StromTrooper banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That Yamaha T7 RAID sure looks like it can conquer Dakar Rally no problem, but it's funny how the "Look" can be deceiving :unsure: especially when compared to a "Dakar ready" bike, and it's a bit shocking to hear Simon Pavey (8:02min) say how T7 is millions miles away from a "Dakar ready" bike, maybe he over exaggerated a bit :rolleyes: cause when you hear his son talking, it seems he is very happy with his "modified/upgraded T7"

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dunno, whilst I agree with you that the bike is not an animal and is rather tame actually, my buddy who rides a big ass Harley soft tail and a BMWRT1200 (not at the same time) saw my Strom when I got it and thought it was totally bad ass! Bad assness is totally in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

this one in OZ took a fair amount of work but it is a seriously functional dirt bike

·
Registered
41 Posts
I can only imagine how fun it'll be to wrestle a 500lb dreadnaught over dirt roads.

I'm not talking plodding along at 20 mph on well maintained service roads....I'm talking full send, yeeting the bike up undulations and hills like those boys in dirt bikes and side by sides do.

There was a video floating around of some guy on a Tenere, he was 6'5 and 280lb, and he was treating it like a dirt bike. Full send over bumps, curbs, steep hills and swerving. The amount of control he had over that 500lb bike was astonishing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

·
Registered
2014 DL1000
51 Posts
Check out this modified 650. We can dream.

View attachment 296255
Check out this modified 650. We can dream.

View attachment 296255
OMG take my money !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Think about this. The automotive industry is filled with many companies that supply parts, accessories, and in some cases complete kits that take ordinary production vehicles and modify them for more robust off-road use. Tires, skid plates, suspension modifications, lift kits, auxiliary light kits, etc, are just a few of the literally thousands of available modifications and accessories available to the automotive off-road 4X4 community.

The motorcycle industry is no different. In fact, the very reason we come to this board is to discuss not only the basics of our bikes but in most cases the modifications we have made to them. We talk about tires, skid plates, lights, suspension upgrades, etc. In reality it's no different from the automotive 4X4 industry.

So when a company takes the time to develop and test a complete kit for in this case the Suzuki V-Strom 650, why is this such a bad thing? I still do not understand why so many here on this board continue to criticize this kit with little or no firsthand knowledge or experience with the product.

As consumers we make our purchase choices based on research, fact, and knowledge. Or at least we should. I know nothing of the actual performance of this kit beyond the article I originally posted. Is it good or bad? I don't know. More research would be required. What it does do however is demonstrate the possibilities of making our stock V-Stroms maybe just a little more off-road capable. That's not a bad thing.

However to dismiss this kit outright as junk is disingenuous at best. Is it worth the price? That's up to you to decide. Bottom line is that it's your money. Buy it if you want to and if you don't, well that's fine too. Nobody is twisting your arm.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Think about this. The automotive industry is filled with many companies that supply parts, accessories, and in some cases complete kits that take ordinary production vehicles and modify them for more robust off-road use. Tires, skid plates, suspension modifications, lift kits, auxiliary light kits, etc, are just a few of the literally thousands of available modifications and accessories available to the automotive off-road 4X4 community.

The motorcycle industry is no different. In fact, the very reason we come to this board is to discuss not only the basics of our bikes but in most cases the modifications we have made to them. We talk about tires, skid plates, lights, suspension upgrades, etc. In reality it's no different from the automotive 4X4 industry.

So when a company takes the time to develop and test a complete kit for in this case the Suzuki V-Strom 650, why is this such a bad thing? I still do not understand why so many here on this board continue to criticize this kit with little or no firsthand knowledge or experience with the product.

As consumers we make our purchase choices based on research, fact, and knowledge. Or at least we should. I know nothing of the actual performance of this kit beyond the article I originally posted. Is it good or bad? I don't know. More research would be required. What it does do however is demonstrate the possibilities of making our stock V-Stroms maybe just a little more off-road capable. That's not a bad thing.

However to dismiss this kit outright as junk is disingenuous at best. Is it worth the price? That's up to you to decide. Bottom line is that it's your money. Buy if you want to and if you don't, well that's fine too. Nobody is twisting your arm.
Totally agree.
Some people are still out there buying super special blinker's oil and they swear that it increase 5HP. (placebo farkles)
Snake oil have being out there since .... ever. (fake farkles)
Oxford grips (hot grips) have being in the market for a very good time (usefull , timeless farkles )
Scott chain oiler is another of those (usefull farkles )
Some products are worth buying , other .. well, you know.

For me, I have a good B&B bash plate, SW Motech engine guards, and 50/50 MotOz tyres, that, so far, is enough for my riding skills.
Sure with a better bike, I would be able to do more stuff, but that does not mean that if you decide to spend extra money to transform your bike into a "Dakar" version, you are doing it wrong.
If that was always true, who can explain pimped out Hummers.

AND for those who think you can't do offroad without changing many components, look at this photo:
I am the guy standing up.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motocross Vehicle

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Come on, from the entirely subjective position of what constitutes "bad-ass", I think this little bit of Suzuki cosplay fits the bill. Arguments regarding the ineffectiveness or impracticality of the various bolt-on poseur parts have the same theme as the ones used by the wife/girlfriend/significant other when she points out "you know, those aren't real" when she catches you looking at some silicone enhanced lovely. She can point out the impracticality of making mountains out of molehills, and theorize that the lady probably has a nasty personality, and comment on the ridiculous amount of money that all that illusion costs, and yet she'll fail to grasp the most salient concept: that we already know all those things, we just don't care. Surgically enhanced beauty, ridiculously impractical supercars, bolt-on costumes for a street bike that make it look like the Punisher is about to throw a leg over it and ride off, all these things are designed to bypass reason and practicality and make a beeline right for the lizard part of our brain. I embrace that lizard brain reaction, mainly because I know that my miserliness will always step in and protect me from doing stupid things like, say, paying four grand for a halloween costume for my motorcycle.

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
449 Posts
I'm not a Rally Raid critic. Modify away.

For me, if I wanted to make my VStrom 650 XT more off road oriented, I would just upgrade the suspension with Cogent and be done with it. I actually plan on doing this soon. I wouldn't want a 21/18 wheelset, because that's just NOT going to make much of a difference.

Now before anyone says, "Have you ever ridden a bike with a 21 front wheel.....", yes I have. I owned a DR650 and loved it.

I believe, and some may disagree, that one of the better qualities of a good, off road oriented bike, is not necessarily the front wheel size, but it is the chassis. Bikes like the AT, KTM's, T7, and so forth, have this very endearing quality of having a weight distribution that makes it easy to lighten that front wheel under power. Off road, I feel this is an important quality to be able to run over or "lift over" larger obstacles like ruts, big whoops, or just plain soften the landing if you catch some air. You have to really try hard to do this on the VStrom chassis. It takes way more effort. On my DR650, I could easily just throttle up, move my weight back a bit, and the front end floats along the surface. The VStrom chassis tends to want to "plow" its front end along the surface. ;) But that same characteristic is what gives the VStrom such great pavement feedback.

I need to get a T7 as a second bike.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts