StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Givi E52 topcase and last night I notice that the brake lights are not working. It appears that the connector inside the case is loose. Giggling the connector will allow the brakes to work 1 to 2 times then nothing. Anyone ever take one of these apart? The cap on the housing looks like it may come apart but is this repairable?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a Givi E52 topcase and last night I notice that the brake lights are not working. It appears that the connector inside the case is loose. Giggling the connector will allow the brakes to work 1 to 2 times then nothing. Anyone ever take one of these apart? The cap on the housing looks like it may come apart but is this repairable?
Just had this problem with the same case. There's a little cap in the inside rear of the case the size of a thumb. Pry that off (try not to break anything) and under it will be two small screw type wire holders that each hold a 1/8" tipped soldered wire. One of my wires was loose the other was broken at the solder.
Strip and reinstall wires, tighten set screws, replace cap.

Ken

·
Registered
156 Posts
Same here

Just had this problem with the same case. There's a little cap in the inside rear of the case the size of a thumb. Pry that off (try not to break anything) and under it will be two small screw type wire holders that each hold a 1/8" tipped soldered wire. One of my wires was loose the other was broken at the solder.
Strip and reinstall wires, tighten set screws, replace cap.

Ken
I spent hours trying to get mine fixed, when the lid is closed the spring loaded contacts fitted to the case move down and over time this movement causes the wire to fracture. I thought it was a bad contact as the brake lights would come on when I closed the lid but would go off again when the lid was locked, this was me just making intermittent contact. I replaced the wire completely and did not solder the end as the strands have more flexibility.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a four-pin connector between the bike and the case, with a hole drilled in the bottom of the case and the wire routed to the lid. Now I have a flashing brake light and turn signals as well. Removing the case only requires disconnecting the four pin.

I had a Givi on my previous bike and could never get the contacts between the mounting plate and the bottom of the case to work reliably.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I popped off the cap and sure enough both set screws were completely backed out of their housing. Re installed the screws and the lights worked perfectly in my garage. On the road, however, they failed to work. Turns out that the electrodes were turned about the width of a human hair and failed to make a connnection. Just a little twist of the cap and they are working again. What a crappy design.

·
Premium Member
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went for a ride today and the connector went tits up again. Looks like I'll be wiring in a new connector soon.

Morrie, what is a 4 pin?

I only need to wire the Givi brake lights any ideas for a connector?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts