not a Buddhist but I have a strong belief that karma has finally caught up with them.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I got run into the shoulder by a van while I was on my way to the Colorado gathering. He was in lane 2, I was behind him. No aggression. I casually moved into lane 3 as I got closer to him to go around and as I was passing him, going maybe 5-10 mph faster than him, he started moving into my lane. I moved over and nailed it. In my mirrors I saw him signal and move back into lane 2. I still haven't figured out what his problem might have been. Glad you are OK though, and my normal philosophy is to stay out of altercations on the bike. We have 0 protection and it will be our word against theirs.

·
Premium Member
6,600 Posts
Too many people bring their life issues into the drivers seat. Last year I had an old woman in a beater Cadillac cut me off while splitting lanes on the 10 freeway. Before there was a gap I could take advantage of in the next lane she proceeded to rant and rave at me while waving her arms. My assumption . . . she was off her meds.

When young I was as big an asshole on the road as anyone (think 17 year old canyon racer) but I grew out of it fairly quickly.

Honking at that codger won't make him drive any faster nor will tailgating that nervous 17 year old girl who just got her license. Some people just seem incapable of thinking about anyone but themselves.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Smile and wave, it really pisses them off.

Most of the time it is just stupidity on the part of the cage driver, wave smile and thank god you're not as stupid as they are.

If they are intentionally trying to take you out then prepare like I if you can not escape the situation.

A few years ago a couple of jackwads wanted my Harley more than they thought I did up in Philly, never seen 3 child thugs run from a crazy white dude so fast, I still piss myself laughing when I think about it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Not all people in full size trucks are dopes. I've been driving full size trucks for 30 plus years and I've had more trouble on my m/c and in my truck with young kids in their ricer cars. At least here in Texas I've had better luck with people in trucks moving over for you than people in cars.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New to the Strom forum but I figure I'd toss my hat in.

A few years ago I was riding to work at 5:30 am, small city, five mile ride and two stop lights along the way. I pull up behind a flat bed pickup truck with a welder on the back at the second stop light and wait. Light turns green and the truck sits there not moving. I honk my horn on my 1400 Intruder (which is quite weak) and nothing. So I honk again a couple time thinking he didn't hear and was not paying attention and still nothing. Finally as the light turns yellow he goes so I follow him through the light since I know my bike will remain unnoticed by the light trigger. We are now on a two lane road with a turning lane in the middle and he is going 25 in a 35. I follow at a distance, the turn lane ends, the limit rises to 50, and a passing area is ahead so I down shift my tractor (er, intruder) and pass him easily but notice he has gunned it and is riding my butt.

The road ends with a stop at a tee intersection and he is behind me honking his horn. I pull out and do about 80 in a 50 and leave him, but see he is coming up on me again. This road has a 4-way stop so I stop up to the sign and he is behind me again, honking and waving his arms. I pull across the 4-way and pull over to the shoulder and step off my bike. The guy hangs a right turn (there is a dedicated right turn lane at the stop that he ignored) spinning his tires and roaring down the road. I travel the last half mile to work shaking my head at the idiots.

I try very hard to not get into it with 4 wheeled vehicles, this guy just seemed to be looking for a fight, but once he had one, went the other way.

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
There are a lot of mentally disturbed people on the road. I avoid them now. If it is a bad enough encounter I will get a plate number and call 911 reporting a reckless and possibly drunk driver. Makes me feel better. Keeps me from shooting someone or wrecking my bike. Even calms me down so I can get back into the game again.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I do what I can to stay away from cars. Lane-filtering up to the traffic lights and then tearing off at high speed usually gives me 100m or so of space behind me. It's hard to have an accident with a car when there are no cars anywhere near you. It means that I am usually over the speed limit but it has worked for me for many years.

As for overtaking...thats one of the reasons I like to own bigger-engined bikes. Naked aggression from car drivers is not something I have come across much. Most of my problems are from people who have come from far away lands which do not have road traffic rules.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Smile and wave, it really pisses them off.

Most of the time it is just stupidity on the part of the cage driver, wave smile and thank god you're not as stupid as they are.

If they are intentionally trying to take you out then prepare like I if you can not escape the situation.

A few years ago a couple of jackwads wanted my Harley more than they thought I did up in Philly, never seen 3 child thugs run from a crazy white dude so fast, I still piss myself laughing when I think about it.

Ok this I think is a bit much, carrying a hand gun in your tank bag,looks loaded. You are willing to shot someone over something stupid like road rage or something. I know in the states you have the right to bear arms, but while out for a cruise on your bike.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts